“Good location”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Glen Mills
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good location”
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My wife and I are travelling Pennsylvania on Vacation. The Hotel Front desk staff are excellent, pleasant and friendly. We had a suite on the 2nd Floor it was fine, decor a little dated particularly the bathroom. The room was dirty in places particularly the corners where no vacuuming had been done. Breakfast very good, typical of this type of hotel, the main member of staff in this area was rude and downright miserable, obviously an attitude with paying guests. I have stayed in many Holiday Inns over many years and have never been ignored, then spoken to in an unprofessional manner as in this hotel by this member of staff. For this reason I will certainly not return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
South Portland, Maine
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed there this week with a colleague on a business trip.

Room was clean as was the bathroom. The wireless internet was free but slow. The decor is a bit antiquated and could use some freshening up.

When we checked in, there were 3 people behind the desk yet they could only attend to one of us at a time. When I got to my room (at the far end of a hall on the 4th floor), my card key didn't work (and I had been holding it in my hand the whole time so no chance of it deactivating from my cell phone). Exhausted from a busy day, I had to go all the way back down to the front desk with my luggage so they could re-activate the key.

The hair dryer in the bathroom did not turn on and, by the time I realized it, I knew I didn't have time to go down to the front desk to get another so ended up going to my colleague's room on my way out in the morning.

It served the purpose for sleeping but it was nothing special.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
JBeretsky, Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Thank you for your review of the hotel. We take all guest review seriously to try and improve for future guests.

We sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. Since the beginning of September, we have been training new personnell, and understandably at times this can get frustrating, as errors are more common and it can be a slower check-in process. Our trainees have a lot of information to learn in a short period of time, and they do their best, however minor mistakes are likely to happen. We hope you return soon, and can see how our new trainees have reached their full potential as outstanding guest service associates.
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 12 September 2011

As an Extended Stay (ES) customer, I rated this location very good instead of excellent for the following reasons:
Staff:
• Management, front desk, housekeeping, maintenance and dining personnel all rated Excellent. All were courteous, knowledgeable, and professional in every manner. Not one time did I see any indication from any employee having a “bad day” letting it show to a customer?

A good manager surrounds him/her self with like people and Jon Beretsky certainly does that. A “tip-of- the-hat” to him for having that quality.
Facility:
• Handicap parking is blocked by shrubbery and a Stop sign limiting visibility to traffic entering or leaving the hotel. Safety problem
• Slow Lobby elevator. Biggest complaint during my stay. I Understand house keeping ties up the elevator but week end guests do not.
• To an ES customer, Television selection was my pet peeve. Most of the time, two channels were unavailable, i.e. one week CNBC and MSNBC, next week HBO and TNT etc.
• The couch in room 225 sinks to the floor (it seems) and is very uncomfortable.
I enjoyed my stay and would stay there again. If the above improvements were made, this facility would rate an Outstanding.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Dale S
Thank you for your review of our hotel and your continued patronage of our establishment. We are happy you could call our hotel "home" while you were here and that our staff was able to make your stay pleasant.

We have been in touch with our satelite provider, and they are currently in the process of installing a new piece of equipment to the dish which will allow them to remotely acccess and fix any reception problems, without having to wait for a technician to come out. This should solve the problem of the missing channels. All other issues experienced during your stay should be resolved with the upcoming renovation. We would love for you to come back once the renovation is complete and hope to see you again soon.
Central PA
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I am traveling to this area again with family; called to check on my reservation request. ALL is in order very professional and helpful, adding my comments to room reservations. A super place to stay, we are members of Longwood and Wintethur this is our Favorite location. Very attentive staff a very good example of what HIE can be!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
JBeretsky, Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. Our staff strives to make all of our guests happy every day. We look forward to your return to our hotel. Anyone coming to visit Longwood or Winterthur who are not members, please feel free to ask our reservations department about the packages we offer which include tickets to these locations.
Hixson, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We stayed a few days while visiting family. The hotel seemed kind of beat - am always suspicious when the carpet is very dark in the room but the rest seemed clean enough. I realize this summer is HOT and businesses are trying to save money but it was uncomfortable to have no A/C in the hallways. The room A/C was on a motion sensor - which was also uncomfortable when you walk in although it did cool down fairly quickly.

The only rooms available when we made a reservation, were the suites. The bedroom was small and the bed right up next to the A/C unit so it blew on my face ALL night long - I had to put the sheet over my head to avoid a sore throat in the morning. Also, with the motion sensor, it would shut off in the night until one of us rolled over, then it would kick on and wake us. The other room had NO A/C so it was too hot to sit and watch TV or work on the computer. Not the best set up. The bathroom was small and the shower/tub clastrophobic. The shower head was low so we had to bend over to wash hair.

