“Great fun”
Review of Arasapha Farms

Arasapha Farms
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Glen Mills
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

A visit to Arasapha at Halloween is an unforgettable experience for you and your family. It may be a bit intense for young children.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our group of three adults went on Tuesday, October 23rd, 2013, a clear night about a week before Halloween. The site opens at 6:30pm. We showed up just after 7pm, and waited no more than a COMBINED 10 minutes for a ticket and ALL THREE of the attractions.

Before I proceed to summarize each of the three attractions, I will preface by stating that I don't scare easily. I'm satisfied with the experience so long as the actors stay in character, and the attraction is visually and aurally appealing throughout. Undoubtedly, pyrotechnics, special effects, and a storyline can sweeten the experience immensely.

HAYRIDE
Easily the strongest of the three attractions, and probably the best single haunted attraction I've ever experienced. It's about a 25 minute ride through the woods, start to finish. There were SO many live actors. Since the path is a complete circle, I wouldn't be surprised of some of the actors migrated back and forth between sections... but it's difficult to say for sure. As the ride progressed through several well-constructed scenes, the actors were appropriately dressed and in character to match. The moonshine-brewing rednecks even smelled like moonshine! There were lots of surprises, lots of interaction, and even a good deal of light contact, but not too much... just enough to skeeve you out. Rest assured, the only thing that would cause you harm might be the overwhelming smell of diesel exhaust from the tractor.

CORN MAZE/TRAIL
Despite a great deal of ambient light pollution that the trees otherwise filtered for the hayride, the engineers did a fantastic job in making sure the corn maze was chock full of surprises. Similar to the hayride, the trail progressed through several scenes with lots of live actors and animatronics. Very light fog (mostly natural last night, I believe) was used to disperse the light of strategically placed flood bulbs. So you'd be walking along, and before you know it, you're face to face with someone you never saw coming. Perhaps they were standing there the whole time!? The dispersion of light also enhanced any surprises as you rounded a corner into a floodlight that's facing into your path. Total time was about 15-20 minutes.

HOUSE
Very elaborate and impressive sets throughout. Some of the costumes were unbelievably fantastic. I couldn't believe one was even on stilts! Despite tight quarters, the actors managed to hide and sneak fairly successfully in the shadows. I was impressed how long the walkthrough was (15-20 minutes) despite how small the building looks.

Overall, the amount of love and effort put into this project is outstanding. Even though I didn't find it particularly scary, I felt it was worth every penny... especially since I got to see my poor Russian mother-in-law curled up in a ball in the middle of the hay wagon. Evidently, she was horrified. They just don't have stuff like this in Russia... though I'm pretty sure they do have chainsaw-wielding bears.

Tips:
+ Do the hayride FIRST. It's the first of the three attractions to close each night.
+ Go on a weeknight with clear weather, and try to get there before 7pm.
+ Buy a combo ticket, NOT individual tickets to each attraction.
+ Get the coupon from their website to save $10 per adult combo ticket, making the price $30 instead of $40. You will need to print one per person.
+ As with any haunted attraction, the live actors are smart enough to know who to scare. It's what they're paid to do, and they love a good challenge. Cowering in the back or middle of your group will only make it worse. They will find you, and they will be relentless in doing so. If you truly cannot handle the thought of strangers getting in your face, and trying to scare you to the point of crying or losing control of bodily functions, then save your money and go rent Despicable Me 2 instead.
+ If you're leading your group through the house or corn maze, you bear the responsibility of keeping a healthy buffer zone between you and the group in front of you. Not doing so will most certainly result in a less satisfying experience for your entire group. Do not cave in to the demands of the wussies in the back of your group! Hopefully the staff doesn't feed people through like cattle when it's crowded.
+ Also, if you're leading your group, and you manage to make eye contact with an actor hiding ahead or next to you, give a subtle point "behind" (like point with your thumb into the front of your shoulder), so they might provide a surprise to someone behind you. You can enhance that surprise by momentarily drawing your friends' attention to the other side.

2  Thank FeloniusMonkey
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I don't typically write reviews, but I felt compelled to do so this time. We had our daughter's first birthday party here yesterday, & everything was PERFECT!

The staff was so helpful, helped us bring stuff in from the car, etc.

They had a separate picnic area set up just for us with our own trash can & a cooler available for us to use.

