“Another pleasant stay”

Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Erie
New Jersey
“Another pleasant stay”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

It was a wonderful stay at Avalon for third year in a row. Our room was quite spacious with quality bad. It seemed that room has been renovated as furniture seemed new although TV was old. Bathroom needs some updates but it is completely functional. For the price it offer in downtown Erie, i am more than satisfied. I would also like to say special thanks John for special attention.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Bedford, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

The weekend started out bad when the hotel couldn't find my Priceline reservation. The woman at the front desk was unsympathetic about the problem and initially claimed that the hotel was completely booked and we would not be able to stay at all. Then when she realized I was not leaving, she finally checked and discovered there were openings. As priceline had forgotten to charge me despite giving me a booking number, this was an acceptable solution, however I did not appreciate having to argue with her for any solution at all.

When we got to the room, the heat had clearly not been on, and we had to fight with the heat all weekend and it was never comfortable. On top of that, the beds had no real blankets, just thin and scratchy bedspreads, making it very uncomfortable with the heat issue. The maids were also never in to clean, which was weird though not particularly a problem. If I return to Erie it will not be here, and I'd recommend to anyone to look for a hotel with better value/service instead.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ellen A

Travellers are raving about these Erie hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival the Parkin garage was terribly filthy and when we headed to the entrance group of people who had the whole bottom lobby filled with smoke. When we got to the desk, the desk clerk didn't even acknowledge us and was too busy talking on her cellphone. Had to wait 10 mins for her to finish her conversation and then she checked us in. The elevators felt unsafe and made a lot of noise. When we got to our room it looked decent enough (ancient tv, moldy window dirty window sill, musty smell). Wee quickly realized that was only the tip of the iceberg. When my wife went to shower the bathtub didn't drain. There was mold on the ceiling in the bathtub also. The sheets had hair and stains on them when we got ready for bed. So went downstairs to ask them to change the room, but was told I'd have to change the floors!!! I have been traveling all day and finally got unpacked and they wanted me to repack and change floors!!! The desk clerk didn't apologize at all and actually seemed annoyed at my complaints of the dirty bed and shower!! I've never seen such terrible and unprofessional behavior by HOTEL STAFF!! I then went to ask for a refund since I was going to have to repack anyways, and was told that I'd have to wait till Monday morning. WHAT??!! We left the hotel and stayed at the quality inn which was actually cheaper and 100x better!!!

Stayed April 2014
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 2 April 2014

thid is an older hotel whose glory days are behind her. Great location in downtown Erie, Rooms were quieter that I had anticipated, but the furniture and bed were a bit outdated.
staff was very good and helpful. The continental breakfast was not good at all. Still a good hotel that needs some TLC.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed at the Avalon a few years ago and I had returned to Erie and stayed again and was very happy with the stay. They have renovated the guest rooms, which are rather spacious, earth tones. I asked to have a refrigerator and was not even charged. Lobby is very spacious with several sofas. Free parking and wi-fi. Nice continental breakfast with a waffle station and fresh sliced fruit. I stayed for 3 nights and every morning while I was at breakfast a tall blonde lady greeted me and made me feel welcome. Very nice, little things go a long way

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Avalon Hotel and my stay was wonderful,i attended a Banquet that was great,the service was amazing and the staff were very helpful,the hostess,i believe her name was Salina,she was there the hole time making sure everything happen!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I haven't stayed here for many years and was extremely disappointed in the condition of hotel and untrained staff . Was there for an event in town with others (3 rooms total) and was surprised at how unprepared they were for us given the fact that this event was planned for several months! Hotel was not properly cleaned. Key cards would not work so we had to have them reprogrammed, as did several people. Wait staff did not follow proper cleanliness standards so we chose not to partake in the breakfast buffet! Hope to see changes or we will not stay again!

• Stayed March 2014