“Great hotel and staff. Petfriendly and a little gift for the puppy.”

Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Exton
Herndon
“Great hotel and staff. Petfriendly and a little gift for the puppy.”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The hotel is located right next to the UNO restaurant. It also shares the same parking lot, which means, if the restaurant ever gets busy, parking might be an issue. While I was there, there was plenty of parking. I liked that UNO is convenient located right next to the hotel. They will deliver, and a great place to hang out with friends if you are not traveling alone. UNO has a few takes outside that you can dine outside if you like.

The hotel is located next to a Hampton Inn and across the N. Pottstown Pike from a Fairview Inn. The only complain I have is that if you are going W/NW on N. Pottstown Pike where the hotel is located on your left, there is no left turn into the hotel.
- I had to drive to the next light, make a right turn, then a U-turn, and a left turn to get back onto N. Pottsville Pike heading S/SE in order to make a right turn into the hotel property.
- Or you can go further down to Pennsylvania Turnpike exit and make a U-Turn at the light on N. Pottstown Pike.
This is very inconvenient. After the 2nd day, I started taking the back roads: W Uwchlan Ave, to Dowlin Forge Road, and take the first right onto a little road to go around the back of the hotel, or take Eagleview Blvd. I recommend studying the map to find the best way to get onto the hotel property if you are not heading S/SE on N. Pottstown Pike.

Upon my arrival, I noticed that the hotel door is not automatic. This is very inconvenient if you have a lot of luggage where you don't have a free hand or trying to push the luggage cart through the door while trying to keep the door open. Oh, and there are 2 sets of doors that you need to go through before reaching the lobby. The night I arrived, there was only 1 person (the receptionist) working, and I coordinated with him that when I get to the door, he will come out and open the door for me. Most of the Residence Inn I stayed at, have someone who can assist me with my luggage. Since I traveled alone with a small dog and lots of luggage, it would have been nice if there was a Bellboy to help me with my luggage.

The check-in process was smooth, and the receptionist was nice. He gave my dog a little gift box filled with dog biscuits and a paw wipe. A very nice touch for people traveling with their pets. This is the first time I got a welcome gift like this for my dog, and I have stayed at many Residence Inn with my dog.

The only thing that I thought it was weird is that the refrigerator door opens toward the front door, away from the kitchen. I will have to stepped out of the kitchen to get to the fridge interior. Same goes to the Microwave door. Just a little odd. The hotel room has a small closet by the front door, not all Residence Inn has this. The room also wasn't a studio, it has a door to the bedroom. Love the Paul Mitchell bath products. For those who use the hairdryer, this one is a tiny one that hangs on the wall, not a full size hair dryer, but it works pretty well.

I don't have any issues during my stay. My room was located in the back of the hotel, where I have the view of the business buildings in the back. It was the 4th of July weekend, and the business area was deserted. There is a historical house located right behind the hotel, literally, like it is on the hotel property. Pretty neat.

If you are traveling with a pet, this hotel is petfriendly, and like all Residence Inn, there is a pet fee. I believe it is $100 per stay. The hotel does have some grassy area for the pets to go to the bathroom. Because of its location, right on N. Pottstown Pike, I took my dog for a walk on the back side of the hotel, around the business buildings.

There are shops including a Target and restaurants along Eagleview Blvd about 1/2 mile from the hotel. It is walking distance, and it's a nice little walk. If you go to the back of the hotel, take Ruark Road, and if you make a right onto Eagleview Blvd, there is a little restaurant on your left with an ice-cream shop, dry cleaner, a grocery store, etc..., and if you make a left onto Eagleview Blvd, there is a larger shopping center on your right with a bank, Target, restaurants. At the end of Ruark Road (at Eagleview Blvd), there are restaurants on your left.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back of the hotel. It will probably be more quiet since the front of the hotel kin...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ri_phlrx_gm, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Marinda0, Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We appreciate you mentioning the convenience to local shops, restaurants as well as alternate street directions for our readers. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and love that your dog enjoyed the special treat. We hope to see you the next time you travel to Exton.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Newport, NC 28570 USA
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed in a two room suite and were very comfortable. Wish we could get a reduced rate (AAA, Government, etc) to offset the cost of the two room suite. We have stayed there before and enjoyed the amenities. We will return again maybe next year.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ri_phlrx_gm, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear DavidFS, Thank you for your review and your loyalty to our hotel. We look forward to seeing you next year!
Budd Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I checked in during the early evening and after going out to dinner returned to the hotel for the night. The room was perfectly clean and orderly, in fact the only thing I can complain about is that the water pipes in the shower make some odd noises but not enough to bother me. I had an issue where I'd forgotten my toiletries and the overnight front desk clerk (Daniel I think?) was absolutely excellent in helping me out. He was the most polite and friendly customer service person I have encountered in years. That little bit of extra effort really made my stay five stars instead of four. All in all it was a very comfortable room, maybe a little bit out of date compared to some of the recently renovated hotels but still in excellent working order and well maintained. I will stay here every time I am in the area.

