“Can't wait to go back to the Glasbern” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown

Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fogelsville
Allentown
“Can't wait to go back to the Glasbern”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2007

We were moving from one house to another and found ourselves "homeless" on the night between houses. It was our 38th wedding anniversary, so I decided to treat us to a night at the Glasbern. I'd heard great things and felt we deserved a little pampering amidst the chaos of packing, moving out,closing, and moving in. How nice it was to be greeted by name and treated so kindly after a long - very long - day of packing the truck.! The accomodations were wonderful! We ate an early breakfast the next morning in the dining room - overlooking the serene countryside.
Everyone we dealt with was professional, polite, and very attentive. We couldn't have asked for more.
Carol and Don Walrod

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank bicycleAllentown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Reading, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2007

My husband booked a two night stay at the Glasbern as a surprise 2 night Anniversary getaway. He spent extra to stay in a Whirlpool and Fireplace room in the Pack house. Room was comfortable. I am a bit picky when it comes to cleanliness and comfort of beds and found the Glasbern ideal.

Our room was on the lower level of the PackHouse overlooking gorgeous rolling hills. Very peaceful and quiet although for the price I felt some things were missing. I have stayed in quite a few B&B over time and most recently in the Poconos before this stay. Although the room was quite comfortable, I felt it was missing some upgrades that could have been done for the price. Namely the TV was a regular TV and was small in relation to distance from the bed. Since we were paying close to $400 a night for the room I would have liked to see more given in upgrades in the room to make it at least equivalent to what we had at home. Also no microwave in room or room service provided even though they have restaurant on site.

In order to make our Anniversary weekend special my Husband also booked their 4 Course Prix Fixe Saturday dinner for $55 a person. We spent the day at the outlets and deliberately ate a very lite lunch thinking we were going to have a very elegant and elaborate dinner. Glasbern does not allow jeans or shorts for dinner so we got back to the room early enough to change in dressier attire for dinner. While Glassbern did a good job in presentation of food, I really had an issue with the quantity of food given and the fact that they automatically include an additional 18% gratuity to your tab. To give you an idea:

-For first course husband ordered scallops and I ordered the duck. His plate arrived with literally "ONE SCALLOP" in middle of plate and I had one small duck leg.
-Second course arrived and he ordered salad and I ordered soup. He literally counted and he had eight lettuce leaves on his plate. My soup was basically chicken broth with a touch a wine and "Three raviolis" the size of a penny in the broth.
-For the main course there was a choice of Salmon, New Zealand Fish, Chicken, and Steak (for an additional $8 upcharge). I had fish the previous 2 nights for dinner so I decided to go with the chicken. My husband decided on the steak. While the food tasted and was presented well the portions were VERY SMALL and left you hungry for more.
-Fourth course we ordered chocolate cake which was good but nothing more than what I could have gotten somewhere else. Again, came out and looked like it was made in a cup cake pan.

By the many completely surprised looks that were floating around the room as the plates and checks arrived after dinner we certainly weren't the only ones who felt that they wouldn't return.

I work in the Lehigh Valley and have eaten at quite a few other restaurants for about the same price in the local area. If you stay at the Glasbern, I would highly recommend that you look at taking a drive into Bethlehem and enjoy a fine dinner there. Namely "THE BLUE" and "Apollo Grille" are spectacular in every way and put this dinner to shame. We've learned our lesson..:)

• Liked — Roomy
  • Disliked — Upgrades
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank countrytraveler_7
US
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2007

We have stayed at this place two times and for us it sets the standard of what country inns should aspire to be. The accommodations are so unique, with the rough-hewn wood and fireplaces and great jacuzzis. Being able to build your own wood fire is a nice feature. We've had wonderful meals at the restaurant and definitely think it's a special-occasion kind of place. I read through some of the reviews and was surprised at some of the negative things mentioned. We did not experience anything like that. In fact, we are due to go back here! For more info and to see our photos visit http://www.weloveourlife.com/inns/glasbern.html

• Liked — wood-burning fireplaces and jacuzzis
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed May 2003, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WeLoveOurLife
Chadds Ford, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2007

The Glasbern exceeds all expectations... delighttful accommodations, and excellent food. Have stayed here multiple times, and each time was perfect. Would strongly recommend. Great wine list!!