This was the most expensive hotel of our trip and it is sorely in need of a renovation. We had no "view" to speak of - over back with dumpsters, A/C units and Dunking Donuts drive through. Quiet enough but we didn't enjoy it.

Breakfast was standard HIE fare and we had plent to eat. Do like getting the newspaper in the morning.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We take all guest comments seriously and use them to try and improve our facilities for the next guest.

Unfortunately, this summer has seen record-breaking heat in our area of the country, with the temperatures climbing to over 100* at times. Unfortunately, the upper floors hallways AC units were not adequate to cool the hall. We have since ordered and installed brand-new units.

It sounds like the room you were in is one of our Queen Parlor Suites. These suites have a bedroom with a seperate living room area and a TV in each room. Many guests love these suites simply due to the fact that they can leave their work in the living room and still be able to relax in the bedroom without having to stare at an unfinished project all night. On the contrary, other guests prefer open space, and for those guests I would suggest a standard room with a King bed.

I apologize for the AC issues you experienced in your room. There are boosters which are meant to carry the cold air into the living room through a vent. I will address the booster issue with maintenance, which is usually a very quick fix.

The occupancy sensors have been installed in all guest rooms as part of our "Green" initiative. They are infrared sensors designed to detect when the room is occupied in order to reduce the ammount of energy used to heat/cool unoccupied rooms. There is a set temperature range for both occupied and unoccupied rooms, and the AC unit will turn on and off as needed in order to sustain the desired temperature.

We hope that you will visit us again some time in the future and try one of our more spacious King rooms, or one of our feature suites. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 July 2011

This review is to state a simple fact, I've been staying in this hotel for the better part of 3 years. I have been in hotels in this country from coast to coast. I have stayed in multiple hotels in the phila. area. This hotel has treated me better then the others. The rates are reasonable,The room are clean, If there have been ANY issues the hotel staff have gon out of their way to correct the issue and have checked in later to ensure I was satisfied.
If you are planning a stay in the phila. area I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Ed_Hetzel
JBeretsky, Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
Thank you so much for the wonderful review of the hotel! Our staff works very hard to give our guests the best and it is great to see them recognized for all that they do. We appreciate all the business you have given us and we look forward to see you return again and again!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stayed here over the weekend for a tournament. We had requested 2 beds, but received one. The hotel was booked through One Hockey and there was some miscommunication on the room. The staff gave us one option and that was to go to another hotel. Later I talked to the manager who seemed very nice and explained his position and he told me he would talk to the organization and call me back. NOTHING! We went on line and booked another room even though the front desk said there were no rooms. Our rooms were very old and tired and had a funky smell. The AC did not work in one of the rooms. It was a very frustrating weekend in this hotel. The rest of the family stayed down the road at the StayBridge and said it was great.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
JBeretsky, Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Our staff strives to accommodate every guest's needs, unfortunately in sold-out situations this can be difficult to do. All reservations for the One Hockey Tournament were made through the venue hosting the tournament. Room assignments for this tournament are based on the number of people registered in each reservation, all of this information is provided by the guest to the tournament director. We work very closely with this venue for many other tournaments throughout the year. This guest had originally registered that thier were two people in their room, as such we gave them a complimentary upgrade to a suite with a queen size bed and a twin sleeper sofa. At check in they arrived with more guests than initally registered. We tried to accommodate their request for two double beds, however all those rooms were occupied by larger families who registered as such. When the guest arrived with more people than registered, they were understandably upset. At the time we were sold out of the roiom types they were requesting and did not have any additional rooms to offer them. The room they were able to book online was due to a last minute cancellation, it was also for a room with 1 king bed which would not have accommodated the guest. I spoke with the guest and informed her that I would be able to honor the tournament rate eventhough she booked the additional king room at a higher price. I then personally spoke with the tournament director about this situation who informed us that she only had two people registered for the room as well, and there was nothing they could do to help the situation other than find her accommodations at another property. She also agreed that we went above and beyond what we were required to do in offering the discount on the second room. The last thing we ever want to do is turn a guest away, however after exhausting all options available at our hotel, we felt the only way to try to accommodate this guest would be to help them find accommodations at another property for the room type they now wanted. We even offered to waive the cancellation fee for the reservation should they choose to move. The guest made the decision to stay at our hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Mills
Brandywine River Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chadds Ford
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Chester
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kennett Square Brandywine Valley

Been to Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington? Share your experiences!