“clean and reasonable”

Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Essington

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was a pleasant surprise. I was able to check in early by a very pleasant young lady. My room key did not work but maintenance came up very quickly & replaced the battery in the door plate. The room was nice, clean, and they had a cuisinart coffee maker, that is so easy to use that as a visually impaired individual, I was able to enjoy coffee in my room... Yeah no Keurig !!! The pool & gym make it a good choice for a weekend getaway, even if you have kids. Nice upgrade and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
chris b, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for your nice comments regarding your recent stay here at the Wyndham Garden Hotel. It is having the opportunity to provide superior guest services to our wonderful Wyndham Family members, such as yourself, that makes what our staff members do each day so very rewarding. It is our goal to provide each of our guests with Wyndham WOW service each and every time you stay with us. In today's competitive hotel market, it is important to us that each of our guests feel our great level of guest appreciation and our thanks for choosing Wyndham Garden Hotel as your destination hotel.
Thank you again, and we look forward to being able to welcome you back to your home away from home very soon.
Mike Riccio
Front Office Manager
Irwin
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Forced to stay here for a hockey tourney and walking in--had a sense on not being good. Area is dirty, room is dirty, took the staff one hour to bring replacement sheets for the bed that was never changed! Had hair and pubs all thru it. To boot the guy just handed em to me---"here ya go"! Crazy! It my kids weren't exhausted and it wasn't midnight--we would have been out. There's enough decent places to stay that are far more sanitary!!!

• Stayed June 2014
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The room was adequate, although the beds were small for modern, middle tier hotel. (Didn't know hotels still used double beds?) The mattresses were firm, but not horrible. The common areas really feel worn out and the hallways (at least on the third floor) had a vomit/chemical odor which was pretty uninviting. Although this is a pretty typical airport hotel, which I know is pretty much built for one night stays when people are waiting to fly out/get stranded, I still feel that it is nowhere near the standard of most Wyndham branded hotels. I know the sign says in the lobby it is a franchised location, but I would think Wyndham would have minimum standards.

Overall it's fine for a night or two, which is what it is built for...but don't expect much.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Cheap hotel. As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for."

My friend and I arrived in Philadelphia a bit early so we called ahead to find out if we could check in early. First phone call, we were hung up on. Second, was answered by someone not at the front desk so after being on hold for a while we were told to call back later. Third call, we were informed that there wouldn't be any rooms available early. When we arrived, we quickly found out that was a lie. The hotel was definitely not at full capacity.

We arrived at 4pm, which is the new check-in time and found house keeping was still working on our floor (4th floor) and the cart was blocking our door. Upon entering our room, I felt as if I was stepping into an old smoking lounge with an open pickle jar festering on the bar. Needless to say, not pleasant. We debated asking for a new room, but recalling our previous experience with the front desk, we opted to stay in our room since we were exhausted after our 12+ hour trip. So, we showered and crawled into bed.

The following morning we discovered just how unclean our room was. Every surface was dusty. There were greasy handprints on one of the headboards, long dark hair stuck to a couple pillows (I'm a blonde and my friend has short hair), a yellowed toilet bowl, crumbs on the floor, no tissues and a very loud rattling A/C unit.

Additionally, I found 14 spider bites all over my body. Unfortunately, I am very familiar with spider bites as years ago I had a spider problem in my apartment building and had been bit many times until multiple extermination visits. Immediately, my friend went to the front desk to inform them of this fact and asked for a new room. No apology was given. Initially she was informed that there haven't been any other complaints about spiders or bugs and finally a new room was issued with a short, "sorry about that." Nothing further was provided or offered.

The new room was two floors up and was clean, thankfully.

This location claims it was recently renovated, but I find that hard to believe. There are some new furnishings (cheap and modern) but everything else looks very used. I also find it odd that there weren't any hooks or towel bars to hang damp towels in either room.

Upon check out, we were treated with the same sub-par customer service and/or lack there of. I would never stay in this location again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2014

In no particular order, the bad:
1) The room was dusty- mirrors, tables, chair, etc.
2) Under the trays, the tables weren't washed. The toilet bowl was yellow. The coffee maker wasn't clean.
3) No blankets, no tissues.
4) Loud air conditioner unit- the rattling would come and go.
5) Greasy hand prints on one of the bed's headboards, white crusty spot on the floor...
6) The room was smoky. Not like "this one must have once been a smoking room, still smells like stale smoke". It smelled like the guest(s) before us smoked and they didn't clean out the room.

The AWFUL:
1) My friend woke up with 14 spider bites. One of my friends had a brown recluse problem at her old apartment, so I know exactly what the bites look like. These had to be from at least one brown recluse. They like disused places because they won't be disturbed, like old sleeping bags, vents, stacks of cardboard boxes, etc. Since the room smelled so strongly of smoke, I'd be surprised if it didn't recently have guests. But since the room was so dirty, dusty and missing items, it also seemed like no one had been in there in a while.

When I asked for a new room, the apology was not quickly forthcoming- it came at the end: "Sorry about that". At first they just kept saying no one else has complained about spider or bug problems. That makes no difference to me, and especially not my friend with the 14 hard white and oozing bites.

The new room was two floors up (they said they'd close off the other floor) and was fresh-smelling, looked clean, and had all the typical items one expects in a mid-range priced hotel. Even though they gave us a new room for the rest of the day and second night, I wouldn't stay there again. It's not really owned by Wyndham, but ran under a license from Wyndham by some company called Majestic Somthing Or Other (based on a plaque in the reception area). I'd try another Wyndham hotel, possibly, but would caution people not to use this one if they are visiting Philadelphia.

The hotel and rooms do not look "recently updated". It looks like maybe they bought some cheap lamps and tables from IKEA to spruce the place up a bit, but over all, it's not that they look outdated, everything just looks used and a bit shabby.

Room Tip: Specifically ask for a non-smoking room (if that's your thing) and try to stay away from rooms f...