“Weekend stay for a Memorial Day soccer tournament”

Holiday Inn Express Exton - Lionville
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Exton
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Rooms were adequate for my purposes - a stay for two nights with my son for a weekend soccer tournament. Need to supply more toiletries. Staff was relatively helpful; however, due to procedural matters, we had to check out and check back in after our second night (only needed room 2nd night depending upon team performance 2nd day). And the 2nd check-in process was a nightmare. We had called earlier to confirm rooms were available, and reserved a block for our team, but it took almost 2 hours to get our room! Sat in the hotel lobby after spending all day outdoors...

Breakfasts included every morning and it included an assortment of pastries, fruit, yogurt, juices, eggs and pancakes. There was something for everyone. Hotel centrally located to shopping and many restaurants.

Pool is NOT heated!! Would have been nice for kids to be able to hang out in pool after games, but it was ice cold and they couldn't last more than a few seconds.

Fitness center is tiny - only 3 pieces of aerobic equipment and no weights. Barely enough room to do floor-type exercises.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 2000cl

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This was my best stay on Holliday Inn ever. Great service on front desk, very nice rooms and breakfast.
Location is another great advantage, easy access to all places in Exton, in front of Exton square mall and great places to eat nearby.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I very seldom give a poor rating. I do so for this property because in a one night stay, there were problems and not once did anyone apologize for my inconvenience. Further, I wasn't welcomed or thanked for my busy. I get that they were busy, however, for the price, I expect better service.

- Check-in was quick and I was able to check-in before 1:00 pm, which was great. The front desk person gave me great recommendations on places to get a quick bite.
- There was a used bar of soap on my counter. I didn't say anything. What was the point?
- I took a shower and realized that the towels were damp. And no they weren't damp from the shower. I call guest services twice and never got an answer. However, when I leave the hotel, there are two people standing at the front desk. One person said, "I just got here". The other person said, "I must have stepped away." Neither said, "We're sorry, how can we help."
- I asked for a sewing kit. The front desk person looked everywhere and couldn't find one. She finally asked someone from housekeeping and the person said -- in front of the guest -- "I didn't know ya'll didn't have any." Ten minutes after my request, I received a sewing kit.
- The microwave was dirty. I had to clean it before I used it.
- There were a lot of kids in the hotel for soccer matches. I believe the hotel was sold out. I know they knew the kids were coming. When I arrived at 7:15 am for breakfast, there were no spoons, no coffee lids, no bacon, no eggs, cereal on the floor. It was a total mess.

Needless to say, I do not recommend this hotel and I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Charlene E
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exton - Lionville, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear CharleneEsawTravels,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review of our property. I am glad to know that your check in experience worked for you.

We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the difficulties you had experienced with the hotel staff. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back to Lionville.

Best Regards,

John O

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I must admit I expected a little more than the tripadvisor rating suggested. This was my first time staying in a HIE and I was not "wow'd" by any means.

o Front Desk- The front desk staff was helpful. I only dealt with the night shift as I checked in at 1am Monday morning and checked out at 4am Friday. They were friendly and no complaints whatsoever.

o Housekeeping - when I travel I prefer NOT to have any housekeeping in my room. I left the do-not-disturb sign on the door all 5 nights, so I cannot comment on their services. But I will mention that the white envelope on the dresser with my housekeeper's name on it (suggesting I leave a tip) was a bit tacky.

o Room - I was given a handicap accessible room in between two conference rooms on the first floor, just past the elevators. When I was informed of this checking in I thought it wouldn't be a problem as I've had great experiences in them before. Looking back, I should have requested something else as the elevator attracted a lot of noise and the conference rooms were ok until the last night when they were busy well past 11pm.
The room was very dated and didn't feel warm or inviting. It was dimly lit and signs of age were everwhere - the leather desk chair had torn arms and seat back - the ceiling had cracks in the plaster - the bed was not as comfortable as mine is at home (this is usually the opposite case!) - I found a small amount of garbage between the bed and night stand - a lot of hallway noise.

o Breakfast - This was a great continental breakfast. Some of the better eggs i have had in a hotel. The hot items (sausage, bacon, biscuts/gravy) were indeed hot and tasty. This was a welcome part of each morning eating breakfast in the bright and inviting lobby / breakfast area.

o Location - Excellent location. Plenty of nearby restaurants and stores. I recommend PJs Pour House right next door as it's brand new and has good food and great beer selections. Quick access to the highway west to Coatesville where I was working. There is a brand new hotel in town there but has no restaurants around it. The best thing this HIE has going for it is location. If I return to the area that's the only thing that would convince me to return.

Also, one last small complaint. I was told when booking over the phone I would receive reward points for my stay but it appears that is not the case after checking my account online. Some hotels do not award points for CLC use, so that is why I specifically ask beforehand as I may not have stayed here if they said No in the first place.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators, especially if on the first floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exton - Lionville, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear NodRoj87,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. We are glad to hear you liked our location and enjoyed the breakfast. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We don't want any guest inconvenienced and rest assured that your comments will be used for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Connie D

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Excellent location and friendly and helpful staff are representative of this Holiday Inn Express. My party spent two nights there as we had business in the area. The hotel is located within a few miles of many restaurants, shopping etc. everything you need is nearby. The complimentary breakfast is a good start for your day and coffee is available all day. The rooms are comfortable but the bathrooms are in need of an update.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exton - Lionville, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear ColonelBangkok,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our great location. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned.

I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our daughters soccer tournament through THS. It was nice and very clean. The older gentleman that cleans and helps guests was soooooo nice! Loved him, he even recommend a great Italian place next door and showed us the way! Breakfast at hotel was ok. Rooms were tiny and when we asked if had suites or larger rooms they said all rooms same size..huh!? Oh well we managed. Overall it was nice just too small for us. We would stay again if had less people with us.

Stayed: March 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exton - Lionville, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Kim N,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I was also recently on the same business trip as the last review. The hotel is in a nice hotspot so for whatever reason your there, there is always something to do. I want to thanks Elaine, Victoria, and the rest of the staff for giving us the best accommodations especially during the snow storm. Can't wait to go back and see you guys again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exton
Hampton Inn Exton
Hampton Inn Exton
#2 of 9 in Exton
Comfort Suites West Chester Exton
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center at Exton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Chester
Hilton Garden Inn Exton / West Chester
Fairfield Inn by Marriott Philadelphia West Chester/exton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Exton - Lionville? Share your experiences!