“Excellent!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Everett B&B and Inns
Granville, Ohio
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We found them via Groupon and their proximity to areas we would be seeing prompted us to give it a try. The hotel is beautifully restored, very tasteful and cozy. The staff was friendly and obliging, even tho we arrived late and were one person more than we had booked...they gave us a roll-out bed and saved us some trouble. The restaurant was closed but the tavern downstairs & kitchen were still open and they served us a great meal. The room was tasteful and flawless...loved the hardwood floors and marble. There is not much to speak of in Everett, but the hotel was a pleasant surprise and a wonderful place to spend the evening. If I have one small gripe, the cable-package on the TV was very paltry, only the most basic channels...local and some oddball stuff. I like to relax to a program, and there was nothing much on but that's really minor. Overall we loved it and will recommend to friends and stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Craig G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary/birthday. We reserved online and gave credit card but it would be best if you just call the Union Hotel directly and request a room that way. We reserved on line in the early afternoon and they had not gotten the information when we arrived at 5. They were very nice about it. They had a King room available which is what we wanted, so no worries. If they were already booked though, that would have been disappointing as the hotel is very nice with marble and hardwoods everywhere. We were hesitant to eat in the restaurant downstairs on the first floor because we had read some bad reviews but as better options were 9 miles away, we decided to give it a try. We were very pleased with our food. The deep fried dill pickles with ranch dressing were hot, crispy and superb. We both decided on burgers and fries. The fries are fresh cut and excellent. I had malted vinegar with mine. The rolls were exceptional and the burgers were done exactly how we had asked. A very good meal. Our waitress was friendly and very good at explaining our options. The dining room and our room were decorated tastefully. No complaints here!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Walking_owl
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I were traveling eastward from Ohio and needed a place to stay near Bedford, PA. We found this hotel on the internet and decided to give it a try. We arrived mid-evening, tired and hungry. We were impressed on the quality of the food at the Italian restaurant downstairs, and appreciated the attentiveness of the waitstaff even though we were rather late customers. Our room was nicely appointed and the bathroom was great. When we first got into bed the springs were very creaky--maybe a brand new bed?? I thought it was going to be a problem as we tossed and turned throughout the night, but either we were really tired or the bed settled down once we got into it. :) Regardless, we had a good night's sleep and enjoyed a nice shower in the morning. The room included a full breakfast of scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon and french toast with orange juice and coffee. I am sure this renovation cost them a lot of money so I hope they make a go of it. The hotel is a piece of Civil War history and was a great starting off point before our visit to Antietam later in the morning.

1 Thank Jill V
Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My family enjoyed an excellent dinner over Memorial Day weekend. Each of us had a pasta entree that began with a salad served family style. The blue cheese dressing was made from scratch and had lots of blue cheese crumbs -- excellent. Fresh garlic bread was served. We each had a different pasta -- baked ziti was the best but the six cheese ravioli and the fettuccine with meet sauce were very good as well. All were perfectly presented and portions were generous. We shared a very moist and smooth carrot cake with fine coffee. The waitress was attentive and pleasant. The hotel is great to explore. There is an upscale tap room in the basement. On the first floor there is an outside dining area as well as a formal dining room for special occasions. After dinner we walked a couple blocks through the quaint and manicured small town of Everett. Very interesting architecture from mid 1800's. Overall a very pleasant experience. We plan to return soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John M
Seven Valleys, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The exact same issue that happened to a prior traveler occurred again. I purchased a Groupon deal for the hotel for Memorial Weekend. When I called to confirm they had no record of my reservation and they had no rooms available. Thank God I had contacted them to confirm, which I did because I was made aware of the previous issue on tripadvisor. I would have driven 3 hours on a holiday weekend only to be disappointed and no where to stay. The hotel stated that they had tried to contact Groupon because they had overbooked for the weekend.

Be wary be very wary of this "special" on Groupon. I honestly believe it is a scam because I contacted Groupon within minutes to notify them of the issue. Why couldn't they?? This is a clear credibility issue. No wonder the property keeps failing....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Claudette875
Campbelltown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This Hotel/B&B was an unexpected surprise. Food was excellent, atmosphere was pleasant and staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The decore was exceptionally done hard wood floors, and marble everywhere. Pictures were used to depict the hotel and surrounding area through the years. Each morning we received breakfast, which was included in the cost of the room. The first morning we received scrambled eggs, bacon, home fries, and pancakes, along with juice and coffee. From what I was told the breakfast is different each morning and is up to the discretion of the manager who cooks the meal. Sunday mornings the hotel offers an all you can eat breakfast buffet that is open to the public from 9 am-11 am. This meal had some issues, first off wasn't ready till almost 9:30 and some of the food was lukewarm. It consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, home fries,sausage gravy,biscuits, and fruit salad along with coffee and juice. All in all the stay was quite enjoyable and I would have no problems staying there again. The only suggestions I would make to the hotel is to educate their staff on the history of the hotel so when there are questions they don't have to run and ask the manager, and secondly, perhaps put a refrigerator or even microwave in the rooms for guests who may have left overs from the meal they had in the restaurant. Also, for travelers who like to relax in their room in the evening, put together a helpful channel guide or block out all the channels that the tv cannot receive. It was very deceiving thinking you had a channel to watch and did not.

2 Thank PeckMS
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We were so excited to get a Groupon deal on a King Suite at the Union Hotel. I called the hotel the next day to make a dinner reservation the night of our arrival. The front desk answered the call and I told them we had a B&B reservation and would like to make dinner reservations. The lady said she did not have her book with her (it was upstairs) and she said the room I reserved through Groupon was not available. Honestly, I don't remember even if I said which room we booked, but she said she would go upstairs and call me in 5 minutes. While she was going to check, I rechecked the Groupon site and the room and dates were still available. I also check the Union Hotel site (their OWN site) and it said the room and dates were still available - so I thought for sure she would call back and let me know it was OK. 30 minutes later she called and said they only have 2 king suites and they were booked. She said the Groupon was at fault. I told her I was looking at the hotel's site and it was showing availability for the suite and date. She insisted that their own site was wrong and Groupon was wrong. She then offered me a lesser room. We wanted and paid for the Suite and I declined her offer. I felt like it was a "bait and switch" scam. I cancelled the Groupon certificate and then called Groupon to let them know what transpired. Groupon checked again and said it was available and asked me if I wanted the suite. I said that the lady at the hotel said it was not available and thanked them for trying. I NEVER thought I would write this type of review - but people should know what happened to us.

8 Thank Judy J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Everett
Fairfield Inn & Suites Bedford
Quality Inn Bedford
Quality Inn Bedford
#2 of 10 in Bedford
Holiday Inn Express Breezewood

Been to The Union Hotel? Share your experiences!