“Love this place”

The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #35 of 38 Hotels in Erie
“Love this place”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Can I say enough nice things about this Hotel. I stayed at this hotel many times over the years and I'll keep coming back. The staff is very helpful and if you have any need it's only a question away. I attended a conference at the Avalon and stay for two nights . Very comfortable even with the remodeling they have been undergoing for almost a year now . I was in order room but also visited friends in some of the newer remodeled rooms and they're all just gorgeous. I wholeheartedly recommend staying at the Avalon when you need downtown Erie accommodations.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Dallas
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay. Although there were some things wrong but overall I liked the hotel. They had very nice housekeepers. The front desk employees were exceptional and polite. The two that helped me feel more welcome were Heather and Alex. They had very positive attitudes and kept a smile on their faces. I would recommend this hotel to pretty much anyone. The hotel is convenient to everything downtown and was very nice. Thanks for the comfortable stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed at The Avalon for six days. It's location is fantastic. I can't comment on other rooms but the one I occupied was very reasonably priced and comfortable.

The housekeeping staff are friendly and efficient. The front desk personnel were professional and helpful.

For a reasonably priced, conveniently located hotel, I would recommend this to anyone visiting Erie.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed here for a wedding. The wedding was beautiful and the ballroom was great. But that's where it all ends.

I had to give this hotel a rating just so I could publish my review. If it were an option to not select a rating, I would have gone that route.

The hotel lists a shuttle is available. In reality, it is a Honda minivan that was driven by the maintenance man for the hotel, who just happened to be available to pick up us up at the airport. We were greeted at the front desk by a couple of teenage employees, other than the lack of professionalism I am accustomed to at hotels, they got us checked in. The entire hotel is dated The hotel restaurant was closed and appeared to only open for weekend breakfast buffets. Our room was supposedly remodeled, which I'd hate to see what the room looked and smelled like before. The entire room smelled gross; a mildew smell mixed with some other stench. The bath tub did not drain and we had to take showers standing in 5 inches of water. We called the lobby and they said they would send maintenance, but no one showed up (probably driving the shuttle, again). I ended up going next door to my sister's room to shower. That bathtub didn't drain either. The next day we decided to use her shower again since the maintenance guy never showed up. We pulled back the shower curtain and apparently the plumbing backed up into her tub and their was who knows what in the tub. We called down to the lobby and again, no one showed up. There were some bugs on the wall in my room that I had to kill with a shoe. The walls are thin; plus the doors have giant gaps at the bottom. You can hear EVERYTHING, no matter if it was coming from the next room or the hallway. If Bounty came in bath towel size, this is what this hotel offers as towels. I CANNOT REITERATE HOW AWFUL THIS "HOTEL" IS. Save yourself the trouble and grief and just find another hotel.

Room Tip: Trip Advisor wouldn't let me type this in all Caps>>>as far as I'm concerned there...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Erie hotels

Chesley
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Where do I start. I am one of those people who do not write a bad review. I feel that as long as the staff are helpful and the room is clean I can overlook a lot. We booked a renovated room at this hotel online for 3 nights for a reasonable rate. We checked in at midnight on a Thursday night and were told that the room we requested was not available as it was dirty. Check-out is 11:00 a.m. and the room was still dirty?? The front desk clerk asked how we received that rate and then booked us into a room on the 8th floor. It wasn't the greatest room but for a place to sleep we thought it would do. NOT Out of 6 lights in the room 2 worked. The ceiling was separating from the wall and we could hear everything in the next room. The windows were moldy and dirty, the heat only worked if you turned it up to 90 and then it just constantly ran all the time, very noisy and made it hard to sleep. We had to go ask for our own towels and coffee in the room as they did not replenish them. Over the course of 3 days we went to the front desk 4 times to ask for the lights to be fixed and to have more towels. No one ever came, even after being assured that they were sending someone right up. Even all this we would have ignored, but the worst was when we came back to our room after being out for the day only to find people coming out of our room as the hotel had rented our room to someone else, and that this had been the second room they had sent these people to only to find that both were rented. We are just thankful that these were honest people and they did not go through our belongings. Our room keys were deactivated so we had to keep the ones from the people they tried to rent our room to. The night before check out we went down one more time to express our concerns and we told them that we were checking out the next morning and that would give the hotel time to decide what sort of a discount they would provide us with. Upon check out (which was the same clerk from the night before who assured us she would do something) told us that she could not authorize any discount, that it would have to be her manager but she was not in until the next day. Being from another country we explained that we would not be around the next day. The clerk took our phone number and assured that the manager would call and rectify the situation. I will retract my bad review if and when the manager ever calls and applies a discount. The only good thing about the stay was the friendly bartender at the hotel bar.

Room Tip: Demand a renovated room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicole M
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel is filthy. The carpets are dirty. The beds are old and warped There is NO cleaning staff to be found ANYWHERE. Upon asking for extra towels, the gentleman working the front desk said, " The towels are all the way in the basement and I shouldn't even still be here, I'm supposed to be off already." Pardon, but that sounds like a personal problem. There is no professionalism at all. The thermostat does not work. There is NO ventelation through the room unless you open a window. The room key randomly stops working, making you run all the way back down to the front desk at all hours to get the key reset. The overall service and quality of this hotel is more than subpar. It is undoubtedly terrible. I will never stay here again. I came here for a wedding and besdides the "Ballroom" being decent for the reception. Everything else was awful. The laziness of the staff was unbelievable. Next time I come to Erie, I will make sure to stay a franchise hotel. This dump is not worth the money. The portrayal of The Avalon on the website is seriously false.

• Stayed November 2013
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. This hotel was filthy, several things were broken, and the front desk staff was rude. There were bags of garbage piled up and spilling out of the hallways. The ice machine was broken on my floor. The walls and the carpet throughout the hotel were dirty. The room was also dirty- hair in the tub, a layer of dust on the windowsill and hair/dirt balls were behind furniture. The dresser had something sticky spilled down the front of it that looked like soda pop . The carpet was not vacuumed. The curtain was duct taped to the rod. The bathroom was in worse shape. The shower curtain was mildewed. The tub drain was broken and so was the blow dryer. When I asked the staff at the front desk in the morning if I could get another blow dryer, she rudely relied that there was no one in housekeeping at the hotel so she could not help me. I had to crank the heater and stand on the bed to dry my hair with the air blowing out of the wall vent. I should also mention that the walls are paper thin... my young daughter and I could hear EVERYTHING that went on in the next room. Needless to say, I was not happy. I will never EVER stay at the Avalon or recommend the hotel to anyone

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE. There are much better hotels in the area for the price.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family