My husband and I stayed here the night after Thanksgiving (November 23) as we were attending a wedding in the area and this was the hotel that the bride and groom had secured special rates with.
I made a reservation online on April 30th - 7 months ahead of time. I made the reservation for two nights. As the weekend approached, our Thanksgiving plans had us staying at home in Virginia instead of traveling to Pennsylvania, so I attempted to change my reservation online by cancelling one night. There was some sort of glitch with the reservation system however, because I kept getting error messages. I called the hotel directly on November 9th and spoke with Chris. I cancelled one night and asked if I needed a new confirmation number. I was assured I did not.
On November 19th, four days before we were due to arrive, I received a confirmation reminder via e-mail. It had my dates listed incorrectly as the original two nights I had booked online. I still took Chris's word that my reservation had been changed.
We arrived at 3:30pm on check-in day. I gave my last name to the front desk clerk and she said there was no reservation under my name. I pulled up the confirmation e-mail on my phone and when she punched in the confirmation number she found the reservation, but said it had been automatically cancelled by the internal system. This was quite disconcerting as we had driven 3 hours on a holiday weekend for the wedding of one of my best friends AND we had made the reservation 7 months ahead of time. Having worked at several hotels in my earlier career, I can assume what happened was that the reservation was never actually changed when I called and talked to Chris. The online system still showed me arriving on November 22, and when I didn't, I should have been charged for that night anyway. Now, having made the reservation 7 months prior, the credit card I used for the reservation had expired and I had a new one. Because the online system couldn't charge a credit card, it cancelled the reservation.
The front desk clerks could tell that I did indeed reserve under the wedding party rate and said, "Well, you're lucky that we happen to have a few rooms available because often we are booked." What if there hadn't been rooms available??? Would I have been kicked to the curb because Chris failed to properly cancel one night of my reservation or because the online reservation system wouldn't allow me to change the reservation myself?
The room itself was nice. I don't believe I had ever stayed at a Staybridge Suites before, but it was comparable to other chain suites (Towneplace, Fairfield). I liked the way the room was set up. The TV swiveled so that you could watch it from the sofa or from the bed. The kitchen was a good size (we only used the refrigerator and sink as we were only in the room for one night). The bed and pillows were really comfortable. I liked that the sink / mirror was outside of the bathroom so that one didn't have to wait for the other to finish in the bathroom to use the vanity. Our room on the 2nd floor over the front entrance / lobby, but I never heard and parking lot noise. We did hear kids running up and down the hall and could faintly hear a baby crying from another room, so the interior insulation isn't the best, but it wasn't anything that kept us awake.
I don't know if it was coincidence or if this hotel is practicing new green standards, but it seemed that the heat/air would come on as soon as we entered the room each time. The bad thing about the heating system was that there was some sort of air freshener that was constantly being pumped into the room. It smelled so strong that we could actually taste it and after a while it made me nauseous. Unfortunately there was no way to air out the room. Air freshener smell is better than a bad smell, but it was REALLY strong.
Our friends had arranged it so that the hotel shuttle would take groups of us to the wedding site which worked out great for us.
I liked that the breakfast spread was out until 10:30am. I've stayed at many hotels where breakfast ends at 9am or 9:30am on weekends and I really don't like setting an alarm to get up and eat breakfast. There were a few hot items - french toast sticks, fried eggs and sausage - as well as a waffle maker. There was also a little European flair as there were cold meats and cheeses. And of course there were hot and cold cereals, breads, muffins, juice and soda.
Our friends that were getting married had booked a suite and a large group of us hung out in there for a couple hours after the wedding. It was nice, but not really a romantic suite. There was a big conference table in the main room with 6 or 8 chairs, and the bedroom had two queen beds rather than a king bed.
All in all, our stay was good. I thought the discounted rate of $115 per night was still a little pricey for the area, but I didn't comparison shop this time around because I wanted to stay in the same hotel as the rest of the wedding group.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wilmington - Brandywine Valley Hotel Offers Cozy Extended Stay Accommodations Take a video tour of this hotel! Get comfortable at the Staybridge Suites Extended Stay Hotel in Wilmington - Brandywine Valley. The Staybridge Suites Hotel is centrally located on Route 1 at the Shoppes at Brinton Lake which offer a variety of shopping & dining options. We are minutes from Routes 202, 322 & I-95, a short drive to Wilmington, West Chester, Kennett Square, Philadelphia and the Philadelphia International Airport (PHL). Our Brandywine Valley hotel's location offers access to Southco, Deloitte, SAP, Astra Zeneca, Exelon & Endo Pharmaceuticals. We are minutes from Widener & West Chester Universities, Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, the historic Brandywine Valley, Valley Forge & King of Prussia, PA. The Staybridge Suites Hotel offers apartment-style suites with the conveniences of home to suit your extended stay or short-term hotel needs. Our pet friendly hotel (fee) offers studio, one- and two-bedroom / two-bathroom suites with fully equipped kitchens, spacious living and work areas, TV w/ HBO, free high-speed, wired & wireless Internet access and direct dial phones with personalized voice mail. Other features include 24-hour business center, a free laundry facility and a fitness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, IHG, Ebookers, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley Hotel Glen Mills
- Staybridge Suites Glen Mills