“Do NOT ever stay here! RUN AWAY!”

Downtown Erie Hotel
Ranked #38 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Are you a drug dealer that wants chlamydia? Well then this is the perfect place for you! This hotel has several unique amenities that are typically not found in hotels. One that is particularly charming is the "fitted" sheet that has no elastic, which makes for a great night of slipping all over your bed (it also feels like sandpaper!) These sheets are found on the square trampoline in the middle of the room. The hotel personnel refer to this object as a bed, but I think they're just being silly. It was so much fun to jump on, and so easy to get some decent height too! The springs are phenomenal. Every time my husband moved, I would fly up in the air. Super exciting at 3 am! Another cool feature in your room will be the private swimming pool. You might get fooled into thinking that this is a shower and tub combo, but there is no way it is because it doesn't drain! I do wish they had added some chlorine though, because I did not think pools (or bath tubs as they call them) are supposed to have a lining of greenish brown stuff. I'm sure it's not harmful though. I mean, the staff probably clean it. They didn't while we were there, even though I called the front desk and asked. But they were probably just busy watching the broken security cameras that they proudly display for some strange reason. Some other notable things: there is an AC unit, and they wanted to make sure that you know it works, so what they did was put a jet engine in it. It's kind of fun seeing how loud you have to yell to the person sitting next to you while it's on. I never knew how charming sleeping next to an airplane could be! When it does turn off though, you will get to listen to the sweet lullaby of car horns, drunken hotel guests, prostitutes having sex next door, police sirens, more drunken shenanigans, and super loud motorcycles. Don't worry, this music never gets quiet at night, so you will be able to stay up all night and listen to it! There is some romantic lighting in the hotel room. It's so dim you can barely see, but that's ok because the bathroom light you have to turn on at 4 am to go pee will shine with the light of a thousand suns. If you are looking for a retro feel during your trip to Erie this is perfect because they clearly have not changed the linens since 1981. They must have really purchased top of the line bath towels to have them hold up for 33 years!! Oh and don't even get me started on the interesting decor! There were two, yes I said two!, of the same exact picture on the wall in between these big yellow and brown spots all over the walls. Even the ceiling was cool - part of it was falling down, but just enough to make it look neat of course, and it was a tye dye of sorts, all colors being part of the poop colored brown family. The bed spread was super awesome too. More of those weird yellow spots! Oh and you can bring pets to this hotel, but there's no need because you will probably find a few in the room when you get there anyway. I thought about naming them, but I just didn't feel a strong enough bond. Too bad we only stayed two nights. Now one last thing, this is in the heart of downtown Erie. And I mean the heart of it. I bet people are literally stabbed in the heart right near this hotel. That's the kind of safety you will feel there. And with those broken security cameras, nothing can possibly go wrong anyways. Be aware, this hotel has not come to an age where small fridges, working plumbing, lysol, or door locks had yet been invented. Have a super time!

(Seriously do not stay here. We had reservations at the Avalon hotel and when we saw how gross that was we moved here to see if we would have better luck and it was cheaper. It was the only place in town we could find a room. I wish we had just gone home. Do not stay here.)

Room Tip: Every room is terrible!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Lisa S

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I opted to sleep in my car at Walmart parking lot over this dump! The fronts desk gentleman was nice, however the hotel is in shambles! OLD, dilapidated, dirty, in disrepair, and in a very unsafe part of town with drunk people all over the balcony. The sheets were stained, the bedding stained and not washed...your best bet is to sleep in your car over this place!!!! My room was paid for and I lost my money rather than sleeping here....

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank Luv2trvlall0vR
Reviewed 28 July 2014

By far the WORST place I have ever stayed. My review is much like the others with a few more issues. We arrived with two small children, and had no toilet paper or towels to shower with. There were a ton of spiders in the shower. When you turned the water on it looked like mud until it became clear. Tub was filthy. Coffee maker was filthy. The beds....OMG, a mess. I booked this trip with booking.com. I booked a king size bed with a pull out sofa bed. I called the hotel to confirm my reservation and she said they no longer have any pull out sofa's in their hotel. I said, ok, whatever...sure enough we DID have a pull out sofa, not that it mattered as there were blood stains on the sheets and the bed was broken. The hotel phone didn't work. I called the front desk the next morning and said we were not staying...they said they wouldn't refund my money that I needed to call booking.com. I called booking.com and they were so nice about the entire situation. I explained everything to them and just so happened when I was on the phone with them. "housekeeping" (I use that term lightly) knocked at the door. I asked them to come back and they told me no. There were too many rooms to be cleaned. Booking.com called the front desk and asked them to refund me and the man at the front desk told him no that I was lying about the condition. $120 per night for this mess. I had my children in the elevator and the doors were not completely closed as the elevator started moving. Finally the doors closed. The next morning the elevator was broken. If you are considering this hotel, your really better off to sleep in the street or in your car.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Jen J
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

There was barely any hot water. Things were broken or just didn't work. No wash clothes in the room when we arrived. Person at the front desk was sleeping when we walked in. The equipment in the weight room was broken. The rails were loose very dangerous.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Teyiona M
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This place is a dump! My husband and I had been on the road for 14 hours and just needed a place to sleep for a few hours. We stopped on the interstate and were told everything was full in the area. It was 2 am and we were exhausted. The clerk suggested the Downtowner. I asked if it was decent and he said "it"s clean". Oh my god!! It was filthy! We pulled the blanket and top sheet off and slept fully clothed on top. I could hear a couple fighting next door and there was cigarette smoke coming through the vent in the bathroom, I'm sure some of these rooms are peoples homes! If I thought they would refund my $95 I would rather have slept in the car. Please if you are thinking of staying there RECONSIDER! There is nothing good about this place

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie B
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I would not recommend this place to anyone!!
I am very disappointed with Downtown Erie Hotel. After check in when I went to the room, only to find the air conditioner was not working correctly and the room phone was not working either. Went to the front desk, explained the situation, he said the phones were down. The clients in the room next to us, their phone worked fine. An attendant did come to the room, turned the a/c on and off it worked for a few minutes. The phone, he said was working, was not. If there have been an emergency...no phone!! After being told there were no rooms left, the a/c and phone not working, went back down and ask for a refund. I wanted to leave. No room left, they were all taken. This room was horrible!!! Please see the pictures attached.. chest/pubic hair in the tub!!!
the sheets looked used
no safety lock on the door

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank sasafrass54
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Buyer beware!

When we arrived at the hotel, a group was arguing with the person at the reception desk. That should have been our cue to go find another place. The arguement was heated and there were cops on site as well.

We waited our turn and got the keys to the rooms (we had booked two rooms). The carpets and sheets were dirty. One of the rooms had absolutely no working lights. The toilet in the washroom attached to one of the rooms was leaking so much that there was pool of water on the floor. We asked for either things to be rectified or that we be given a new room. But that did not happen. Because of their poor service and poor quality of rooms, we asked that they refund the money back. We were not going to stay the night in those rooms. They "refunded" the full amount. Or so we thought. But they withheld half the amount! Now it is a battle to get the rest of the money back.

If you are thinking of staying here, think twice and read all the reviews!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family