“Great getaway in the country”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Living Room
First Floor Bathroom
Library
Cross Fork Creek
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Erin T
Silver Spring
“Great getaway in the country”
Reviewed 3 May 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

A family group from DC and NYC met at the farmhouse for Easter weekend and had a wonderful time. The farm is quiet, dark, huge house and nice space to roam for the kids and animals. We only stayed 3 nights but could've stayed a week or more if time. It's not really close to much and yet you can get to town or hikes very quickly as needed. Only warning I give is to watch and check for ticks after venturing out. Our dogs got several and humans one too, so keep an eye out. Benn was terrific and the chickens and animals were nice to be around. Our kids ran wild and with little traffic, we didn't worry. And the stars, so many stars. We will go back again, just a matter of when. Enjoy!

coreco
Nuangola, Pennsylvania
“Unforgettable experience!”
Reviewed 28 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016
person found this review helpful

My friends and I had such a great time at this charming house. We all agreed the pictures do not give this home it's full glory, it's really special. I personally loved how you could feel the history throughout the entire home while having all the modern convinces. All the appliances worked well and everything was very clean and neat. Shower pressure is amazing! There is no AC but we were there on 86° day and were quite comfortable. When you sleep at night there are fans in the window, just be sure to make sure you have the fan blowing at you and not out.
When we got to the home Thankful was waiting to check us in. She was very friendly and easy to talk to. Ben and Thankful live on the same road but you still have complete privacy, it's quite a ways down.
We brought some lawn games and had a lot of fun sitting by the fire pit and enjoying nature. The absolute highlight of our trip was the stars, we were blown away! On both nights we were able to see the Milky Way and this is when the moon was almost half-full, the trick was to start viewing them before the moon rose which for us was at midnight. My husband and I have been to some pretty remote Caribbean islands and they had nothing on the stars here. Words can't describe how spectacular it was.
We were able to go up and use the tower at the other home, while it's a must do experience, so cool being able to see 360°, we all felt we could see the stars better from our house. That being said I would go up to the tower again in a heartbeat!
There are many chickens that roam the property, another highlight of our trip! We had so much fun watching them just go about their day. We were able to gently pick one up, I'm certain she had a liking for one friend in our party and would follow him around, she is the larger blonde one and we named her Emma :)
There is a grocery store in Galeton and we found more that we needed for supplies, actually we were quite impressed. For smaller needs there is a little country store in Germania which is much closer and there is a really cool bar across from the store est. 1856. We cannot wait to come back next year, this was such a special relaxing trip. Do try to get out to see the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, it's lovely.

Silvio Di...
“Great house in a great location.”
Reviewed 17 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015

We loved the location, loved the house, loved the chickens, loved the cows, loved Rex and Gilly (the dogs).
We came up to stargaze, which turned out to be a 50/50 success, one night being overcast but made up for the following night which was spectacular; there's really no need to go to nearby Cherry Springs State Park. Also, foliage was in full "bloom" this time of year in this part of the state, which was an added bonus.
A special thanks to Ben and Thankful, the owners. Also, the children, it was nice to see them carrying out their chores (feeding the chickens), there's hope for the future of the planet.
We hope to be back soon.
Thank you again Ben and Thankful.
Silvio & crew.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Liked best: The location of the house and beauty of the surrounding scenery.
Liked least: No live feed on the TV except for Fox News Radio.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
18 Oct 2015
We are glad you enjoyed your time on the farm. Please come again soon
God Bless
Benn and Thankful
Latoya R
Philadelphia
“Great house, Spectacular view, and Superb proprietor”
Reviewed 12 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015
person found this review helpful

This is a beautiful home with lots of space. My bed was firm, but comfortable. There are A LOT of windows & only the bedrooms & downstairs bathroom have full length curtains. The living room is small for a house this size, but the dinning room is a good size & there are additional rooms downstairs that people can spread out in. This is an old farmhouse, so you can expect some additional crawly & flying guests (spiders, etc), & creaking flrs. The steps leading up to the 2nd flr are a bit high, but my mother who has difficulty walking, was able to manage them (slowly). The kitchen is roomy & has everything you'll need, minus food. Although we were given fresh vegetables, eggs, and berries. The WiFi worked fine. There is 1 TV, which shocked me for a house this size, but I would guess most people don't come to this area to stay in a watch TV. Although there are a few other properties along Short Run Road, there's very little traffic. The chickens that live near the house offer great entertainment. We were able to feed them & after a few tries, I was able to pick a few up. I don't know why, but watching the chickens run to you for food is still a very funny thing to me.

The scenery around the house is a wonderful thing, with nearby cornfields, trees, & rolling mountains/hills. There is a tower close by at another house on the property that offers great views day & night. You have to go up a steep hill to get to it. I was able to get my 2 drive sedan up & down it okay, but I was very nervous coming down. We walked up & down the hill on our 2nd trip to the tower. It gets extremely dark at night, which is why I chose this place. It's perfect for star gazing even with the naked eye. I was fortunate to see a few "shooting stars". My teenage daughter didn't appreciate the dark skies of Potter county. Although there were 2 other bdrms she could have slept in, she bunked with me. I have to admit I was a bit scared to be out at night myself, especially after we were told about the animals that occasionally roam around. It's a good distance drive to get to more populated area.

Benn, was a great host. Any issues that arose, were handled quickly. He even took the time to fix the trunk of my car, which broke and refused to close on my drive up to the farmhouse. Our family had wonderful conversations with him for hrs. He is truly a kind person and it was a pleasure to have met him. We only saw Thankful & the kids the last night of our stay & they were very welcoming.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The host and the chickens
Liked least: Lack of Curtains for windows
Travelling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing