“Spartan Facilities”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Southport, North Carolina
“Spartan Facilities”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I gave this hotel a very good rating because I felt that I got what I paid for. If you only need a place to sleep for a night or two, as I did, and you don't want to spend a lot of money then the Waterfront Inn meets your needs. Okay, so I had to walk next door to the Holiday Inn for ice, and I did not have a fridge, there is no paper or pen in the room and there was only one chair in my room,but the price was right, the room was clean and I only spent a couple of non-sleeping hours in the room. The hotel is on the water and has a great view. If you enjoy watching planes taking off you can watch from the back of the hotel. I will attach a few photos taken from just outside my room. My first night here was a Thursday and the next door Club that several reviewers mentioned closed at 9:00. Friday night was a different story. The music started early and is played outside within 20 or 30 yards of the hotel. I was on the opposite side of the hotel and still easily heard the music in my room. If you are a light sleeper you might want to avoid this place on a weekend. Also, as others have mentioned, there is no elevator so stay away if stairs are a problem. Overall I enjoyed my stay and saved a bunch of money over the other hotels near the airport.

Room Tip: Recommend rooms on the 1st floor and on the Holiday Inn Express side.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Ward416
W B, General Manager at Airport Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
As a well traveled individual I want to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I feel your input will be very valuable to future guests needing accomodations in our area. If in the area in the future stop by and say hello.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Albany, New York
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Hi Traveler,
I stayed at this hotel overnight for an interview with USAirways.....got the job and LOVED the hotel. They are within minutes from the airport and provide excellent service. Thank you Dave for the shuttle ride, sorry I missed you at the Deck. One of the coolest things about the place is the restaurant/bar attached. The food is fab, and the bartender is a doll. Just a quick shout out to Bea at the front desk, luv you and thanks again for the room with the view (Room #257 was breathtaking)
I booked this room via Orbitz, paid $60.00 and could not have been happier......kudos Waterfront Inn

Room Tip: Ask for room #257 the view is fabulous
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
W B, General Manager at Airport Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. I posted your comments thru out the hotel so all the employee's could read what a wonderful time. If in the area again hopefully we can be your home away from home.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2013

It may not be the easiest hotel to find and not the fanciest, but the Airport Waterfront Inn is a clean hotel that doesn't clean out your wallet like many of the other PHL Airport hotels in the area. This is an older hotel that has been renovated to be up to speed with its sister hotel- the Holiday Inn Express which is next door. Situated along the Delaware River and only a few minutes from the airport, the hotel is in a very nice area of Essington. There is a lovely park next to the hotel and you can walk to the back of the hotel to the river area and sit and relax... watch planes land, boats go by, or see the wildlife along the river.
The outside of the hotel with its black wrought iron railings reminds one of a hotel from New Orleans. The hotel rooms, smaller than most today and next door at the Holiday Inn Express, are updated and very modern. Is it super fancy inside? No. Is it clean? Yes
The hotel is great for a place to stay if your plane is cancelled or if you want to spend the night before a super early morning flight out of PHL.
Breakfast is offered at the Holiday Inn Express next door with their breakfast bar, or the hotel offers a small to go bag... nothing fancy.
The staff is down to earth and very friendly. A shuttle van to the airport is shared between the hotel and the Holiday Inn Express which makes everything convenient. Nearby in Essington as far as eating establishments - Denny's, Mc Donald's, and a 24 hour Wawa convenience store that makes made to order food.

Room Tip: Ask for a 1st floor room since there are no elevators.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank No1HotelAdvisor
W B, General Manager at Airport Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
On behalf of the entire staff here at the Waterfront Inn I want to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor and your kind compliments. I have posted & communicated your review to all the staff and they are very grateful that you had a good time. I see where you are an experienced traveler and for your kind compliments we are most grateful. Hopefully if you are in the area again we can be your home away from home.
Bloomington
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Overall, we were pleased with our stay here. The shuttle service was exceptional. They were very flexible, picking us up at a hotel near the airport after dinner one night. We could have breakfast at the nearby Holiday Inn Express at no charge, and the people were very friendly. The room had very comfortable beds and plenty of room to do floor exercises. The bathroom was small with no counter space and nowhere in tub area to put soap, etc., but the water was always hot and plentiful. We did have a third floor room, and with no elevator, had to carry the luggage up. The view was great. Our Saturday night stay was noisy from the band playing at the bar downstairs, but that was the only night that happened.

Room Tip: The Deck Restaurant had very good food for dinner. One of us had crab cakes that were delicious and...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
W B, General Manager at Airport Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you for your valued comments in regard to your recent stay at our hotel, they are greatly appreciated. On behalf of the staff we hope we will be able to accommodate you in the future.
Hulls Cove, Maine
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Okay so it's not really by the airport, it is on the waterfront, but the one thing they don't tell you is you're right next to a "night club". We chose this Inn because they allow pets, but otherwise, if you have to stay in this marina district, I would just stay at the Holiday Inn Express that is, like, 3 feet away.This is a budget place, and as others have mentioned, you get what you pay for, but I guess I didn't really consider the loaded bonus of bass vibrations in the room. Yes it was a Saturday night, but it was March - not really the height of tourist season. Regardless, we needed to hit the road at 7am the next day, so when I was shaken away by B. Spears at midnight, I went to ask the office when the empty restaurant next door would stop pounding jams. Without interrupting his private phone call, he reminded me that "hon, not our night club" and that this would go on until 2am. I also want to mention our room basically overlooked the deck of the night club where, like, 7 people were enjoying the ambiance. Also, Airport Waterfont Inn certainly had vacancies on the other side of the motel that they never offered. Unless you're into unpopular nightclubs and want to meet 5 middle aged strangers on the smoke deck whilst techno sets the mood, I wouldn't recommend this place to stay at while you're visiting the city of brotherly love.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank underthelemontree
W B, General Manager at Airport Waterfront Inn, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We take comments such as yours very seriously and your comments were addressed in a staff meeting just yesterday. As a hotel team we are preparing action steps to implement to see what we can do to avoid the situations you encountered.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel, although it's in a good location and clean, is a bit of a disappointment. Although the advert was for breakfast, there was nothing. A coffee pot and a bag of crackers. Not fit for human consumption and not as advertised. There are other very nice hotels in the area, so I would suggest you take advantage of them and not stay here.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike F
Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor. Naturally the entire staff was disappointed that we did not come close to providing the accommodations you are accustomed too. We are taking your comments and will be implementing action steps to correct the areas needed.
Québec
Reviewed 27 March 2013

OK place to stay. "Motel"-type rooms. My room was clean and had a fridge. Comfortable mattress. No view in front of the hotel (a Holiday Inn has been erected in front of the hotel), but a nice limited view of the pier in front. Practical shuttle to/from the airport. Service is OK. My room was $65/night. And I got what I paid for.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a fridge.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor. We take everyone’s post very seriously and are always attempting to make things better for our guests and comments such as yours assist us greatly in doing so.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Airport - Tinicum Blvd.
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel

Been to Airport Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!