“The perfect weekend getaway”

Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fogelsville
Reviewed 5 May 2008

My fiancé and I just got back from a weekend at the Inn, it was the perfect weekend getaway. We live in NYC and really needed some time away from the buzz of the city, the constant noise, the smell and the concrete, the Glasbern Inn was exactly what we needed. The buildings are gorgeous and they fit into the countryside so well, they look like they belong there. We loved the fact they had farm animals around (a short walk, just far enough so that you can’t hear them or small them at night), and the flowers were really well done, the grounds are really beautiful. Our room was perfect; we stayed in the Gatehouse, room 48, complete with fireplace and a spiral staircase to a loft with a skylight and big whirlpool tub. We started a fire and crawled into bed to watch it while we fell asleep. The food was also really good. The Inn is all about keeping it local and they really try and use local ingredients (even from their own farm) wherever possible. We really appreciated this as we feel it’s really helping the environment, supports local farmers and provides the freshest and best tasting ingredients. My fiancé is a chef who has trained with and currently works for a 3 Michelin chef from Europe, and we both thought the food at the Inn was really good. The only draw backs were that dinner was over priced, and the atmosphere in the dinning room was stuffy, it was so quiet we almost had to whisper, but again, the food was great. Breakfast, which is included in the room price, was excellent. The staff were nice and super helpful so no complaints there. We plan on coming back for an anniversary in the future, it’s really a special place, it’s the perfect getaway, it wasn’t cheap but for us it was worth every penny we spent.

Another note, if you are looking for something laid back to do during the day, take a drive to some of the vineyards near by and do some wine tasting, not all the wines are that great but the drive to the vineyards is worth it, it’s really beautiful countryside.

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lilRhody4Life

Reviewed 10 December 2007

We have stayed at the Glasbern Inn a few times in the past two years with the most recent stay being Valentine's Day. We have tried to get in two other times over the course of the year and both times they were booked solid. We are going for New Year's Eve this year. We love it there. The rooms are very cozy (not small) and romantic with the fireplaces and the country atmosphere, not to mention the fabulous jacuzzis that you can practically swim in! The desk service has always been very courteous and we have never had a problem so other than check in and out didn't have to contact them for any other reason. I agree that it is pricey but so very worth it. Maybe the only thing to make it a little more value conscious would be that the refreshments in the room (water, juice, beer, trail mix for 2) could be included gratis. We have never tried the dining room and probably won't unless it's just for dinner when we're not staying overnight. I also haven't tried the spa yet but that is definitely something I want to do.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rab8658
Reviewed 16 November 2007

Was at the Glasbern from October 24-26 for a work retreat. The rooms were amazing. My room had a decent size whirlpool, and I believe all if not the majority also have whirlpools. There was plenty of room to sit relax and even have guests. I had several people in the room to watch the world series and there was plenty of space. The bed was very comfortable and aside from the TV, a stereo system was included in the room. The food in the restaurant was very good. Most of the food in the restaurant is from the farm that is located on the Glasbern property. In nice weather, the property is great for short hikes. I would definitely recommend the Glasbern for a nice romantic weekend away; I am actually planning on going back in January. The area was ok, you can visit the Yuengling factory for a tour and beer tasting. You can also visit Cabela's in Hamburg. Downtown Allentown is also not that far away.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank HighFlyerNJ
Reviewed 23 October 2007

Impeccable, clean, refreshing spa, excellent cuisine, beautiful grounds... shall I go on?! My wife and I wanted to spend a night away from our children to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Glasbern was the last place that we considered. After our stay, it is now our first selection as a getaway, in fact, we call it our "own little secret". Steve (the Innkeeper) was great and the staff was extremely professional. We could not find one thing wrong with Glasbern.

Our room was the lower level of the Packhouse with a beautiful view of the hills. We saw the sunset at night and awoke to watch the cows in the pasture with a great fall foilage backdrop. The trails are great to walk with the person you love. Large room, nice gas fireplace, wonderful jacuzzi tub, and nice bottle of wine from one of the local wineries.

