“This is NOT a 3 star hotel”

Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Glen Mills
New York
“This is NOT a 3 star hotel”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Had a pretty lousy stay at this hotel. The hotel has been very cheaply renovated. Please check out my pictures posted. This was rated a 3 star but should be a 2. The room was clean but not completely. The corners were dirty and dusty. The bathroom wall was peeling paint. The bed was hard and not comfortable. The bed was made with fresh clean linens but the pillowcases were wrinkled and not pressed. When I check into a hotel all the linens are freshly pressed and smell fresh. The wrinkled pillowcases made me think they were used because they weren't that fresh looking or smelling. Front desk people were nice breakfast was just ok, but the food was hot and kept coming. Had a pancake machine that was interesting. The other problem with this hotel is the location. You have to make an illegal u turn into the parking lot of a drycleaner to enter the hotel if you’re coming south. There is no way to turn into the hotel if you’re coming from that direction. I wondered why they don't mention on their website that they had a pool. It's because its outside adjacent to the dunkin donuts drive through/parking lot. Also faces the back of Hooters. If your in the pool the people from dunkin donuts can possibly see you from their window. No privacy at that pool. Also they have no central air only noisy AC units so hard to sleep with all the noise. The workout room was about 80 degrees when I asked if the air was broken they said no it's on never bothering to look into it. Had to leave, as it was too hot. I later figured out that the ac unit was like the one in the rooms so it didn't have enough power to cool down the larger workout room. I don't recommend this hotel it's just ok. Hilton garden inn or Marriott inn and suites are way better. Holiday inn tried to duplicate the lower end Hilton and Marriott but have failed. No way near as good or clean.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
JBeretsky, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
I would like to take the time to address your concerns of our facility. The photographs that have been provided with this review are all pre-renovation pictures with exception of the pool photograph. Our hotel is currently in the process of a two and a half million dollar interior renovation which will change all aspects of each photograph. All guest room carpets are being replaced with new modern looking carpet that have colorful accents. Our housekeeping department has been made aware of the dust concerns in the corners and we are applying a fresh and new color of paint to all baseboards which will showcase a new and clean appearance. All of our guest bathrooms no longer have wallpaper and paint which show concerns of "peeling". Each bathroom now has a new modern wall vinyl applied, all granite countertops and beautiful vessel sinks. We are excited to announce that all new Serta Perfect Sleeper matresses have been added to every guest room which is sure to provide a more than peaceful night of sleep. All of our guest rooms are always prepared for arriving guests with fresh and clean linens and I apologize that your pillow cases seemed wrinkled and "not pressed". When our laundry comes out of the dryer we immediatley have it folded and it waits to be transfered to the guests rooms. I can assure you that your pillow cases were not used or dirty as we stand by our Simply Smart Bedding Collection. I am pleased to hear that you encountered our friendly front desk staff. They go above and beyond to create a wonderful hotel experience. Our daily breakfast buffet is a Holiday Inn Brand Express Start Breakfast. Our pancake machine is fairly new and seems to be very popular with our guests. We offer a wide variety of hot breakfast items such as cheese omlets, scrambled eggs, sausage gravy with biscuts, breakfast meats such as bacon, sausage or ham which is rotated daily to offer extended stay guests a variety. Our breakfast staff works hard to make sure each guest is provided with an adequate amount of hot and delicious food. Our hotel is located on Baltimore Pike (also known as Route 1) which is a busy road that is divided by a median. With that being said, there is a left hand turning lane where you are permitted to make a U-turn to travel North on Route 1 that will then direct you immediately into our parking lot which we share with a restauraunt and longe as well. On our website we have a decription of our hotel details which does include our additional ammenities. In the very last sentence it reads "don't miss what we have onsite like our outdoor pool, game room, restaurant and lounge, fitness center, our free on-site movie theater and Wednesday Manager’s Reception with free wine, beer, appetizers and more, Welcome!" I apologize that you were not made aware of our pool at check in but I do hope you were able to take a swim while you were here with us. Our pool is in a secluded area of the property which faces both the rear of the restaurant and the rear of the hotel. We feel that this is the most appropriate area for this ammentity as it is tucked away from the traffic on the busy roads of Route 1 and Route 202 for added privacy. The individual air conditioning units in our facility are provided instead of central air as an ongoing effort toward our green initiative. We have installed individual occupancy sensored air conditioning units in each guest room and suite. These motion sensors are designed to turn off when guests are not occupying the rooms and turn on when motion is detected which will limit the constant airflow and reduce the amount of electricity being used. Our renovation project is also allowing us to install new units to many of our rooms to ensure the best air flow quality while the rooms are occupied. Our 24 hour fitness center is cooled by 2 working AC units to provide a comfortable workout experience. I have addressed your concerns of high temperatures with our engineers who have since inspected both units and preformed any necessary prevntative maintenance. Once our renovation project is completed we are certain that we will lead our area versus our competition. We would like to welcome you back to our hotel and offer you a complimetary upgrade to one of our newly renovated guest rooms. Please call me directly to make a reservation at 610-358-1700 x2131. Thank you for providing your insight on our hotel. I truly hope you do give us another change and post some "after" pictures in yout next review; I am sure you will be blown away by the many upgrades in store.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Princess Anne, Maryland
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The staff here is fabulous! Yes the hotel is going through a remodel but I have not been disturbed at all. The rooms are always clean and have plenty of space. They do a great job with breakfast. We stay here all the time and have never had any problems! The location is great centrally located for visits to Loongwood Gardens or downtown Philly. Nice workout room and game room. The staff here will go above and beyond to ensure that you have a great stay!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kgar30
JBeretsky, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. Our staff works very hard each day to provide a positive experience for all of our guests. We appreciate it when our staff members are recognized for their hard efforts. We value your business and we are glad to hear that you continuously decide to stay with us as your travel needs bring you to our area. We are excited to announce that we are on track with our renovation project and the next time your travel needs bring you to our area, you will be more than impressed with our newly remodled guests rooms. Again, thank you for your kind words and we look forward to accommodating you again in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Needed a place to stay after spending the day at Longwood Gardens and picked here as hotels in Kennett Square were booked already. Stayed in one of the renovated rooms so everything was in great shape. Express breakfast was typical for hotel breakfast. Plenty of places to eat in close proximity including a Carrabas. We choose to do a quick dinner at Pats Pizza - subs and pizza place in the shopping center next to the hotel. Would stay at it again.

