“A property past its prime - needs renovation”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed 1 March 2008

I've been staying in Erie every Monday thru Friday for several weeks for business and decided to try the Econo Lodge to save some money. I saved money, but it wasn't worth the downgrade in quality from the Fairfield.

The Econo Lodge is sufficiently clean, but the carpets look like they haven't been scrubbed in a few years. The hotel has a general faint smell of cigarette smoke and cleaning products. Although my room itself didn't smell of cigarettes, the doors didn't seal well, so the smell of smoke from a nearby room was very strong. In addition, the doors and walls were paper thin, so hallway noises and noise from adjacent rooms was very annoying. The TV was very old and had poor picture quality. The decor was about 10 years out of date.

The breakfast bar is a carb-lovers dream, but if you are looking for healthy alternatives, you are out of luck.

In general, the property is in need of major upgrades and just seems like they haven't done much to it in several years.

There were a couple of positives about this hotel.
The indoor pool looked very nice, although I didn't try it out.
The price was significantly lower than many of the options.
The high speed internet worked fine.
The standard room has a small microwave oven.

I would only recommend this hotel for someone looking for a bargain, especially families who need the basics at a reasonable price and want an indoor pool to keep the kids occupied.

If you are turned off by noisy or dated properties, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 January 2008

Splash Lagoon is just accross the street and I saw a shuttle picking people up from the hotel. We weren't there for that reason, but judging from most of the guests, I'd say that's why a lot of people stay here. We were visiting Gannon Univ. and got a university discount on the room, making the rate very reasonable. The rooms and the bathroom are on the small side, but were very clean. The beds were fairly firm and very comfortable, with crisp linens. The bathroom only had a shower (no tub) which was a little tricky to use. There is a lever to turn it on, but I couldn't figure out how to adjust the temperature. My son had to point out a small knob in the center where the temperature can be adjusted. Unfortunately this was after my lukewarm shower. Because of the number of kids staying at the hotel, I was very worried about getting a good night's sleep. We never heard anything, including the freeway traffic we could see from our window. Breakfast consisted of waffles, fruit cups, yogurt, dry cereal, English muffins, and mini-muffins.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank tamaralea
Reviewed 30 November 2007

We spent a night here while traveling. The room was clean and comfortable. The pool is large and the pool/hot tub area very pleasant. A great breakfast was included with waffles, pastries, fruit, etc. The room for breakfast was nice and roomy, too, not like some hotels that have room for only 8-10 people at a time. The staff at check in and out were pleasant. All in all a very satisfactory spot for an overnight stay along the I-90 corridor.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2007

Everything was clean and in good working order. Indoor pool is very nice for the kids. Just around the corner from the Family First Sports Complex which we visited for a soccer tournament. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank TripReviewerKY
Reviewed 18 October 2007

The Econo Lodge in Erie, PA is a great value for the money. It's a budget hotel, with some pretty nice amenities.

My sister and I spent the night in a double room with comfortable beds, a mini refrigerator, microwave, and TV for $80. The bathroom only has a shower, but water pressure is great. My parents were in a "suite" that had slightly better decor and a jacuzzi tub. With their AAA discount, they also paid $80 a night. Breakfast is included in the price - cold cereal, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, waffles, toast, juice, coffee/tea. Wi-fi is free, too.

The hotel has a fitness center and a pool decorated in a faux-Caribbean style. It's competing with a Holiday Inn Express across the street that has a water park attached to it, so the EconoLodge has upgraded its offerings to attract visitors.

The upholstery of the lobby furniture could use a good cleaning. That's when I remembered it was a budget hotel.

All in all, a fine place to stay if you happen to go to Erie, PA.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank julia575
Reviewed 12 October 2007

If you are looking for a great place to crash after a hard day of shopping....look no further!! This is a great hotel. I found it to be very clean and comfortable.

The front desk staff were very helpful when asked about the local area about things to do, what to see, and where to go, and how to get there!

The cleaning staff were also very friendly and on both mornings, I was ALWAYS greeted with a friendly, 'Hello' everytime.

The facilities were a pleasant surprise from what I was expecting. The indoor pool area was clean and in great condition. The continental breakfast was ok.

The room was clean, the bed very comfortable, and our room was very quiet as we were on the side AWAY from the interstate highway!!!! Not sure what the other side would be like but to very truthful but I suspect it might not be as quiet!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank skiddercat
Reviewed 12 September 2007

Our room was a King-suite which meant King bed, jacuzzi, sofa, microwave, fridge, coffee maker (but no decaf, only regular!?). It was very nice, clean, spacious enough, and the pool downstairs was excellent; nice airy setting with huge skylights, showers, dry sauna, plenty of towels down there. Also there was a full fitness room with loads of cycles and other stuff which I didn't really look at too closely.

The breakfast was good enough, a special 'breakfast room' with toasters and waffle makers, muffins, bagels, bread, along with basic fruit (apples, oranges, bananas) and a couple of juices available in addition to the tea and coffee. You can eat in there or take it out.

We had a great time; just walked in and got a AAA discount which made the room $69.95. Great value these days.

The only slight problem we had was with the TV in our room - the picture was exremely fuzzy and the clerk failed to keep his promise to come and check it out for us. We didn't really want to watch TV too much anyway so it wasn't a big problem for us, but maybe would've been more upsetting to someone else.

I'd recommend this place to friends, and go back myself.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple