“Not what I was looking for”

Airport Waterfront Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Essington
South Wales, New York
“Not what I was looking for”
Reviewed 18 November 2012

In planning my trip to Philadelphia to attend a conference, I wanted a place that would give me access to downtown as well as the airport. Apparently, this is not such an easy thing to do in Philadelphia. For the first part of my conference, I stayed at a hostel downtown, but they were booked for the remaining days that I was staying there, so I booked two nights in this property. The location is not ideal. From downtown, I had to take a $7 commuter train to the airport and then get picked up at one of the terminals. And apparently, the commuter train does not run 24 hours a day. Once at the property, I immediately noticed that the hotel was directly connected to a somewhat popular and very loud bar / nightclub. Being Saturday night compounded things, because they had extended hours. In addition, the so called "continental breakfast" was disappointing. It consisted of coffee, a Nutri-Grain bar, an apple and a bottle of water. It was enough to sustain me, but I have been spoiled by other properties. In other words, don't expect waffles or doughnuts.

Therefore, this was not the ideal property for me. However, if you are looking for a property close to the airport, and you are into the bar / nightclub scene, and you would rather sleep in than eat any type of free breakfast, then this property might be a good fit for you. The room was relatively clean and spacious. There were no signs of it being poorly maintained. In other words, there were no holes on the wall or torn carpet, or anything like that.

I would be remiss if I did not add that the property is truly on the water. I have an awesome view of the Delaware River from my window. The name of the property is extremely fitting.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank William S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We were very pleased with our stay. The staff was very friendly and we had absolutely no issues. The room was clean but dated but is an incredible value for the price. A shuttle ran to/from the airport every 30 minutes and they even ran us to Harrahs one night so we gamble a bit - no charge. The hotel is located in a quiet community that has a small grocery store and several good places to eat within walking distance. I recommend McGillicuddys for drinks and a quick dinner or lunch. Never got to try Romano's :( everyone ranted about it.

This is not the Four Seasons by any means but it is everything we wanted and we plan on staying here in the future. There is a small park next to the hotel, makes for nice walk or a perfect place to plane spot. It is near the airport but the noise is minimal. If you are sensitive to noise when sleeping I'd recommend a pair of ear plugs but air traffic really slows after 10 pm - really a non issue unless you are uber sensitive.

I gave 5 stars because its exactly what we expected and even more if you account for how nice everyone associated with the hotel was. I'll say it again - great value for the money and we do plan on returning here when we visit Philly again.

Special props to the day time weekday front office lady and staff - your kind hearted. Thanks for doing what you doing !

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Motorcat117
Coaldale, Colorado
Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

Run-down, marginally clean, no services, orphaned stepchild of the HIE virtually attached to it. And only $5 less than the quite nice HIE. I code poorly. Restaurant in other part of building has great seafood; but the weirdest look and feel I've ever experienced.

• Stayed October 2012
Lady Lake, Florida
Reviewed 12 October 2012

For 59.00 this place was perfect for us. Free wi-fi, a cozy and very clean room, and a beautiful spot on the water. Yes, being near the landing strip for the Phili airport, the planes flew over all evening, but stopped at bedtime. We photographed them coming in at sunset with their lights on. It was just beautiful out there. We were very happy and will surely stay there again if needed. Also, it only took us about 30 mins to find our way to downtown Phili - having never been there before.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2012

For $89, you can park your car for the entire time you are away. The rooms are clean... sure, they are small and don't have all the bells and whistles- but if you are looking for a clean place to lay your head and take a shower before you head out for a morning flight, you can't go wrong. It costs me more to park at the Philadelphia Airport for a week than it does to stay at this hotel. They offer a complimentary airport shuttle with a friendly and prompt driver. The hotel isn't a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, but it also doesn't claim to be. You get what you pay for, and in this case, you get more than you pay for. I've spent more money at other hotels and been in worse situations than this. :)

Room Tip: there are no elevators, but i like being on the second floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Kemblesville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I recently shared a room here with my sister. We were part of a group of ladies from her church attending the Women of Faith Conference in Philadelphia. It's about 20 minutes from the Wells Fargo center on the waterfront in a less than scenic part of the riverfront. When I first arrived I founf the exterior a bit dubious. It had the look and feel of a "by the hour" hotel on the outside. Right next store was a Holiday Inn Express and I was wondering why the group didn't book that. (I guess price and having 2 queen size beds in a room was their priority as they wanted to get 4 ladies in a room) . Well, all I can say is you get what you pay for. The room actually turned out to be much nicer and cleaner than I expected. The bed was comfortabel but our room faced the outdoor deck night club next door. The music was not just LOUD it was heart thumping and chest pounding laying in my bed against the opposite wall from the door. If you want a vibrating bed, you don't even need a quarter for these! Continental breakfast is a bottle of water,an apple and a cereal bar in a brown paper bag.

Room Tip: Maybe it wouldn't be as bad during the winter months when the outdoor deck bar is closed.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank artsygirl
Garforth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed over one night, room was exactly as advertised, very clean, good decor and very comfy bed , we had brilliant views across the river. The restaurant next door was the icing on the cake, serving really good food and plenty of it for a really good price. we were reluctant to move on to New York! If you want a really reasonably priced hotel to stay on a stop over we would recommend this hotel, but just remember they don't provide breakfast but do give you a snack bag to leave with.

• Stayed September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel

Been to Airport Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!