“Beyond Expectations”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gaines
Philadelphia
“Beyond Expectations”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights this July and really had a great experience. 2 adults, 2 kids in Suite #5. Meticulously clean, very well equipped. Only had dishes & silverware for 4, but we used the grill (bring your own charcoal) to cook dinner and made due. Nice selection of pots & pans and a modern kitchen. Made a campfire, with the wood provided, and toasted marshmallows down by the creek. The kids loved wading in the creek and playing on the large lawn. Suite was really comfortable & cozy, but even though all units face the creek, they are close to the road. Couldn't sleep with the windows open. Close to the Grand Canyon and a great restaurant down the road (Log Cabin Restaurant). Will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Individual cabins & 6 suites in a lodge
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank TinaDibiaso

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 July 2014

What a great little getaway we had to Gaines, PA. My boyfriend and I were here for 4th of July weekend 2014, we originally had plans to stay at another cabin but last minute the other place called and bumped us out of our rental space...Rough Cut Lodge was miraculously available! We booked a room with them asap! We were driving from CT and weren't going to arrive until 2am. Diana and Doug were so nice to leave our cabin lights on for us with the door open, as well as the AC on and a list of recommended things to do in the area. It was great to just come into the room and pass out after a long drive. The place was way more than I expected. It was very clean and cozy and felt like home. A full kitchen with all the kitchen amenities you could need and more. (next time i'll bring stuff to cook an entire meal!) We had a very cute fireplace and a nice flat screen tv and the bedroom was great with a nice queen bed, armoire, and closet. The property was BEAUTIFUL, tons of grass and right on Pine Creek, there was also an available fire pit that anyone could use when need be.
I would definitely recommend this place to couples and families! We will definitely be staying here again when we come back around that way!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marisa P
Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stayed here for the Dickens Weekend in Wellsboro. We had suite1. Beautiful place to stay. Very comfortable beds. Loved the view. And Doug and Diana are so nice and very helpful. We would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Peggy P
WORCESTER
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We stayed here for Thanksgiving, we were in town visiting family. We were pleasantly surprised at how nice the lodge was. My husband and I stayed in the Maple lodge and it was a perfect size for us. The lodge has a functional kitchen with table, living room area with flat panel tv and a gas fireplace, bedroom and bathroom with shower/tub. There is also a back porch area with a swing with beautiful views of the mountains and Pine Creek. The owners were very nice, I booked over the phone and had a pleasant conversation and after we checked in Don (one of the owners) came by to make sure we were all set. You can tell the owners take great care of the lodges and as a guest I appreciated that. This is located in a great area, lots to do and see.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travelbugsforlife
Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

I am from the area but am military so I only get to visit every couple of years. My family (4) met up with my mom, dad and brother to surprise my grandpa for his 80th birthday. The owners Doug and his wife were so amazing and made you feel like family! The cabins are beautiful and roomy and make you feel right at home but only better! We will stay there every change we get when we come home!!!!!! They have done an amazing job with this place!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Jaderbugs
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We went there for a mini vacation and were pleasantly surprised. We stayed at the Maple Lodge (being there were only two of us). It was just the right size and has AMAZING mountain views. We seen all kinds of wildlife (deer,chipmunks, and even a gopher on the property).Later that evening we went to a restaurant just down the road called the Log Cabin Inn, and loved the food there !! (We are from the south) The only disappointment is that there is no phone service there. But other than that, NO COMPLAINTS !!! Really anticipating the next time we are able to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JRRay214
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 12 October 2008

We just returned from a long weekend in the PA Grand Canyon. We had a great time. My husband and I took our 7 year old twins for a four day trip. We stayed at the Rough Cut Lodge. It was a really nice place.

First, let me say that my husband, a city boy at heart, was a little concerned when I told him I wanted to hike and bike in the PA Grand Caynon. I mentioned camping, and the Rough Cut Lodge was our compromise. It consists of very nice, very clean cabins. We had three bedrooms, two baths (one had a tub), a full kitchen and a living space. We had a great porch with picnic table which over looked manicured grounds and a creek. The kitchen was fully appointed and, with the groceries I brought, I made a pancake and bacon breakfast easily. We had our own charcoal grill and there were fire rings for you to start a camp fire if you preferred. My kids loved creek stomping in the creek after a day of bike riding.

The lodge was five miles away from an entry to the Pine Creek rail trail, one of the best biking trails in the world (so we were told). We had a great time! We saw a bald eagle and two snakes (tiny garder snakes). We took a horse drawn carriage ride. We hiked a mountain (there were stairs, making it less scary for 7 year olds), saw a waterfall and were rewarded with ice cream at the top of the trail. We also drove about 30 minutes to another parking lot along the trail for a second day of biking. The trail is very flat and an easy ride. There are bathrooms (outhouses) every 4 miles or so.

For dinner, we went out one night. There were a few nice restaurants in the area. We went to the Antler Inn - it was great food! You are in a really rural area, so there are no chain restaurants, big box stores, super markets or other signs of suburbia (which we enjoyed). But, we were able to find plenty of ice cream stores! The town of Wellsboro is the county seat and it is a really nice town with a variety of shops and restaurants. It was about 15 minutes away from the Rough Cut Lodge, through the mountain passes.

We really enjoyed the Rough Cut Lodge. It was a very nice place (definately not camping, but a great mountain experience). We were very pleasantly surprised and we had a great time here!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No cell phone service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank bettykid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaines
Penn Wells Lodge
#3 of 5 in Mansfield
Canyon Motel
Canyon Motel
#1 of 6 in Wellsboro

Been to Rough Cut Lodge? Share your experiences!