Does have in room AC/fan unit that you can leave running to cover the hallway noise as the walls aren't the thickest.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CamC21
I am delighted that while you were here with us you were able to experience accomomdations in one of our newly renovated guest rooms. All of our hotel guest room renovations are scheduled to be completed by this years end. We are in a great location to visit the local attractions such as Longwood Gardens and we even have packages that include admission tickets to Longwood Gardens as well as many other local attractions and museums. The next time you are planning to come to our area to visit any of our local attractions, please contact me at 610-358-1700 x2131 and I can assist you with the perfect package for your travel needs. We value your business and it would be a pleasure to offer our properties accommodations again to you in the future. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I just arrived today and I have to say than I'm very disappointed with the room. The doors and the carpet are in bad conditions as well as the rest of the furniture. The room was not very well cleaned and there is a horrible humidity smell. Additional we are three people and the beds are really small for sharing.
I wish we could have gotten a new room but I suppose that as this is a prepaid package we are not considered for this upgrade

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
I would like to thank you for reviewing your stay at our hotel. I apologize that you left our facility not feeling completley satisfied with your accommodations. I can assure you that your concerns have been forwarded to our maintenance and housekeeping staff and they have quickly acted upon getting those issues resloved for future guests. Our hotel is currently in the final stages of our multi million dollar interior renovation and we are excited to announce that all guests rooms will be completed by the this years end. I would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel to stay in one of our newly renovated rooms if your travel needs bring you back to our area. You will be more than pleased with our hotels renovations. Feel free to contact me directly at 610-358-1700 x2131 to make your reservation. We value your business and we appreciate your feedback, which helps us to make sure we are offering a truely positive experience.
Leatherstocking Region New York
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Hotel is currently under construction, and why a Priority Club member like myself did not get a refurbished room is puzzling. Mattresses were lumpy and the pillows sucked! Room and decor was very dated. Hopefully room # 319 is on the list to get updated soon. Beds are true doubles and very small for 2 people to share. Toilet had several issues, and I had to jiggle handle, and take top off to adjust numerous times. Refrigerator was not cold even though we set it to max. It should have been turned on by housekeeping in anticipation of our arrival.

Check-in was friendly and efficient. We were offered an upgrade to a Queen suite, but it only had one bed. Not conducive for four people. Room was clean, but immediately noticed that a/c was not working well and a mildew smell as a/c was running. I took off the cover and found the most disgusting hotel a/c that I have ever experienced. I cleaned off the coils as best as I could from the dust on the coils and the wet, black, slim gunk that had built up since its last cleaning, if it had ever been cleaned since installation). I did call up the desk clerk to take the dirty cloths from our room. She apologized when she saw how disgusting it was and said that she would let maintenance know so that it could get cleaned tomorrow. Did not do us a lot of good. I am still waiting to see if we get Legionaires disease from this. A/C did work great after I cleaned unit. In past when we have experienced issues we got more than an apology. Not even an offer for points for my inconvenience.

There was also something wedged on top of the window in our room that looked like an old cigar stuffed in there??? I did not dare touch. Window was not shut completely and was in need of replacement. Back to the construction: workers started drilling at 8:49 AM! We were up already in order to start another day of driving, but imagine if you wanted to sleep in!

One positive was the pool area. It was clean, and deep enough for my oldest to do his running routine in the pool in order to train. Towels were plentiful, and the space was big enough for 30 + people to sit and relax.

