“A new era at an established Inn”

Golden Pheasant Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Golden Pheasant Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Erwinna
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Groups, View, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dark Hollow Road
Georgia
“A new era at an established Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

After this Inn had been closed for quite some time for extensive renovations,
we revisited this place with old friends last July to compare the experience between the "then" and "now".

We tried the place twice - once for drinks outside along the canal and another time for dinner.

The post-renovation era offers a beautiful ambiance inside, good food and pleasant service.
The outdoor seating area was beautifully-appointed and the location along the Delaware River is picturesque.

BUT the noise from passing motorcycles was a very unpleasant nuisance.

Given the noise from passing traffic,
the dining experience was, by far, more enjoyable inside.

2 Thank F-J-1414

New Jersey
“Enjoyed So Much I Returned!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I went in November 2013 for a special occasion and returned this month for another special occasion. At each visit, the service as well as the décor as well as the food was fabulous. Easy to reach. Located on River Road. Go. Enjoy.

• Visited March 2014
Malvern, Pa
“Cozy and delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

A group of us dined here Saturday evening February, 22nd. The group ordered the Pheasant, The lamb and the Mako. A few gentlemen thoroughly enjoyed the Lamb cooked perfectly and the portion size. The Pheasant was also tasty and delicious. The ladies ordered the Mako. The Mako was cooked to perfection and delightfully seasoned. We were all in agreement that this was a wonderful dining experience and would return. Since our meals were fabulous, we could not leave without dessert. The desserts were just as scrumptious as we had hoped. We highly recommend the Golden Pheasant Inn and will return when we are in the area.

• Visited February 2014
Milford, New Jersey
“Truly Unfortunate - Could have been wonderful...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

This was our first visit, Valentine's night and it started off great. There was valet parking and two young boys at the door who greeted us and took our coats...such a nice touch. The restaurant was warm and inviting with rose petals on the table and the fireplaces were lit. We were set for a wonderful evening and a romantic dinner until our server arrived. She wasn't welcoming, friendly, accommodating and attentive. There was no reason for this whatsoever as we ate early and the restaurant was neither full nor was it busy. This changed the mood entirely and we left very disappointed. As for the food, it was okay, not great but enjoyable. Also, we had asked for some special dietary requests in which our waitress told us they could not accommodate us and we could only choose from what was on their menu. I've never heard of this or experience this from a high end restaurant or any restaurant for that matter. Now, we’re not sure if this was the waitress’s decision or managements but nonetheless it was very disappointing. Our dinning experience was truly unfortunate as we believe this could have been and should have been the romantic evening my wife and I were hoping for.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Frederick S
Pennsylvania
“Great atmosphere- Really Disappointing Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I had been anxious to try out the Golden Pheasant after the renovations and having the children take over the business.

First the atmosphere. The place looks great. Clean, crisp, well thought out decor. With fires going in fireplaces in two rooms, a cozy new bar area and a completely renovated dining area area with lots of windows, we thought the food would be up to par with the decor. We were seated at a table with lovely linens. We were told that the Golden Pheasant was a "farm to table" restaurant using local sources for the food. The menu looked good and gave the local sources for ingredients for almost every dish.

Sadly, the food was lacking in many respects.
We started off ordering salad and an appetizer of octopus. The salad had greens, blue cheese, dried fruit and candied nuts. The greens looked very fresh and it was a generous size. However, there was not enough dressing or other ingredients to make the salad taste as good as it sounded on the menu. Having had similar versions of this salad at many restaurants, this salad could have been delicious if there were more generously garnished. I enjoy grilled octopus and I have cooked and grilled it as well so I was excited to see it on the menu. The presentation was nice- a good chunk of octopus accompanied by a nice cherry tomato salad. The flavor of the octopus and marinade complemented each other but the octopus was extremely chewy - one would expect a bit of chewiness but it was more than I would have expected. In addition, the thicker part was raw in the middle.

Next came our entrees of duck breast and pheasant. The duck was tender and cooked to perfection but the sauce was so sour and overpowering that I still tasted the sauce an hour after the meal. The duck came served on a bed of wild rice. Sadly the sauce destroyed the flavor of the rice and the wild rice was a bit undercooked or dried out- it should have had a little softer but firm texture. It also came with 2 pieces of Brie rolled in phyllo pastry- they tasted like they had been stored in a freezer or refrigerator a bit too long although they looked perfectly browned. But it was far better than my husband's pheasant. I'm not an expert at cooking pheasant but I assume it was undercooked. It was so tough that my husband could not even cut it off the bone with a steak knife. Again the sauce was overpowering and sour and peppery. The kale was tasty though. When the waiter came and checked on us, we told him that the pheasant was tough. We seldom say anything even if we feel the food is not up to our standards but we felt compelled to tell the waiter about the pheasant. He pleasantly stated that pheasant was a tougher bird but agreed to tell the chef and offered my husband a free dessert. Although I think that he should not have charged us for the entree we went along with his proposal. For dessert, I ordered the Apple Betty cake and my husband ordered the pumpkin cheesecake. We chose those two desserts because they were made by the restaurant- we find that so many desserts that are not made on premises are sub-par so we tend to order desserts that are made in-house. The pumpkin cheesecake was flavorful and had a nice texture. The Brown Betty cake had nicely cooked apples in it but the "gingerbread" crust tasted flavorless and a little like lard instead of a buttery gingery crust. Sadly, we will not be returning - usually we give a restaurant a second try but there were so many things wrong with the meal, we won't be returning

• Visited January 2014