Room Tip: Go with the studio over the one bedroom. It's the same size and the same price, but much more op...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

2 Thank KaralynCresena
Dear KaralynCresena, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to help you with your forgotten items. We look forward to seeing you the next time you travel to Exton!
Peabody, MA
Reviewed 12 August 2013

When visiting some friends in West Chester, we decided to stay at the Exton Residence Inn. All the staff we encountered were very accommodating and friendly people. When we arrived, we had a room at the front of the hotel. I realized I could hear traffic from the room and assumed it may be less hectic during the night, but first thing in the morning I would hear this. (I am a very light sleeper) When I inquired at the front desk, we were quickly moved to a room in the back. Everything was perfect! The breakfast was very filling and I was very pleased that it was included in our stay. I thought the hotel was very clean and it had everything we needed and more! I would definitely recommend a stay here!

Room Tip: Ask to stay at the back of the hotel if you don't want to hear the traffic.

1 Thank linhebe
Dear Linhebe, Thank you for staying at the Residence Inn Exton. We are excited to hear that you enjoyed your visit and well look forward to having you as our guest the next time you travel to West Chester!
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I highly recommend the Residence Inn brand for families on vacation and the business travel. This location was one of the better that I have visited. The staff was very helpful, rooms comfortable and a decent breakfast. It was located conveniently between Philadelphia and Lancaster county.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
ri_phlrx_gm, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear John L, We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us and thank you for your kind words and taking the time to write a review. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Exton!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Overall the Residence Inn in Exton was a pretty nice hotel but there were some issues I noticed while staying there.

First, the room had a musty smell to it when we first entered. The shower curtain could probably been replaced because there was mold growing on the bottom of it. It hung too low so it would puddle in the bathtub, collecting all the water and soap scum and germs. In the kitchen I wish there was a cookie sheet though. Overall though, the placed seemed pretty clean with no major issues.

We stayed in the two bedroom suite and while the living room was spacious, the bedrooms were tiny and really only had enough space for the bed (both queens) and a little area to walk around it. Loved having two bathrooms though. The two bedroom suites at Homewood Suites are usually much larger and have more floor space and two queens, a king, and a pull-out couch vs only two queens and the pull-out at the Marriotts.

Overall the hotel, while pretty clean, looked a little dated and definitely not up the current Residence Inn look. The carpet looked pretty worn, the living room furniture has seen better days, and the appliances aren't stainless like at other Residence Inns. The little details were overlooked: sloppy paint jobs, crooked pictures on the wall, room numbers just paper taped to the wall, etc. The beds were comfy though.

The breakfast was really disappointing in my opinion. The eggs tasted like plastic and the potatoes were not real potatoes. The baked goods were stale and the bagels were frozen and cold. They really need to have an additional two or three waffle makers because there was only one when we were there and it was stuck in the corner and there is always a long line to use it. We were upset to find out that the hot tub was closed.

The two bedrooms suites here are cheaper than getting two standard rooms but unless you really need two bathrooms and the full kitchen, there is a nice Comfort Suites across the street that has the same amount of beds, looks brand new and modern, and is half the price. Overall a good property but next time would probably look for a Homewood Suites or an updated Residence Inn.

1 Thank Vacationer9943
ri_phlrx_gm, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Vacationer9943,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate your feedback and we are currently working to improve the items you mentioned.
We are very happy that you found the Hotel to be clean and comfortable. We hope that you will see us the next time you travel to Exton.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We recently stayed at the Residence Inn in Exton as part of a visit to Collegeville, PA. It is not really near Collegeville, but we love Residence Inns so much that we are willing to drive a little way out of the way to stay at one. This one was quite clean and comfortable. Our front desk clerk was funny and accommodating. The room was spacious and clean. My only suggestion would be that the hotel provide a few more electrical outlets near the bed. There are plenty of outlets but your phones, etc. may have to be plugged in the kitchen area or living room area. This hotel just is fantastic in terms of price with the space--a living room, bedroom, and kitchen all for the same or similar prices for just a room? Highly recommend, especially if you like space as we dw when we travel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank krimar
ri_phlrx_gm, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Krimar,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are glad you enjoyed our hotel. Thank you for the suggestion regarding the number of outlets near the bed, we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We hope that you stay with us again when visiting Collegeville!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exton
Hampton Inn Exton
Hampton Inn Exton
#2 of 8 in Exton
Fairfield Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton
Comfort Suites West Chester Exton
Hilton Garden Inn Exton / West Chester
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center at Exton
Home2 Suites by Hilton Downingtown Route 30

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton? Share your experiences!