“Clean & Current”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Glen Mills
Vienna, Virginia
“Clean & Current”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

My husband and I stayed here the night after Thanksgiving (November 23) as we were attending a wedding in the area and this was the hotel that the bride and groom had secured special rates with.

I made a reservation online on April 30th - 7 months ahead of time. I made the reservation for two nights. As the weekend approached, our Thanksgiving plans had us staying at home in Virginia instead of traveling to Pennsylvania, so I attempted to change my reservation online by cancelling one night. There was some sort of glitch with the reservation system however, because I kept getting error messages. I called the hotel directly on November 9th and spoke with Chris. I cancelled one night and asked if I needed a new confirmation number. I was assured I did not.

On November 19th, four days before we were due to arrive, I received a confirmation reminder via e-mail. It had my dates listed incorrectly as the original two nights I had booked online. I still took Chris's word that my reservation had been changed.

We arrived at 3:30pm on check-in day. I gave my last name to the front desk clerk and she said there was no reservation under my name. I pulled up the confirmation e-mail on my phone and when she punched in the confirmation number she found the reservation, but said it had been automatically cancelled by the internal system. This was quite disconcerting as we had driven 3 hours on a holiday weekend for the wedding of one of my best friends AND we had made the reservation 7 months ahead of time. Having worked at several hotels in my earlier career, I can assume what happened was that the reservation was never actually changed when I called and talked to Chris. The online system still showed me arriving on November 22, and when I didn't, I should have been charged for that night anyway. Now, having made the reservation 7 months prior, the credit card I used for the reservation had expired and I had a new one. Because the online system couldn't charge a credit card, it cancelled the reservation.

The front desk clerks could tell that I did indeed reserve under the wedding party rate and said, "Well, you're lucky that we happen to have a few rooms available because often we are booked." What if there hadn't been rooms available??? Would I have been kicked to the curb because Chris failed to properly cancel one night of my reservation or because the online reservation system wouldn't allow me to change the reservation myself?

The room itself was nice. I don't believe I had ever stayed at a Staybridge Suites before, but it was comparable to other chain suites (Towneplace, Fairfield). I liked the way the room was set up. The TV swiveled so that you could watch it from the sofa or from the bed. The kitchen was a good size (we only used the refrigerator and sink as we were only in the room for one night). The bed and pillows were really comfortable. I liked that the sink / mirror was outside of the bathroom so that one didn't have to wait for the other to finish in the bathroom to use the vanity. Our room on the 2nd floor over the front entrance / lobby, but I never heard and parking lot noise. We did hear kids running up and down the hall and could faintly hear a baby crying from another room, so the interior insulation isn't the best, but it wasn't anything that kept us awake.

I don't know if it was coincidence or if this hotel is practicing new green standards, but it seemed that the heat/air would come on as soon as we entered the room each time. The bad thing about the heating system was that there was some sort of air freshener that was constantly being pumped into the room. It smelled so strong that we could actually taste it and after a while it made me nauseous. Unfortunately there was no way to air out the room. Air freshener smell is better than a bad smell, but it was REALLY strong.

Our friends had arranged it so that the hotel shuttle would take groups of us to the wedding site which worked out great for us.

I liked that the breakfast spread was out until 10:30am. I've stayed at many hotels where breakfast ends at 9am or 9:30am on weekends and I really don't like setting an alarm to get up and eat breakfast. There were a few hot items - french toast sticks, fried eggs and sausage - as well as a waffle maker. There was also a little European flair as there were cold meats and cheeses. And of course there were hot and cold cereals, breads, muffins, juice and soda.

Our friends that were getting married had booked a suite and a large group of us hung out in there for a couple hours after the wedding. It was nice, but not really a romantic suite. There was a big conference table in the main room with 6 or 8 chairs, and the bedroom had two queen beds rather than a king bed.

All in all, our stay was good. I thought the discounted rate of $115 per night was still a little pricey for the area, but I didn't comparison shop this time around because I wanted to stay in the same hotel as the rest of the wedding group.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Steve N, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Hi TVChick16,

Thank you for such a great and honest review! We all really appreciate a lot of feedback as it always helps us improve. I’m sorry to hear that you had an issue with your reservation, but I’m happy to hear that everything worked out and you enjoyed your stay. We hope that if you are ever in the area again that you choose the Staybridge! We hope to see you soon!

