“Excellent extended stay accomodations!!”

Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Glen Mills
Fremont, California
“Excellent extended stay accomodations!!”
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed here for 4 weeks and I couldn't have asked for more comfortable accomodations. The staff are excellent and friendly, and if you miss the designated meal times, there are plenty of restaurants nearby to order from. The best part of my entire stay, however, was having Ron the shuttle driver around. He is so sweet, caring and accomodating that you really feel taken care of during your stay. Although you do have to be mindful of sharing him and the shuttle with other guests, he always tried his best to accomodate me into his evening schedule as I had joined the YMCA and liked to get my evening workout in. Even when he would take the group to and from work, he made sure that no one was ever left behind and that if someone had to stay late, they had secured a ride. He would never allow anyone to ever feel stranded somewhere.

Room Tip: The only complaints I heard were on occasion, the garbage/dumpster pickup can be loud and it's a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Suparna S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 November 2011

After a tragic house fire this summer left me, my husband, our two children, and two dogs homeless, we called Staybridge Suites looking for a place to stay. Although technically "sold out" the helpful front desk staff transferred me to Suzanne Sagullo, the Director of Sales and Marketing. After explaining our situation, she suggested I come take a look at the hotel and she would see what she could do. At our meeting she was very apologetic that she could not get our family into a 2 bedroom unit, however, they could accomodate us in adjoining rooms (one studio and one 1-bedroom unit). We were so grateful! That was just the beginning of the exceptional service and caring attention we received.
Like most suite hotels, the rooms are nicely appointed and the hotel offers many amenities like a hot buffet breakfast, sundowner hour several nights a week, a pool, complimentary computer use and internet, workout and laundry facilities. The latter are connected rooms, which was awesome as I could pop a load of wash in and then go do my workout in the morning. Perfect! But what really sets this facility apart is the staff. As mentioned, Suzanne went above and beyond to make sure our family had what we needed. She even stopped by the next day with a basket filled with pool toys for the kids, a bottle of wine and lovely plant for my husband and I and some treats for our dogs! After losing everything, those thoughtful touches really made us feel at home.
Our favorite mornings or sundowner hours were those when Barb worked. She is a true gem of a human being. She got to know our names, the likes and dislikes of the kids and went out of her way to make sure we always had what we needed. She is so hardworking and pleasant and her caring ways made us feel like we were dining in her home, rather than at a hotel. Another example of outstanding service is my son celebrated his 8th birthday while we were there and the staff went above and beyond to make it special with balloons and a cake! It was so amazing and thoughtful and made him feel very special.
Another touch of personal service was that most mornings I was awake before breakfast began to take the dogs for a walk and Pedro, one of the night auditors, always made sure there was fresh coffee and the creamers I preferred out and ready. One morning I went for an early run and it started to POUR rain! I was drenched when I returned and Pedro had put aside a dry towel for me. It was so sweet! (Btw, this is not the best area for runners, but there is an industrial park you can circle through and a good route for longer runs is down Britton Lake road to Mill road to Thornton Road then through the industrial park. Both options have you navigate some steep hills, but it's doable for those who want to avoid the treadmill).
I really cannot stress enough that this is not your typical hotel because it is not staffed by typical people but rather exceptional people. Our only issue was coordinating housekeeping because many of the housekeeping staff were afraid of our dogs. Given the length of our stay, we would have liked to have seen this issue get resolved a bit more pro-actively. This is something to think about if you are traveling with a pet. The grounds are nice for walking a dog(s) and otherwise we found the rest of the staff to be very pet-friendly.
As other reviewers have mentioned, if you don't have transportation and plan to travel beyond the shuttle radius, renting a car will be necessary. This is a bustling surburban area, but public transportation and taxi service is not convenient. The shopping center that is by the hotel offers nice shops, several good restaurants, and an upscale grocery store. It is a simple walk, less than 5 minutes.There is additional shopping (major chains like Target and Home Depot) and restaurants close by, but you have to cross a major highway to get there. You could walk, but might feel like you are in a game of Frogger! For families with kids under 12, Oasis Family Fun Center is only minutes away by car or the shuttle. There is also an AMC movie theatre about 5 minutes away by car/shuttle.
Whether you are in need of a nice, friendly, clean place to stay for a night or a month, I highly recommend this hotel. I would especially think they would be wonderful to work with for groups or those who need an extended stay. Thank you, Staybridge Suites staff for taking such good care of us and making a very trying time in our families life positive! We are forever grateful!

