“Restaurant overcharges - BEWARE”

Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Philadelphia
“Restaurant overcharges - BEWARE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

The bedskirt had stains, there were hairs all over the bathroom floor. I stayed here because of the winter storm in Philly that stranded not only travelers but also employees at the airport and surrounding area.

I tried to check in early as I had to work that day and wanted to ensure a room would be available. The staff were not very friendly nor would accommodate my request.

Ate dinner and breakfast at the "restaurant." This room is a converted ballroom or event room with a bar in the center where there is a curtain drawn to take away half the room. Odd looking, but acceptable. The waitstaff were very very nice...and probably the only plus in the experience. I paid my bill using my debit card BUT I tipped in cash. I gave the bartender a $10 tip for my dinner meal (for a $26 bill), and breakfast gave a $5 cash tip. This is where my experience gets really bad. I'm checking my banking statement two days later and there is a charge for the meals but with a 20% added expense to the bill. I immediately call the hotel and after being told that the restaurant manager wasn't there and transferred over and over I finally reach the hotel manager voicemail - Chris Bryant. He returns my call and advises that the restaurant is sub-contracted out and not Wyndham but that he would get an answer.... later that day he calls back and leaves a voicemail for me..."Ma'am...the restaurant manager advised that your bank adds a 20% tip just in case and when we accept charges we only accept what was actually charged. I am only relaying to you what she has said. Please check with your bank." I immediately called TD Bank and you could hear the disbelief in his voice. I knew this wasn't the case, but had to call TD just to get verification. I called Mr. Bryant back and left a voicemail expressing how upset I was. What if, I told him, she was doing this to ALL of those business travelers and not getting caught. I wanted more than just an apology for this "theft". Two days later the bill in its entirety was removed from my banking statement with no return call. My presumption was that Mr. Bryant had the manager remove the charges entirely but that turned out to not be the case... One month later, I see the original food charges, without the 20% tip added in. I called Mr. Chris Bryant - Hotel Manager - as I was very upset with this back and forth billing without any calls back from him.... I still have gotten no response.
TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
nepa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We used the hotel for ParkSleepFly. The room was very nice for the 1 night. The shuttles to the airport the next morning were frequent. The problem occurred when we returned. I called the hotel for a shuttle and the person that answered the phone said to wait at location #4. So we waited. 30 minutes later I had to call again. She said they were busy and the shuttle will be coming. I asked her how many shuttles were on duty that day, SHE SAID 1. I saw that the shuttle was driving towards us and had to wave him down. He said he was never told he had a p/u there. He was actually picking others up at the international area. It took a good 45 minutes for the shuttle to come. The hotel is only 2 miles drive from the airport. He also said there were 2 shuttles running. Therefore the person at the hotel lied to me. The shuttle driver also mentioned the floor in the hotel collapsed the night before and everyone had to be evacuated. It was also filled with Jamaicans because of an event in Philly and they were returning to the airport the day we were coming back. But that shouldn't hinder their service to us and their other customers. My advise, if you're going to stay here and need a shuttle from the airport bu prepare to WAIT!!! I called the manager to explain what problems I had and left a VM. I haven't heard back from Janice (I believe was her name on the VM)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
chris b, Manager at Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Each day is a challenge to be perfect and give every guest the best service we can provide. We want to hear from our guests allowing us to improve our service and our physical facility. There was a sprinkler head that was activated by an occupied room causing damage to rooms below. This has been address and until these rooms are out of service until they are completely renovated. We run two vans for most of the day and night and always have back up if the demand is needed. The ten person vans do fill up quickly during high demand times, I am sorry it took longer to pick you up.
Auburn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

When we checked in the reservation had no record we reserved stay & park, plus she had me as an employee of Costco, which I'm not. She then commented that the reservations are often messed up. Once I gave her a copy of our printed reservation, it all worked out, but I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have a copy.

Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

For a huge industry convention at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, I booked a room and sent over three packages with our company products ahead of the time to get ready for the event. When I got to the hotel to check in and pick up the packages, I was told I could only get one package because the other two could not be located. We tracked with the shipping company, all three packages were delivered and signed by a Front Desk staff. With the packages being lost, I could hardly do anything at the convention. The three day event which I've been attending every year for the past thirteen years became a disaster. After more than two weeks' talk with the hotel, they forwarded the case to their insurance company. Then they will settle it for a total of $20, which is $10 per package. Mistreatment, loss or possible stealing of the packages is a physical violation of customers' right already, and such outrageous resolution and irresponsible behavior is a mental violation on top of that. This kind of business operation and management should be announced and denounced to protect the reputation and goodwill of the entire hospitality industry.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank travelaroundtheglobe
chris b, Manager at Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Travelaroundtheworld,
The hotel staff did our best looking for your boxes and there were attempts to handle this in house. This kind of situation has never happened before however we have tightened up our receiving procedures because of this to ensure this type of situation will not occur again.
Norwood, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Wyndham for one night during a college visit in Phlly. In the early morning, the fire alarm went off. First of all, we weren't even sure it was the fire alarm - thought it was just a strange noise. We eventually left the room with most of our stuff. There was NO announcements or leadership at all. The front desk simply told people there was a malfunction with the sprinkler system. After waiting about a half hour, I went back up to get the rest of my stuff. No seemed to care. The wing I was in was horribly damaged by water. My basic complaint is that there was no leadership telling us what was going on.

Other things - no food/restaurant. The printer in the business office was not working.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Robert,
I can appreciate your view on Sunday morning, it was confusing however all of the safety systems in the hotel worked exactly as they should. An occupied room had a sprinkler head activated flooding the fifth floor north wing and several rooms below. As soon as the sprinkler head was activated the fire alarm system went off. I was on property that morning and dealt with the fire department and evacuating those in the immediate affected area. Being that it was Sunday morning it took more time to get our sprinkler contractor out to repair the head and recharge the system. By 9am we had a restoration crew on site working on the cleanup. By 10:30 am we had all the fire detection and sprinkler systems back to normal operation. The safety and security of our hotel guests is always a priority and we test these systems utilizing professional companies. Evacuation of a hotel is a general manager’s nightmare and I certainly understand the inconvenience it causes all of our guests, for this I do apologize.
Leechburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I had to visit the area for work. My reservations were made on my behalf, and not at the usual hotels we stay at when in the area. Several of the better hotels were booked, so the pickings were slim; hence I ended up here. The hotel did not look very inviting upon arrival. The back of the building had opened curtains that looked like a storage area inside for all the old equipment. The restaurant advertised served very little on the menu. After a long day of travel, to have the ability to go relax and enjoy a nice dinner without having to leave again, would have been great. The interior of the hotel is not much to be desired. It is in need of updates, and could look a bit cleaner. Upon arrival to my room, the room looked overall clean, however the bathroom was not clean. Sink, toliet and shower looked to be untouched. I also used the iron that evening to prepare for my meeting the next day, something disgusting came out of the iron. Thank goodness my slacks were black! Had I not had a long day of travel, and only staying for one night, I would have called my travel agent and insisted for different accommodations. I will not be back.

Essington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Hotel was good. Restaurant was under renovation. Internet was horrible. Could barely connect and speed was slow.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

chris b, Manager at Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us, we do appreciate your business and feedback. We are in the process of renovating the restaurant area with new tables and chair , lighting and a softer atmosphere. Unfortunately these projects take longer than expected, but we expect to have this done in the next few months.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Hampton Inn Philadelphia-International Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport
aloft Philadelphia Airport
aloft Philadelphia Airport
#56 of 85 in Philadelphia

Been to Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!