Breakfast was standard, and we had no complaints.

I would not recommend this hotel unless you get one of the refurbished rooms. Very disappointed as a PC member. Don't feel that I got my money's worth on this room ($129/night).

Room Tip: Another positive was that 200 seat "movie theater" that is part of this complex. My boys...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your candid review of our facility. As you are aware we are in the beginning process of a multi million dollar full property interior renovation. I apologize that you did not receive one of the renovated rooms however at this point in time we only have about 20 rooms completed. We do try and pre block all of our Prioirty Club members in these new rooms as such Platinum members are placed first then gold and so on. We are scheduled to have the entire facility completely renovated by the beginning of 2013. Should your travels bring you to the area again I would love the opportunity to showcase one of our new rooms to you and even offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our feature suites. As far as your comments about the AC unit not working properly I again apologize and I have passed along your information to our maintenance team so that they can focus on this task when performing preventative maintenance in all of our rooms and suites. I have also noted your complaints about the other issues you mentioned and we will make sure that these issues are corrected so that they do not impact any other guests like they did you and your family. I am certain that once the renovations are complete you will be wowed by the finished product. Thank you again for your kind remarks as well as those we need to work on and I truly hope that you will give us another try once we are finished renovations. Feel free to call me directly at (610) 358 1700 x2131 and I will personally make your reservation for you,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Pros:
room was large, had a fridge, very clean
Front desk was able to provide a free toothbrush in place of a forgotten one (nice perk late at night!).
Common areas were clean & tidy. "lobby" is small (2 small sofas)
Breakfast buffet was bountiful.
Cons:
Entrance into the parking lot can be troublesome because of medians - you'll have to do a U turn most of the time. If you enter on one side you have to drive about through the parking lot of Hooters and Dunkin Donuts.
There is much construction/renovation going on at the property which was not advised. Lots of noise during the day hours, even on weekends. As a result of construction not all services are avail on all floors (basic vending & ice machine).
Lots of groups on site during weekends (2 weddings, US figure skating group, etc). Thus as an individual guest you get second take of whatever rooms are left, etc.
Suggestion:
- we arrived at 1:30 pm on a Saturday. Check in is at 3 pm. We knew we were early, happily did the paperwork and left for another hour +. Observed: parking lot was empty aside from construction vehicles. Front desk clerk was nice and suggested we return in a hour because she "has several weddings coming in and they are all registered for early arrival". No one is there... But I understand it's part of their "group contract". No issue. We were early and second class to the groups... Issue upon departure: I go to check out (8:30 am) and am advised "no need" to do anything or even advise. Simply walk. ISSUE: when you operate this way as the hotelier you have no idea which rooms are really vacant and which you can dispatch housekeeping to ASAP. Thus your "daily room turn" is delayed when it could in fact take place more promptly in line w/ departures.
Overall: average, about 20% overpriced. Would try another hotel next time...

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
JBeretsky, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our facility. We take pride in our housekeeping team and we appreciate you indicating that you found our hotel to be "clean & tidy". We are several months into our renovation project which is much needed and we will now make sure to advise all guests of these renovations at check in. We have signe posted on every floor of the hotel and in the elevator. Our renovation project will have a minimal impact on our guests but we want to make sure everyone is aware. We apologize that you had to wait for a clean room and you couldnt check in early. We do not consider any of our guests as second class to a group and we do not want you to feel that way. We try to accommodate everyone the best we can. We are excited to announce that we have added several new team members to our staff to help at peak check in times. Holiday Inn has a brand standard for express checkout so guests do not have to approach the desk at departure. We will take your advice and instruct our front desk to ask each guest as they leave the building for departure what room they are leaving so we can communicate a vacant room with our housekeeping department. We would appreciate the opportunity to accommodate you again in one of our newly renovated rooms. Please call 610-358-1700 x2131 to make reservations
blue bell pa
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We used this hotel as our recommended site for my daughter's wedding. The staff was very accommodating and helpful throughout the planning process, emailed questions were answered promptly. We heard of no issues with the rooms of family/friends, and the breakfast area was large enough for people to gather in the morning to say final goodbyes. The only complaint I have is that our goodie bags were not given out to nearly a third of our guests! Sunday morning I needed to drag many bags home, even as I tried to give some out at breakfast. (slightly embarrassing!) For those of you who have done this before, you know the expense and time that was spent purchasing, decorating and filling these gifts. Ironically, when we delivered them, we asked just how they know to give them out, and we were assured the guest was 'flagged' in their computer upon arrival. System failed. the manager apologized, but even after 'I'm having a meeting with the front desk staff' etc etc, I was never given a reason why. I assume they do this most every weekend, and it shouldn't have been out of the ordinary. So overall, clean, friendly hotel. But I believe more staffing is needed at the front dest, perhaps at peak times like check in and check out.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Chadds Ford
Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
Residence Inn Philadelphia Glen Mills/Concordville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Chester

Been to Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington? Share your experiences!