Is it pricey? Yes, but it is worth it. Like the old saying "You get what you pay for." We're going back as soon as we can, no doubt!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheSpadys
Reviewed 13 October 2007

We were moving from one house to another and found ourselves "homeless" on the night between houses. It was our 38th wedding anniversary, so I decided to treat us to a night at the Glasbern. I'd heard great things and felt we deserved a little pampering amidst the chaos of packing, moving out,closing, and moving in. How nice it was to be greeted by name and treated so kindly after a long - very long - day of packing the truck.! The accomodations were wonderful! We ate an early breakfast the next morning in the dining room - overlooking the serene countryside.
Everyone we dealt with was professional, polite, and very attentive. We couldn't have asked for more.
Carol and Don Walrod

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank bicycleAllentown
Reviewed 7 October 2007

My husband booked a two night stay at the Glasbern as a surprise 2 night Anniversary getaway. He spent extra to stay in a Whirlpool and Fireplace room in the Pack house. Room was comfortable. I am a bit picky when it comes to cleanliness and comfort of beds and found the Glasbern ideal.

Our room was on the lower level of the PackHouse overlooking gorgeous rolling hills. Very peaceful and quiet although for the price I felt some things were missing. I have stayed in quite a few B&B over time and most recently in the Poconos before this stay. Although the room was quite comfortable, I felt it was missing some upgrades that could have been done for the price. Namely the TV was a regular TV and was small in relation to distance from the bed. Since we were paying close to $400 a night for the room I would have liked to see more given in upgrades in the room to make it at least equivalent to what we had at home. Also no microwave in room or room service provided even though they have restaurant on site.

In order to make our Anniversary weekend special my Husband also booked their 4 Course Prix Fixe Saturday dinner for $55 a person. We spent the day at the outlets and deliberately ate a very lite lunch thinking we were going to have a very elegant and elaborate dinner. Glasbern does not allow jeans or shorts for dinner so we got back to the room early enough to change in dressier attire for dinner. While Glassbern did a good job in presentation of food, I really had an issue with the quantity of food given and the fact that they automatically include an additional 18% gratuity to your tab. To give you an idea:

-For first course husband ordered scallops and I ordered the duck. His plate arrived with literally "ONE SCALLOP" in middle of plate and I had one small duck leg.
-Second course arrived and he ordered salad and I ordered soup. He literally counted and he had eight lettuce leaves on his plate. My soup was basically chicken broth with a touch a wine and "Three raviolis" the size of a penny in the broth.
-For the main course there was a choice of Salmon, New Zealand Fish, Chicken, and Steak (for an additional $8 upcharge). I had fish the previous 2 nights for dinner so I decided to go with the chicken. My husband decided on the steak. While the food tasted and was presented well the portions were VERY SMALL and left you hungry for more.
-Fourth course we ordered chocolate cake which was good but nothing more than what I could have gotten somewhere else. Again, came out and looked like it was made in a cup cake pan.

By the many completely surprised looks that were floating around the room as the plates and checks arrived after dinner we certainly weren't the only ones who felt that they wouldn't return.

I work in the Lehigh Valley and have eaten at quite a few other restaurants for about the same price in the local area. If you stay at the Glasbern, I would highly recommend that you look at taking a drive into Bethlehem and enjoy a fine dinner there. Namely "THE BLUE" and "Apollo Grille" are spectacular in every way and put this dinner to shame. We've learned our lesson..:)

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank countrytraveler_7
Reviewed 20 September 2007

We have stayed at this place two times and for us it sets the standard of what country inns should aspire to be. The accommodations are so unique, with the rough-hewn wood and fireplaces and great jacuzzis. Being able to build your own wood fire is a nice feature. We've had wonderful meals at the restaurant and definitely think it's a special-occasion kind of place. I read through some of the reviews and was surprised at some of the negative things mentioned. We did not experience anything like that. In fact, we are due to go back here! For more info and to see our photos visit http://www.weloveourlife.com/inns/glasbern.html

• Stayed: May 2003, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WeLoveOurLife
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fogelsville
Bear Creek Mountain Resort
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Allentown-Fogelsville
Historic Hotel Bethlehem
Historic Hotel Bethlehem
#1 of 14 in Bethlehem
Holiday Inn Conference Center Lehigh Valley
Homewood Suites by Hilton Allentown-West/Fogelsville
Renaissance Allentown Hotel

Been to Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown? Share your experiences!