See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Stay away from this hotel.
The rooms have a funny smell. Tienes just be twenty years old, the link more like wash towels rather than full body towels. They feel like sand paper.

The TV is very old. You cannot read subtitles.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank markoandres
Reviewed 3 September 2017

You can not beat location and service this place provides. Was there for the roar on the shore, this place is sold out all the time due to location and flexibility, can not beat the price, very conviniebt in the heart of all the actions, arena, city festivals etc.

Room Tip: Call ahead to reserve room/rooms, being in the city there is no highway noise.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank SatRD
Reviewed 27 August 2017

I'm sure that, 30 years ago, The Avalon was a place, or the place, to stay in Erie if you wanted to be downtown. But in the 21st century the only reason anyone would stay here is because they want to be downtown and the other option is not viable (it has a worse rating and worse reviews online, hence why we stayed here). We wanted to be walking distance from the ballpark, and so we picked this hotel.
The price was more than I would have paid had there been basically any other options. It's worse because we're Canadian and our dollar means that what is maybe moderately price for an American becomes extravagant for us. I paid more for a night in this hotel than I have payed for nights in many way nicer places both in 2017 and in previous years. But, again, we wanted to be walking distance from the ballpark.
The builing is in a bad state of disrepair: the rooms and the elevators have physical damage on them, in addition to stains that make you think that they might not be clean (they appeared to be as clean as they could be for rooms with carpet that was decades old). Worse, there is a sign from Hilton in the lobby showing you what the hotel will look like in the future, as if to say you should come back when it's better. But they are charging prices they wish to charge for that refurbished hotel now.
Though security doesn't worry me, I understand the concerns others have posted here about the hotel: anyone can access the hotel through the parking garage.
Nothing worked: the parking gate didn't work, the safe in one of our rooms (not present in the other) didn't work, some of the channels available on the really old TV were barely visible because of static (is that even possible with digital television signals? what was that about?).
We had two rooms and one room had stuff the other didn't: one room had a (broken) safe but no fridge, the other had a fridge and microwave but no safe (broken or otherwise). The towels were few and small. There was no information about Erie in the rooms and we had to ask for any at the front desk.
The staff seemed to be resigned to the fact they worked in a dump: they checked us in to one of our two rooms and seemed very confused that we had booked a second. They were goofily apologetic about the mixup. I've had better experiences with staff who made mixups at just about everywhere else something like that has already happened. Then, when my father called about how to use the safe: basically they said "Yeah, they're broken." I understand it's frustrating to work at a place like this that is a long way from its former glory, but it doesn't make it any better for the rest of us.
I have stayed in worse hotels, for sure. But I have never paid this much money to stay in such a shoddy, ill-appointed place.
I don't know what to say to people who want to stay downtown, so there are so few options to stay in downtown Erie right now (to the best of my knowledge), but I would not recommend this place unless you can get some kind of massive discount.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

A friend and I spent 2 nights in this hotel. Good location in downtown Erie. Free parking was nice. Hotel was very outdated. Our room was clean. Friendly staff. Minimal breakfast options. One of the most budget friendly hotels we could find, but still didn't feel like we got very much bang for our buck.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katie D
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Just returned home from Roar at the Shore 2017. As always we stayed at the Avalon in down town Erie (we've been staying here every time we come for the past 7 years). Each year we see improvements made upon the hotel; this year was the most noticeable in renovations.
The A/C and elevators were the most noticeable difference, and were a much needed upgrade. They added a new restaurant which serves excellent Spanish food (highly recommend). I really enjoyed the courtyard for my morning coffee (and beer in the evening), it was such a relaxing atmosphere.
I can not say enough about the staff: they were friendly, helpful, courteous and seemed to really enjoy their job. The manager did an impressive job ensuring that all guests were accommodated and enjoying their weekend.
The cleanliness of the rooms really impressed me. We've always had a large and spacious room and this time did not disappoint. I will comment that a refrigerator would've been nice, but we made do without.

This is THE place to stay in the downtown Erie area. The long and short of it is that it's clean, well lit, and within walking distance of numerous great restaurants and bars. It's hands down the only place to stay for Roar at the Shore.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends