“Doesn't live up to the hype”

Glasbern Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Glasbern Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Fogelsville
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Doesn't live up to the hype”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

While a very nice botique hotel with on-premise farm and locally sourced dining options, food portions are small and not as flavorful as much easier to find and more affordable options. I would much faster recommend Grille 3501 for an esteemed restaurant in the West Allentown general vicinity.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Byron_from_Philly

West Palm Beach, Florida
“Disappointing for Birthday Celebration”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Wanted a romantic atmosphere to celebrate my wife's birthday. There is absolutely no joie de vivre at Glasbern. It is cold and unwelcoming. Most of the staff have little training or experience. When there is a problem, it's not handled well....if at all. And, you pay an extraordinarily high price for very ordinary food. We will never return. Our latest issue was with my filet mignon that was served with my wife's entree about 45 minutes after our salad plates had been cleared. Maybe they forgot that I ordered it medium. It came out rare. So, my waitperson debated whether it was rare or medium rare. At any rate, I insisted it was rare and that it be cooked further to medium as I ordered. When she returned 15 minutes later, the filet had been butterflied and was now medium well....and cold. I told her I didn't order the filet to be butterflied and had never seen a filet served in this manner. (I doubt if she's ever seen a filet before yet alone eaten one.) She told me the chef butterflied the filet so he could show me how it was done. What chutzpah! In any event, the meat was overcooked, tough, and unattractive. I refused it. I wound up sending a letter to the owner. This is the best part. When he responded by letter, I expected a gift certificate might be included. It was better. It was a full refund. That was great because we wouldn't have gone back ever again. This place is overrated. Some people are intoxicated by paying a lot for "fine dining." Expense is relative only when the ambiance, service, and food are aligned.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank TastyBake
new jersey
“Sample Size Meals”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We live in New Jersey and saw the Glasbern Inn website. It looked so lovely that we thought we might want to spend a weekend there in the summer especially since it has a pool, looked quiet and relaxing and the suites and rooms looked lovely. Since the Pub and Dining Room are open to the public, we thought we would take a ride 1 1/2 hours away and view the property and have dinner. We made a reservation for the Pub as we thought we would save dinner in the dining room should we go there to spend an overnight or weekend.

It is off the beaten path, but very easy to get to. Lovely grounds, very nice pool and nice views. When we arrived, we were not greeted with a hello, but do you have a reservation. I mentioned that we arrived early as we wanted to view the grounds, but that we had a 5:30 p.m. reservation in the Pub. I asked the girl at the desk if there were accommodations in the main building and she replied, I don't know as I just started here 5 days ago, and she did not even volunteer to get someone to answer my questions. When we arrived, there was no one in the dining room. We went into the Pub around 5:15 p.m. and there again, no greeting, just "do you have a reservation". When we replied, she told us that the one table that was set was our table. I mentioned that since we were early, we would like to sit at the bar and have a cocktail before dinner. The waitress didn't look too pleased that we didn't want to sit at the table right away, but we wanted to just sit at the bar and have a before dinner drink, and we wanted to walk out and look at the view off the patio. The Martini I order was good. My mate ordered a draft beer which he did not like, so he ordered a different one. Here again, I asked the waitress/barmaid a couple of questions, and she replied that she was only there a few days and didn't know anything about the Inn. Now I would think that new employees would have some training on greeting visitors, that they should be shown the accommodations and have some answers, should know what is on the grounds and what is in the surrounding area? Perhaps they should have the new employees view their website so they know where they are? Of course, I did not expect them to know rates, but could have at least offered a brochure. Evidently, these people come in off the road, are hired and put to work and don't have the first idea on how to handle customers and/or potential customers. Very poorly managed and made us think twice about spending overnight time there. The room rates are quite high, and so far the staff offered nothing that would warrant the room rates.

