“Not up to usual Holiday Inn Express standards”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My elderly father and I stayed here during a trip to Philadelphia over the Labor Day holiday and the following week in 2013. Except for Aisha, who was TERRIFIC, the front desk staff all seemed to have "attitudes". Except for the blonde housekeeper on the 4th floor, who did a WONDERFUL job cleaning our room, the other housekeepers who cleaned our room seemed to omit at least one item every time they cleaned our room, be it toiletries or linens or emptying all of the wastebaskets. The young man whose name (I think) is Jeff (or is it Scott?), blondish hair/moustache, and who was one of the hotel managers (going by the information posted on the hotel walls by the front desk) was very nice and helpful to me and my elderly father, who uses a wheelchair, whenever he saw us entering or leaving the elevator. The woman who runs the breakfast room does a wonderful job and is very nice, as was the man who ran the breakfast room one day when she was not there. The free breakfast was very good. I did not realize the airport noise was so bad. None of the hotel reviews I read mentioned the noise to be a problem. Had I known, I probably would've chosen a different hotel closer to Philly and further from the airport. But, to be fair, the location of this hotel is very convenient to I-95 and the attractions in Philly itself. The wifi did not always work as well as one might hope, either!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear irishslider,

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to read your kind words regarding some of our staff. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry your stay was negatively affected by the noise level from the airport and the poor internet service during your stay. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our product and service continually.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Connie D

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel was okay. Nothing really to write home about. I am usually not one to complain, but this time, I feel compelled to do so. Having stayed at another Holiday Inn the night before, this one pales in comparison. When we arrived, the front desk clerk was not mean or anything, but she was not welcoming at all. I kind of felt that we were imposing on her time. Nice way to start this leg of our trip.

The room was average. It could have been cleaner, but it was not so bad that we couldn't stay in it.

The next morning, my husband and I went out for a couple of hours and when we returned, our keys did not work!. We were scheduled to be there for 3 days (in fact we pre-paid the entire stay). A different front-desk clerk (much friendlier than the lady the night before) tried to re-activate our key, but couldn't. I believe she may have been new, so I don't hold that against her. The manager advised her on what to do, but she missed a couple of steps, so she (the mgr) got impatient and very short with her. Judging from her actions, it made the young lady nervous, and made my husband and me uncomfortable. I thought it was a little unprofessional. In any event, they finally got our keys working.

We noticed that we didn't have a "Do Not Disturb" tag in the room. We asked that same desk clerk for one and she unknowingly gave us a "Room Closed for Maintenance" tag instead. I took the tag back to her and pointed out that it was the wrong thing. She nervously searched for several minutes the right one, without success. As I was standing at the desk, a housekeeping staff member walked nearby. I asked him for the tag and he got one in no time flat. While I understand that she may have been new, it just made logical sense for her to call housekeeping if she couldn't find one. Had the man not walked by, I might still be waiting. Lol.

The complimentary breakfast was good. The person tending to dining area was friendly and helpful.

I must also say that our room was much cleaner during the rest of our stay, and the housekeeping staff was great.

The location of the hotel was good for places we needed to get to. However, if you want to be near shopping, restaurants, visitor attractions, you have to drive a ways to get to those things.

Whenever we travel to Philly again, it is unlikely that we will stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear MArrington,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is wonderful to know you appreciate the the breakfast. We are sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations with the service you received and your room accommodations. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We spent a night in this hotel due to a layover. The hotel has a good location, the shuttle service to the airport is really good, some of the employees give good service, however, the room cleaning and halls cleaning is awful, all the carpets were stained and worn, we found hair in our sheets and bathroom. Cleaning is very important for me, that's why I only rate it with 3

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NuriaTW
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear NuriaTW,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am happy to know that our location worked best for your needs. However, I am sorry for any inconvenience the housekeeping services may have caused you. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve our service.

Again, thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I came to Philly on a Startup of Eddystone rail terminal we stay at the hotel for one month and it's probably the best customer service I've ever had I used to work at the Embassy and this Hotels customer service far exceeds anything that I've ever seen the owner had a great attitude as well as a front desk agents the shuttle to the airport was very helpful along with random trips to small restaurants. Housekeeping was even able to wash and fold my clothes so I can make my flight in time. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. And its minutes away from the city and the airport.

CK

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Had to catch a flight today and Ken one of their shuttle drivers came through! Great personality and very informative about the airline I was taking. Thank you Ken for a safe and comfortable shuttle ride to the Airport!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The staff is wonderful and helpful. The housekeepers do a great job at keeping the aging furniture and carpeting clean. It is next to the Park where you can sit by the river.
It's a bit more expensive than it used to be but I guess the word is out that it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We recently stayed at the HIE Philadelphia Airport. The location was great and so convenient to the highway and would also be great if you’re flying in/out of the area. The hotel sits on the Delaware River, with beautiful views of the river out the back of the hotel. The hotel seems recently remodeled, as everything seemed new and clean. Check-in was a breeze. However, the desk clerk did not seem to go out of her way to greet me or to acknowledge that I was an IHG Rewards Club member. Although she was pleasant, it seemed like she was preoccupied getting other rooms ready and such. Also, I did not receive a goodie bag upon check-in like I did when I stayed at a HIE in Hollywood, CA. **In that Hollywood HIE, I was given a VIP bag and actually treated as such!** But this front desk had warm chocolate chip cookies, which were a nice treat after a terrible drive in torrential downpour conditions.

Anyways, our room was on the 2nd floor and it was easy enough to get to via stairs or elevators. The room was big enough for our family and had nice comfy cozy beds and nice pillows. The A/C unit did a good job of cooling the room. The flat screen TV had a nice picture. Although there were AC power outlets at the desk, it was tough to find something near the bed itself (to plug your phone in right next to you). Those should be added. The bathroom was a decent size with good hot water flow and curved shower rod. We used the fitness center which had good equipment. There were a few cardio machines and a multi-use stacked weight machine. There is no fan in this room, but there was an A/C unit on the wall by the window. There is a flat screen TV to help you through the workout, as well as a water cooler.

The included hot breakfast buffet provided an excellent value for the stay as we had young kids with us. They could press the button on the pancake maker and a pancake would drop out of the other end – they loved that machine! There was also: hard boiled eggs, egg/cheese omelet, bacon, oatmeal cups with various toppings, cereal, grits, juices, coffee, and various breads for toasting, with jam/jelly spreads. The breakfast staff was very helpful, constantly refilling the food items and checking on the guests. The breakfast area was neat and clean with newer furniture.

I would stay here again if I needed to come back to the Philly area. The price was excellent, as was the location and amenities of the hotel. When we went, there was no charge for overnight parking (one night stay). I’m sure there are park/fly packages available.

Room Tip: Can't really hear the planes taking off from the airport. However, when you go outside, you have...