“Disappointed - try elsewhere”

SpringHill Suites Erie
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Erie
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Based on the majority of reviews here we expected a pleasant stay. From the start it was one disappointment after another. I had arranged for a specially cleaned, allergy-free room and was told one would be ready for check-in at 3. We arrived at 2:50 and were given keys to the room. We went up to the room and it was already occupied by someone else. That's right - two guests were given keys to the same room. It took 2 hours for them to prepare another room. We were not offered any compensation but simply told to wait by the pool until our room was ready.

The room was not clean - dust was still on the furniture, the toilet was unclean and the rug had not been vacuumed.

The room is not really a suite. It is one room with a sleeping area and a sitting area, which contains a pull out couch, small desk, fridge and sink.

The AC was LOUD and the control did not work adequately. The room was either too hot or too cold, and the unit was located next to the bed, so that to cool the entire room the bed area was freezing. There was no way to get a good temp in any area of the room nor to have the room be the same temp throughout. The AC kept us up if it was on because of the noise or we were unable to sleep because it was too hot when it was off. We were all grumpy because of disrupted sleep.

Breakfast was the same every morning - cold cereals, oatmeal, dried scrambled eggs, fake sausage, toast and waffles. During the week there was no line, but on the weekend, there was a very long, slow moving line (likely due to the make-your-own waffle station and poorly designed buffet flow). There was inadequate seating - we had to wait in a long line for our food and then wait for a table to eat it. Guests resorted to the same thing - one family member hovering over those sitting and eating until they were about done and then grabbing the table. Breakfast on weekends was a 40 minute plus ordeal and not even pleasant/relaxing because people were hovering around waiting for our table.

They advertise "complementary newspapers" but on the weekends (which included Friday), the papers were gone 1 hour into breakfast. No apology, no attempt to get additional papers.

We typically choose Marriot because of the quality. This was disappointing, especially for the price (no discount off the list price). We will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Fran E
Phil E, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Hello,

My name is Phil the General Manager since Oct 2011. I apologize that your review was never responded to even though your valuable feedback was read. In retrospect the fact that you took the time to comment us made me feel bad a response was not posted. Therefore if you are out there THANK YOU on behalf of the team at SpringHill Suites Erie!!

Please give us another try and see the changes for yourself!!

Reviewed 11 August 2011

great hotel, clean, good continental breakfast, great layout of the room, helpful staff

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Phil E, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Hello,

My name is Phil the General Manager since Oct 2011. I apologize that your fantastic review was never responded to even though your valuable feedback was read. In retrospect the fact that you took the time to compliment us made me feel bad a response was not posted. Therefore if you are out there THANK YOU on behalf of the team at SpringHill Suites Marriott Erie!!.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

We arrived late, no reservation, looking like bikers (because we were riding-thru rain), got the last room. Friendly, helpful staff (Kimberly-at the front desk). Fantastic room, jacuzzi tub, coffee in lobby, recommendations for dinner, very good continental breakfast. Great location, close to shops, and the highway-to get going.

Room Tip: Request a possible upgrade, be nice
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
CoryCartwright, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay. It is fantastic to hear that our staff and hotel has made your experience one that you will remember. We look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

Our room was dirty and the sheets had not been changed. There were crumbs and hair on the floor. There were lollypops behind the bed and the carpet had not been vacuumed. We told the operations manager and the manager on duty about it and they both argued with us about it. We also went to the beakfast bar and they automatically checked us out of our room while we were down there. We had left some flowers and tomatoes in our fridge until after we got done eating. When we came back the housekeeper ( same one that had not cleaned it good) had started "cleaning our room" because she "thought" we had checked out. She had thrown our flowers out and you could tell she had just spread up the beds and not changed the sheets for the next person. So overall this is supposed to be a new hotel that is clean, but it is not. The management is half rate and the housekeeping is lazy....not a good combination for running a successful hotel! Do not stay here unless you want to be humiliated, sleep in dirty sheets and have someone argue with you!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank BSLoops

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. As when you were at the hotel, we investigated the issues that you stated here and miscommunication was the cause of the dissatisfaction in which was rectified during your stay.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed at the SpringHill Suites during three recent business trips to Erie because I wanted a Marriott. It was about what I would have expected from one of their extended-stay-style properties.

Breakfast is free and pretty good. There were both hot and cold options, including a waffle maker and scrambled eggs. For dinner, there are several chain restaurants located in the area. Beyond those, the staff is not that helpful with recommendations.

The rooms were clean and a good size. They included a "mini-kitchen" (sink, microwave, fridge). There is an indoor pool and a decent exercise room as well.

If I have to go back to Erie again, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Hello,

My name is Phil the General Manager since Oct 2011. I apologize that your good review was never responded to even though your valuable feedback was read. In retrospect the fact that you took the time to compliment us made me feel bad a response was not posted. Therefore if you are out there THANK YOU on behalf of the team at SpringHill Suites Erie!!

Reviewed 24 May 2011

I stayed at the Springhill Suites the weekend of 5/21/11, from the reviews I read I was expecting a great stay, but unfortunately the stay was not pleasant.
To start, I was not impressed with the cleanliness and upkeep of the room- the bathroom floor was dirty and we noted what appeared to be greasy footprints on the headboard (gross). Luckily my wife had a cache of anti-bac wipes and we cleaned the room ourselves.
Besides that, two of the lights were burnt out in the room and the stopper in the tub was broken out completely- more signs of being poorly maintained.
Unbelievably the TV did not work either. We called the front desk and they sent someone up immediately who fiddled with the set for a bit. The TV then worked for a while but then decided to break again; at this point I figured it was not worth my trouble to call for assistance.
My family had a very poor night of sleep due to the fact that the AC was horrific. I swear the unit ran every ten minutes and was ridiculously loud with the temperature swinging rapidly from hot to unbearably cold.
The rooms were very noisy as well. I could hear people closing doors and talking in the hall. (That is when all was not drowned out by the roaring AC).
If I did have to say something positive about the hotel it would be that my family did enjoy the pool and check in process was swift.
All in all my stay was not enjoyable and I will be making other arrangements when visiting Erie again in the future. I advise you to do the same. I usually choose Marriott chain hotels exclusively as I travel a lot for work and prefer their rewards program. In this instance I was shocked- In the years I have been staying with this brand I have never seen such a poorly maintained room.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank grminalac
CoryCartwright, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2011

We apologize that your stay was not what you expected and that we did not live up to your expectations. We appreciate your feedback as we work to improve everyone's stay. I am sorry that we did not have the opportunity to correct the concerns of your stay while you were here.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

Spring hill Suites by Marriott was everything that I expected for my one night stay. The hotel was convenient as far as access off of major highway and to the areas that I needed to visit. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. Also they offered free hot breakfast, wi-fi & Parking.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family