They checked on us to see that everything was going well.

They also made sure our group had our own private hayride.

Five stars, totally worth the money, all the kids had a blast!! My two older ones (10 & 13) are asking when we can go back.

Thank you Arasapha Farms!!

Reviewed 15 August 2013

The Bate's Motel at Arasapha Farms is AWESOME! Hayride was one of the best I've been on. The haunted house and corn maze were really well detailed and expertly lit. Actors and costumes were pretty good too. Not too scary, but just a lot of fun!

Reviewed 19 October 2012

We visited on SAturday, 10/13/12. The ticket line was two long rows of stanchion completely full but the wait wasn’t actually too bad… 15 minutes or so. The pre-paid ticket line of course was empty but for the 5 of us it would have cost $12.50 in surcharges which is craziness. The VIP ticket line was also empty because the VIP ticket is majorly overpriced. Almost double to skip the lines??!! I don’t think so. And honestly I don’t think I was the only person to feel that way since we hardly saw anyone do VIP the whole night.

Westward Trail
Wait was only 20 minutes. Guests were being sent out in intervals which was awesome since it allowed for scenes and actors to fully reset between groups. I think some people were skipping this attraction which was truly sad since it was, IMHO, the best of the night. The sets and layout sadly didn’t change much from last year with the exception of the mine area which is now a circus but both were still good enough for it not to be a huge problem. The shining star of the attraction this year was once again was the actors. They were beautifully made up and costumed and they all played their parts perfectly. Hopefully they’ll totally revamp the sets and layouts next year while keeping the same quality to freshen this one up. Eh… I’m not gonna hold my breath.

House
The wait ended up being 30 minutes and we felt glad of this until we got to the door and realized why. They had pretty much abandoned the idea of groups and were letting a steady line of people stream through the House. This really doesn’t work… it blows to be blunt… since most of the scenes have to be reset to achieve the desired scare. Luckily I ended up seeing most of the rooms in their full glory but my poor sister who was 5 people back saw pretty much reset after reset. She said this completely ruined the experience for her as all of the scares were spoiled or worse… totally missed. I understand a long wait is not ideal but paying for an attraction and only seeing 10% of it is way worse. Please go back to groups Bates. It IS worth the wait since the house was quite good this year. There was a lot of new banging and noises which really worked and also some new, cool lighting effects which were subtle and spooky. The end room was a bit underwhelming compared to years past but I think we may have stumbled in there during the reset. The actors in there looked surprised to see us. Haha. I am hoping for some more changes next year since a lot of the rooms were exactly the same as the last few years but overall I enjoyed the House.

Hayride
Why I didn’t skip the Hayride this year I’ll never know. We waited 1 hour 30 minutes and it was of course sooo not worth it. Year after year I say I’m going to skip and yet year after year I somehow end up on the damn wagon, in the middle, shaking my head. Of course this year was no exception. I ended up sitting in the middle, cursing the stupid soundtrack and not seeing a single new or different thing.

ATTN: Randy Bates… the hayride sets and scares are really tired and predictable. Also, you really need to add sound effects to most of the scenes and scares… a falling sign that doesn’t bang is just plain stupid.

Also, it seemed that there were less actors in the woods but maybe that was just me. You don’t get much action in the middle of the wagon unless you count people’s feet in your butt. Honestly, I don’t think more actors would have redeemed this one anyway. I did want to mention that the zombie slinking around the line was spectacular and the stuff on the projector was entertaining although with such long lines a longer loop would have been nice. Overall I hated this attraction but then again I always do. Boo! Oh… and I don’t mean that in a good way.

Happily I can say that I did enjoy most of this haunt this year. If it had been less crowded I think I’d be able to say that aside from the stupid hayride I had a great time. Of course that’s not Bates fault. Can’t hate them for wanting to bring in as many people as possible. Oh… a couple of random things… when you go on a crowded night remember to bring your own drinks and snacks. The line for the concession stand was 25 minutes pretty much the whole night. Not even the most delicious hot chocolate on the planet is worth that wait. Sorry. Also, be prepared to secondhand smoke at least an entire pack of cigarettes throughout the night. The smoking in the lines was absolutely out of hand. Hope Bates doesn’t add a surcharge for black lung in next year’s pricing. Haha.

4  Thank LESLIEKURZ