“Best meal I've had locally”
Review of Il Granaio

Il Granaio
Ranked #1 of 65 Restaurants in Glen Mills
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania
“Best meal I've had locally”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Thank god there's finally a local option that isn't a chain! I've never wanted to go here, because its outside has never appealed to me, but inside, it's really nice looking, like a modern barn type feel. The food is awesome. They give you break and some delicious dip in the beginning. I love the shrimp zuccini dish they have. It's honestly one of the best dishes I've ever had.

Make reservations!!!

• Visited March 2014

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
“Terrific Food and Service”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Went to Il Granaio with a group of 5 friends. Huge parking lot was a full and we had to park about a block away. Not complaining, just explaining how popular this restaurant is even at 7 PM on a Wednesday night. Even though we had reservations we still had to wait about 20 minutes for a table. Unfortunately, there really is no place to wait so just stood around by the hostess' desk. This gave me an opportunity to appear into the kitchen and watch the dance of the chef. Amazing how he kept 8 saute pans and myriad sauce pans working. Watching a professional chef is truly like watching a choreographed dance.

The large room you first enter has terrible accoustics and was really noisy. Fortunately we were seated in the smaller back room (which is really at the front of the building since you enter in the back). Julian, our waiter, was charming and helpful. Hardest part was deciding what to order because there are so many wonderfu choices. A friend and I shared the Polenta del Granaio (crispy herbed corn polenta, served with sauteed mushrooms with a creamy gorgonzola sauce). This was so incredible I could have made a meal of it and was sorry I agreed to share. My main entree was the Risotto Primavera with grilled shrimp served over artichoke and asparagus risotta with an arugula pesto sauce. It was outstanding. However, when you pay $20.00 for a dish that is mostly rice I would have expected more than 3 shrimp with it. Everyone ordered a different dish and everyone was quite happy. I watched as another table was served the grilled whole fish. The waiter was quite adept at fileting it and next time I go will definitely order this. The meal was topped off with a complimentary glass of linencello.

Highly recommend Il Granaio for a fabulous dinner but not for a romantic quiet meal.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Madamqueen
“Delicious”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was our first time here though we live nearby but it won't be our last. Love the BYOB, keeps the cost down. Two in our party split the grilled octopus for an appetizer and raved about it. I don't usually do octopus but tried it and like it as well, may even get it next time. The caprese salad was just ok, tomatoes were not very ripe so that was disappointing, especially for an Italian restaurant. For entrees one
had the branzini and loved it. The man who filleted it tableside did so with a spoon and fork and managed to get every bone. The other two of us had fettuccini with lobster & asparagus and loved every bite if it. We had creme brulee for dessert which was also wonderful and a good size.
I strongly suggest reservations for any night of the week. We were there on thursday at 6pm and by 7pm it was packed.
The only real negative I have is that out table was next to the WC and while there was a hallway behind the door leading to the restrooms it was a steady stream of people in and out as you can imagine.

• Visited June 2014
Parkesburg, Pennsylvania
“Won't go again for lunch”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Went for lunch with colleagues. Food was fine, but took 20 minutes from the time we ordered until the meals were served which makes it a risky choice for lunch. It wasn't that they were busy, even. Just very slow service all around.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Karl M
Philadelphia
“Solid, but a bit underwhelming based on other reviews”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I went to Il Granaio in 2 months ago. The service was excellent but the food was a little inconsistent. For appetizers, my date and I ordered calamari and polenta. The calamari was delicious, very crispy. The polenta, however, was not good at all. I'm not the biggest fan of polenta to begin with, so maybe my opinion was a tad skewed...but my date didn't like it either.

For an entree, I got the mushroom ravioli which was pretty tasty. I would go here again, but I'm not necessarily in a rush to do so. Again, service was excellent though.

• Visited April 2014

Been to Il Granaio? Share your experiences!