“Nice Little Place With Good Food”
Review of Hungry Bear Cafe - CLOSED

Hungry Bear Cafe
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had never heard of Hungry Bear until my job had an event there today. Parking was very limited. We actually parked in the Septa Train station parking lot for $1. The Cafe had only about five parking places and one or two were handicap. It's not easy to get to either. It is located in an old ticket station building.

With that said the food was good. I had some type of tomato soup on a crouton (I don't remember the name of it). It was very good. We had to wait a bit for dinner service for some reason. I'm not sure what that was about. However, I didn't credit that to the restaurant as it could have been planned that way by my job.

I had roasted salmon with french fries and salad for dinner. The salmon was ok. I would even say it was good. I'm not sure I like roasted salmon, but that's not the restaurant's fault or anything. The peach cobbler for desert was very good.

It doesn't look like a place that you would go unannounced, i.e., without a reservation and expect to eat in a reasonable amount of time. I suspect that you would have to wait a while without a reservation because the dinner area was quite small.

I cannot comment on the value since I didn't pay for anything. It was a business function for my job.

Anyway it was a nice place and good food. I would recommend it if you catch the train at the Fort Washington, PA train station.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This place is puts the "hidden" in hidden gem. It's tucked away in an old train station ticket building down a little private driveway off of Bethlehem Pike (across from Rich's Deli). The parking and seated is very limited, but they do take reservations. I highly recommend reservations if you're coming with 4+ people, or on a mother's/father's day. The food is awesome! The portions are very filling and they're not overpriced at all, especially considering they use local ingredients and make a lot of their food from scratch! Since I found this place, I've been back 3 times in less than one month; twice for Sunday Brunch (Brunch is only on the weekends) and I called in once time for take-out lunch midweek.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Grabbed lunch here one day. Very much enjoyed the grilled cheddar with tomato. The soup was also quite good. I will definitely go back and try their brunch if I get the chance.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I Googled best brunch in Philadelphia area. There were obviously a lot of selections. However I did not feel like going downtown and dealing with traffic. So I looked at places closer to me. This place came up and there pictures of their entrees on the menu. My pregnant girlfriend had a craving for a large quantity of food and their brunch was open until 4. We went there and was not disappointed. The portions were great sized. The service was friendly and knowledgeable. The owner came out to speak with us and that was impressive. I will definitely go back. The only thing was finding it was a little bit of a challenge. But once you do it is certainly worth the trip.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

My husband and I went for brunch after recommendation from a friend.
The cafe is located by the Fort Washington train station on Bethlehem Pike.
Small restaurant but interesting menu.
I loved the unsweetened ice tea option.
Enjoyed the mushroom omlette with toast and my husband ordered the fried chicken sandwich.
Would like to try some of the items on the dinner menu not served for lunch of brunch.
Will be back again.