Steve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Hinesville, Georgia
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I was surprised at how chilly it was when I arrived, but when I opened the door to the Staybridge there was a lovely fireplace blazing - it was so welcoming and beautiful - I could have slept right there in the lobby!
My check-in was quick and easy, my room was clean and absolutely beautiful - I felt so pampered. The breakfast in the morning was fabulous - the selection was full of variety and loved being able to use china instead of paper or foam. To top it off they offered a small discount to those of us visiting family at the retirement village down the street.
I will stay here every time I go to Glen Mills!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jan D
Steve N, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Hi Jan D,

Wow what a great review! My team is so happy to hear that you found our hotel to be so welcoming and beautiful! We all enjoyed having you with us and we hope that the next time you visit your family you choose to stay with us again!
Belle Mead, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I've been staying here 3 nights a week since Febuary and cannot think of a better place in the area to stay. The hotel is on a quiet street off Route 1 (the car traffic has increased since Costco set up shop next door 2 weeks ago) and the rooms are large with a fully equipped with kitchenette. However, it is the super friendly staff that make this place a standout. Jess, Chris, Zach, Barb and the entire staff make you feel welcome from the moment you check-in. Breakfast is always set up on time, and the evening social is always buzzing. Though I am not exactly a pet lover, it is always quiet here despite a dog or two in a few rooms. I definitely feel like it is a home away fom home.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Hi Doctortraveler,

I am thrilled to hear that our hotel is a “Home away from Home” for you when you travel. The entire team here really appreciates that you took the time to write such a glowing review of the hotel and the great service they provide every day. Jess, Chris, Zach and Barb all thank you for your kind words! We enjoy having you at the hotel each week and look forward to seeing you again!
West Chester Pa
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I stayed two nights Due to the Hurricane. I can not stay how much I enjoyed my stay. The staff were wonderful from the Dream Team of Chris and Zach to Barb and Katie in the kitchen. This hotel made you feel like you were on vacation and not there due to being affected by the storm. A++ goes to everyone that works here and I will be back. There is alot of shops and they were putting in a Costco right next store (it opened November 10th). They dont have a restaurant in the hotel but there is Room survice from an Italian place and alot of others that deliver or are walking distance. They also have a FREE happy hour with Light appitizers Free BEER and Wine every Tuesday- Thursday from 5:30 to 7:30.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Hi John R,

Thank you for the great review about our hotel and the great team that works here! We know the storm was difficult for a lot of people in our area, so we are all happy to hear that you had a great stay riding it out at our hotel! Chris, Zach, Katie and Barb all thank you for your kind words about the great hospitality they provided. We really enjoyed having you with us and we look forward to seeing you again!
PA
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Recently, I and 6 other family members (including my 89 year old mom) had to check into this hotel due to hurricane sandy. From the minute we arrived to the minute we checked out the front desk staff could not have been nicer and more accommodating. Ryan and Chris at the front desk went out of their way to find us rooms that met our requests. I can't say enough about these guys, especially because it was a crazy time with everyone looking for rooms and the phone ringing non stop. They were so nice and upbeat and trying to help everyone. They made a very stressful time much more bearable. The hotel was welcoming, clean, great breakfast and an all around great experience. I would definitely stay here again.

Hi PaJillpill,

Thank you for the great review! We enjoyed having you and your family during the storm. We realize that this was a very difficult time for many people in our region so we are all happy to hear that you had a great experience at our hotel! Ryan and Chris are certainly two of the best in the business and they thank you for the mention! We hope that you and your whole family are doing well and we look forward to seeing you again!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I have stayed at a lot of Hotels, but this is the first time at the Staybridge Brand. I was pleasantly surprised at the condition and quality of the room we got for the price. It was large and in good shape. The only drawback was that the breakfast was average or below. Although it is very close to many food options. For the area this hotel is located in, I felt I got a very good value and would definitely stay there again.

Hi wjs777,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review of our hotel! I’m happy to hear that you found the hotel to be in excellent condition and a great value for your needs! Although I’m disappointed to hear that you did not find the breakfast to be up to standard. The next time you are in the area we hope that you will choose to stay with us again!
Avondale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days while having floors refinished in our home. We have two dogs and were so worried about where we would go as we didn't want to board the dog. A quick search on the internet led me to this dog friendly hotel. We both travel for work and have stayed at many expensive hotels throughout the world. This is a GREAT hotel. It's clean, smells good, is extremely quiet, has lots of amenities, and has a friendly, accommodating staff. I find it hard to believe that others had anything to complain about.

The breakfast buffet has something for everyone: yogurt, fresh fruit, cheese, eggs, meats, cereal, breads, juices, milk, coffee, teas, fresh waffle maker. And the evening happy hour and snacks are just perfect: beer and wine, different snacks each night, including salads. If I ever need to stay in a hotel again, I will be sure to return here.

There is free wi-fi and the speed was excellent. I was able to dial into my company's vpn and worked throughout the day uploading and downloading extensive files without any issues. The rooms are pleasant and the size is adequate. We had a 1 bedroom suite for 2 people, 2 dogs, 4 laptops, large monitor, & 2 ipads. HDTV with nice picture and great selection of shows.

As others have said, the location is great with lots of shopping and a variety of restaurants. We live about 30 minutes from here in a sleepy town with not too much shopping...so this was fun for me.

My only suggestion for improvement is to locate the smoking area away from the front door; maybe somewhere in the back or side of the building.

Room Tip: All of the rooms appear to be quiet. Too quiet! I put the TV on for some white noise. We had a 1 b...