When we sat down at our table in the Pub, we were given the Pub Menu, but the waitress told us that we could also look at the Dinner Menu too, which we did since the selections are very limited. We both ordered the Baby Beet Salad (from the dinner menu) which was a decent size with 3 small infant, not baby beets on it---it was good-cost $11.00). We then both ordered the Meat Loaf dinner. It was delicious, but it looked like a sample or appetizer dish when it finally came out. There was one small spoonful of mashed potatoes, a sprinkle of a green vegetable on the top of the mashed potatoes and 2 extremely small pieces of meat loaf. (They show this on their menu as a Large Plate). The meat loaf pieces were the size of two oval eggs and slightly higher than an egg. It could be classified as a small plate appetizer, definitely not a meal. It was delicious, only if you were not hungry and were going out to dinner in an hour. I am a small person, but my husband is a large person and eats normal portions, but this was no where near what you would call a normal portion---cost $19.00. Upon completing, can't say meal, we were both hungry, so we decided to order desserts---another mistake. I ordered the creme brulee and my mate ordered the Ricotta Cheesecake. The creme brulee was very cold and the 3 berries were not too appetizing looking. The Cheesecake was a scope of Ricotta on a plate with a few berries - pathetically, these desserts were $8.00 each as were all the desserts. This was a meal where you were taken without them wearing a "mask". We must said that the food was good, what little there was of it. It was really a tasting at dinner prices. You don't have to be concerned about being full when you leave this restaurant you just have to decide where you are going next to have your dinner.

We talked with the couple who was sitting to our left in the Pub and they had the same opinions of the Glasbern Inn as we did. His wife ordered the PBLT Sandwich, which was at least adequate for $12.00, but the husband ordered the Steak Frites (Large Plate) which had 4 morsels of meat and the same amount of vegetables we had for $19.00. She ordered the Creme Brulee and had the same comments as I did, and he said that he smartly didn't waste time on ordering dessert as he wanted to stop and get something to eat once he left the Pub. We were all laughing at how we were taken. The only people that looked like they got something for their money was the single lady who ordered a sandwich which was a decent size and the table to our right, they ordered the Chicken which was 6 times the size of the meat loaf. The only reason we didn't consider the Chicken is because we do not like Dark Meat Chicken.

After this experience, we are now extremely reluctant to book the Glasbern Inn for a weekend visit, and we would definitely not go there to dine again unless it makes some very needed and drastic improvements. The food quality and preparation is there, but there is no food???? As I said, we are not big eaters, but 2 oval egg pieces of meatloaf my 5 year old Grandson could eat and still be hungry. It was insulting that they would with an Historic Inn of America rating to serve such a meal or have such a staff. We have visited many of the Historic Inns around the United States as we take a trip every 6 weeks, but none were ever as deceiving as this one.

I might recommend the accommodations if the website is not deceiving, but go somewhere else off the premises for dinner. We are two very disappointed people.

If you want to really visit a totally outstanding Historic Inn, try the Otessaga Resort in Cooperstown, New York - 5 plus stars in every category.

• Visited July 2013
7 Thank janie51
Morrisville
“exquisite food”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Food was fresh, vegetarian options, organic tea, organic farm to table, if you eat meat they have grass fed cattle which you can watch graze in pasture.

Visited June 2013
Pennsylvania
“Rude staff”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My husband and I stopped by the Inn to check out the menu and see for ourselves what all the raving reviewers were talking about. The grounds there are beautiful and I am sure it would be a wonderful place to stay. We entered the restaurant and didn't see a menu, so we waited and after a while one of the gentlemen who works there advised that he would be right with us. 2 other staff members came out and stood by the counter chatting, never offering any assistance. Finally, I asked if we could see a menu and which point we were acknowledged as if we were bothering them. Rather than provide a menu, we were asked if we had a reservation (no.) We were further informed that they are a very busy place and reservations are sometimes made WEEKS in advance. As we looked around the restaurant, noting several empty tables, I asked if there was anything available. He scoffed and said no, that they were very busy. hmm

We walked out the door and saw that the outside tables were empty as well, other than 3 tables. The whole experience was so strange. I hope the management takes a hard look at the attitude their staff members, as it does reflect upon the Inn. Having a good reputation does not entitle one to display such arrogance.

Although the place smelled wonderful, I cannot comment on the food. I wish I could. Based on how we were treated, I cannot recommend and will not patronize the Glasbern.

• Visited June 2013