“Mixed bag”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Mixed bag”
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived at midnight so booked a night at this airport hotel. The advantage is that there's a 24 hour shuttle and staff is very friendly. The downside, however, is that the hotel is pretty run down & there are funny smells throughout. Although I requested a non-smoking room, you could smell stale tobacco in bathroom. The price is significantly cheaper than surrounding airport & phila hotels. For 1 night, not a bad place to rest!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Hamilton
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband and i where in town to area family reunion, we received an offer from Harrahs Casino promoting your hotel, when we arrived and inquired about the offer code which we used to book the reservations, the front desk person gave us 5 different reasons why we would not receive the offer! I went to Harrahs Casino and talk to a supervisor, who stated that was un-true and that they promote customers to your hotel with those offers. Not only that but we did not have a comfortable room the bed was sinking in the middle, it had a large dip in the center of the bed, not what I expected for he Wyndham.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Jerry L, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Sharlene J,
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. Our goal is to deliver the best guest experience possible. Whenever we receive a review that indicates an opportunity to improve, we love to know more about what happened, in order to better meet your needs in the future. We definitely appreciated the candid feedback about our product and overall service. We hope that you will stay with us again in the near future. Jerry Lord
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The staff is probably the best part about this place - everyone for the most part was extremely helpful and friendly. I needed to switch hotels two days into a 14 day trip, and the staff I talked to (Mike, Carol, and Kelly) were all very accommodating and attentive. They worked to find me the lowest rate available (which was still a bit overpriced, but it was last minute), they let me check-in early since I had to check out of the first place I stayed by 11am, and they even gave me breakfast vouchers for their restaurant for every morning of my stay (for the cheapest breakfast which wasn't that great, but considering they don't usually include a continental breakfast, it was a very nice gesture). Also, while my tub and sink were clogged when I checked in, they sent someone immediately to fix them.

In terms of cleanliness, it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't spotless either. The linens and towels were clean for the most part and I felt okay walking around barefoot in the room and bathroom, which I usually try to avoid. The only complaints were there was lipstick on a decorative pillow and a stray hair here and there (which I understand people shed and it's really very hard to catch all of them), and the window sill was dusty. I'm sure, had I been bothered enough to complain about any of these things, the staff would have attended to them. I will note that even though I only had them tidy the room every other day, when they didn't come in they still left a bag of clean towels hanging outside the door.

The biggest downside was the location and the smell in the elevator. It's convenient to the airport, but not much else (i.e.: restaurants, entertainment, etc). However, they have an airport shuttle which I took every morning to catch the train from the airport to the city; a little time consuming, but it worked out fine. There's a bus stop literally right out front, but it's only convenient going one direction; coming from the other way, the stop is across a large busy street without a convenient crosswalk. The neighborhood is OKAY during the day, but as a 30 year old female traveling alone, I would not want to walk around in the evening.

I didn't use the pool or the gym, so I can't really comment on them. All in all, it was okay, but they probably wouldn't be my first choice in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Amelia S
Montreal
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Not as represented on website, it's more rundown that the pictures you see online. Although I was very satisfied with the price I found with www.booking.com (under 100$US/night) I was not aware that they're was extra fees for parking when ParkSleepFly states that parking is complimentary. So, finally ended up paying 50$US for a "parking package".

Cons:
- Room was missing microwave; kinda necessary when travelling with children;
- business centre printer was out of service;
- tomato sauce splatter in the furniture;
- alarm-clock not functional;
- lack of channels on TV;
- sticky gunk on toilet bowl seat;
- counter space limited in bathroom.

Pros:
- bed and pillows very comfy;
- plenty of parking;
- airport shuttle on time and very courteous;
- proximity to the airport.

Overall, it was "ok" but had I known about the extra fees for parking, I would've maybe considered another hotel.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Sojonevjosh
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The hotel is nicely located near the airport, which is great for an early morning flight. Check-in was extremely slow and even though there was a long line of people waiting, only one person at the desk was doing check-in (there were 3 people working the desk). The room was just ok. We found a pillow case laying on the floor behind the chair. Bedding appeared clean. There was only one facecloth provided and there are no towel racks in the bathroom to hang the wet towels on.

The hotel was ok for one night and the price was the best of the airport hotels that I checked.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DJCat1
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel the night before we flew out for our vacation. We were able to park our car there for $42 for 7 nights. Transportation to and from the airport was quick and easy when arriving and departing. It was clean and accommodating for a one night stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jennyc91
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Hampton Inn Philadelphia-International Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport
aloft Philadelphia Airport
aloft Philadelphia Airport
#56 of 85 in Philadelphia

Been to Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!