Room Tip: If you have storage needs, they do offer closets you can rent for an additional fee.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Emilie M
Steve N, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Hi Mle519,
We miss you and we hope that you are all doing well! Our entire team was inspired by the strength and resolve that your family demonstrated every day after losing your home. We were all in awe of your positive attitude when most people in your situation would see the world in a different light. You gave us all perspective and we enjoyed being here for your family every day! Thank you for sharing, with the world, your experience with our hotel. More importantly, thank you for inspiring us all with your incredible spirit and great smiles (doggies too!)!
~ Staybridge Suites
USA
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks. The suites are spacious and well furnished. They offer open buffet breakfast daily and afternoon drinks with some food on several days a week. The hotel is right next to a mall and several restaurants within only a 5 minutes walk. The shuttle service is good however the closest Septa station is 20 minute drive away. The gym is basic and small.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We have stayed at this property many times when we visit family in the area. We can always count on a clean room and excellent service. This is an ideal location for families since you have a suite with room to spread out. The kitchenette is convenient as well and they have restaurants in the area that deliver so you don't need to go out.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I was in the area to train for 3 weeks with my new service dog. I was so lucky to find this hotel! The room was mostly ideal for someone in a wheelchair with wide doors and a roll-in shower. The living room area was a little cramped because we had to leave the sofa bed open, and so drawer space was limited.

The full-size fridge, microwave and 2-burner cook top helped us eat in and save money. The evening reception food wasn't much but breakfast was great! Other amenities included a pool, grilling courtyard, FREE guest laundry, fitness room and a dog walking area WITH clean up bags and a bin to put them in.

The staff was super and the extend stay rate is very good. The area has grocery and other shopping nearby as well as fast food and restaurants. Great location! I have to continue training in the fall and have already booked my room!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Anytown, USA
Reviewed 24 August 2011

As a frequent business traveler and a Platinum Priority Club member, I prefer staying in IGH hotels. This Staybridge worked out great while on an engagement in Philly. I traveled in-and-out for about three months and enjoyed the stay. Friendly staff and good service. Given my schedule I wasn’t always able to make it back for the evening sundowner but on days when I did, it was good.

Ps: The reason for not giving a good and not “excellent” rating? Customer service. I was let down by the marketing manager. I had referred a colleague to stay with me for the duration of our engagement and the manager promised me some bonus PC points which never came. No response after repeated emails to them.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
9 Thank M B
Taizhong
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed here for several days worth of meetings at a nearby company. The company arranged the hotel. But I had to arrange shuttles and other logistics for other members who were travelling in for the meeting.

1. The Rooms - clean and spacious, like a small apartment. Ideal for longer stays where you might buy your own groceries. Business travelers will appreciate the desk and the free, no hassle Internet in the room and throughout the hotel.

2. The Staff. The staff were friendly and helpful. There were, however, times where the front desk was not staffed or when phones were not promptly answered. It feel a little understaffed.

3. The location. I know that this is subjective, but for business travelers flying in from out of state, it is important to realize that this is well outside of Philadelphia and like most of the United States is not very convenient without renting a car. They have shuttles that give free transportation to areas in a 5 mile radius, which is great, but it is first come first served. More on this later in this review. There are no taxi cab companies located in the area, so if you have to call a cab, it will have to drive in from another area, which will run up the cost and require pre-planning. Don't expect to get a cab at the last minute.

The good news is that there is a shopping center nearby with restaurants within walking distance. But if you are meeting for business, there are no appropriate restaurants in easy walking distance. As there is no restaurant in the hotel itself, this further detracts from its convenience for business travelers.

4. Food

The free breakfast was better than expected and is a nice perk. It is very convenient and the food is plentiful and fresh. There are no restaurants in the hotel so you you'll have to eat outside of the hotel, have food delivered in, or cook your own lunches and dinners.

5. Transportation

This was the one disappointment for me. Since this is a hotel that caters to groups visiting the local businesses for training, meetings, etc. they do offer a free shuttle that take you to many of those businesses. Even better it will take you to local restaurants and other locations. This is great! HOWEVER, it is first come first served. When I was planning for the meeting I made several calls to the hotel and on more than one occasion asked about the shuttle. I was simply told to make a reservation when I checked in and was NOT allowed to reserve shuttle use over the telephone. At no time was I told that there was only one shuttle.

When I checked in after a very long international flight and tried to reserve the shuttle for my group for the next couple of days, I was told that the shuttle was completely booked for the week for the times I needed because another group already booked it. So I had to spend my evening making expensive reservations with cab companies and updating my team members of the change in plans.

Eventually, I was able to make some scheduling changes and the shuttle operator was very accommodating as was able to work it out so that we were able to leave a bit, but not much, earlier than we originally planned. But as nice as it is to have the free shuttle and as helpful as the operator was, the hotel really should allow customers to reserve the shuttle in advance. It is very difficult to plan business functions without knowing until the last minute that local ground transportation will be available.

I highly recommend that business groups arrange their own transportation, either by rending a van or with a cab company rather than relying on the hotel's shuttle. Local businesses certainly should not count on the shuttle selecting this hotel for their business functions. That is certainly the feedback I gave the company I was meeting with.

If they handled shuttle reservations in a more business-friendly manner, I would have given this hotel five stars.

Room Tip: I only stayed here once, but I can't see how one room is really better than another. It is not a...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Brandywine River Hotel
Brandywine River Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chadds Ford
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Chester

Been to Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley? Share your experiences!