• Liked — Great room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2007

We had a wonderful stay in the gatehouse last fall. The grounds were extensive. The room had the fireplace ready to go, a jacuzzi big enough for us (both over 6 ft) and a two story layout that was very cozy. We walked the grounds and found them to be lovely. There was a wedding going on that day but it did not detract from the other guests. Dinner at the inn was WONDERFUL! Great experience!!!

• Stayed September 2006
2 Thank JMCGIVNEY
Bethlehem, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2007

My husband and I found the Glasbern in the Select Registry of Distinguished Inns of North America. A client of my husband's also recommended it. We did not stay at the Inn but only had dinner there with my mother and father-in-law. The grounds are tranquil and refreshing. The welcome was warm. We were seated in a private room at the perimeter of the great room. The decor is beautiful and the restaurant/rest rooms are clean. The menu is four courses--appetizer, soup or salad, entree and dessert. Our waitress was friendly and patient with our elderly parents. My husband and I love places like Whispers in Spring Lake, NJ or Jean George in New York. So, we were frankly disappointed with the food itself--especially when we got the bill. It's a no-price on the menu--which is ok as long as it is really worth the $300 plus dollars!! 18% gratuity is automatically added. We would have only give 15% for average service. We often had to wait for the waitress to come back--longer than is usual--even with our initial drinks and with the dessert after the coffee/tea were served, etc. No spoon with the appetizers--which really needed spoons because of the amount of liquid in them. My father-in-law though they were the soup! And I can see why he did. :) No proper knife to cut the meat--which didn't cut with the "butter" knife. My husband had to "hunt up" the waitress for these and other things. The bread and butter were yummy--both homemade. The Glasbern salad was really fresh and excellent. I could not finish my entree and asked to have it boxed. My husband noticed a piece of bread in the bread basket and said, "Since you won't be serving that again, can you put it in the box." The waitress reply (without blinking an eye), "We feed it to the pigs." She did smile though! I ordered the chicken since it comes directly from their farm--but it didn't taste as fresh and good as chicken I have picked up myself at a farm by us. Neither did the pork. If the meal had cost one third the price, we would have been ok with it and the poor service. Our parents enjoyed the look of the place so much and it made them happy that we were taking them out to such a lovely looking place. We won't be going back though! We're going to be checking TripAdvisor more closely in the future. I'm having second thoughts about eating what I did bring home in the box--I might be feeding it to our "pig" (garbage disposal) since the overall effect of the dinner left a bad taste in my mouth. (We didn't get to see any rooms because they were all occupied. Presumably, from the wedding reception held in another building.)

Stayed June 2007
5 Thank MarianneBethlehem_PA
glasbern, Manager at Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
This review is from 2007, the issues contained within the review have been resolved.
Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2007

If you are looking for peace and tranquility this is the spot to go to. The only negative thing about this trip may have been, just not being able to book the room I wanted, but that's my fault, since I waited to the last minute.

We stayed here for my husband's birthday and it was truly wonderful. We booked a couple's massage and absolutely loved it. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The shower...what a shower - it must of had more then 8 shower heads! We did have a problem with the Jacuzzi, since the jets weren't working. The scenery from our room was absolutely stunning. The grounds were amazing. We didn't really enjoy outside since it was really cold.

Dinner later on that night was amazing, a little on the pricey side. Wine list was very extensive and it had our favorite which is very hard to find even in other top notch restaurants! The keepers were very polite and remembered our names when they saw us at Breakfast Time.

All in all great place to go!

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TravelersNewJersey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fogelsville
Historic Hotel Bethlehem
Historic Hotel Bethlehem
#1 of 14 in Bethlehem
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Allentown-Fogelsville
Bear Creek Mountain Resort
Homewood Suites by Hilton Allentown-West/Fogelsville
Renaissance Allentown Hotel
Wingate by Wyndham Allentown

Been to Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown? Share your experiences!