“So Peaceful and Relaxing”

Osceola Mill House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Gordonville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Great place for a relaxing weekend. I went one random weekend with my husband in September 2010, and here I am over a year later reviewing because I remember it so well. The hosts, Ron and Pat, were great. We happened to be there on a weekend when there we not many people staying and the one morning when it was just the two of us we had a special breakfast that they can only serve a very few people. I don't remember what they called it, but I do remember it was amazingly good!

There are not many other houses around, and it was very calming to sit in our room and listen to the buggys going by in the morning. I highly recommend this B&B.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Specs1624

Reviewed 6 September 2011

My fiancee, future in-laws, and I all stayed at this B&B for one night during Labor Day weekend. We made the plans pretty last minute (3-4 days), so we didn't have the time to energy to do as much researching as we usually do, and so we weren't expecting much out of the accommodations. Our expectations were beyond exceeded when we arrived at the B&B.

We had already spent the first half of the day exploring Lancaster County, and of course, stumbled upon the more touristy and contrived parts of the area. When our GPS took us to Osceola Mill, we were so pleased to finally have seen something more "real" - an old historic stone house on a winding side road with lots of Amish farms. It was so tranquil and quiet.

Then we pulled into the driveway and were greeted by a handful of beautiful kittens! They were so friendly, and I really wanted to take one home (and you can if you want to). Inside, the house was even more beautiful, with the earthy and quaint gathering room and living room, filled with old relics of Ron and Pat (the innkeepers) as well as books about the Amish and Mennonites. They were both so incredibly friendly and resourceful and genuinely care about making the most out of your stay in Lancaster County.

My fiancee and I stayed in the Green Room, while the in-laws stayed in the Corn Crib. We shared a bathroom which was out in the hall, and the set up worked great for us. Both rooms were incredibly clean, thoughtfully decorated, and had the most gorgeous quilt covers (which you can buy if you really love!). The rooms I think are the only ones without their own bathrooms, but for our situation, ended up being great value. The B&B was full when we stayed, so we didn't see any of the other rooms, but I'm sure they are just as gorgeous (if not even more so) than the ones we stayed in.

The next day, the breakfast was like a big family table. We were served a vegetable egg bake, homemade scones, and fresh peaches. For dessert, there was also a delicious pumpkin roll from a local Amish bakery. We were stuffed and well fueled for the round of golf we played right after!

It was almost sad to leave the B&B, because even though it was only one night, we felt that we had made great friends with Ron & Pat, who just might be the cutest couple on the planet as well as two of the nicest people we have ever met. I would highly recommend this B&B as the top place to stay in Amish Country...you won't regret it, and it will make your stay extra special.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mpc245
Reviewed 7 August 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at Osceola Mill for a quick weekend away from the city. The hosts were exceptionally warm and hospitable, and the breakfast was filling and delicious (they also provided a third dessert course, which was a pleasant surprise). Ron and Pat had a lot of great stories, and had great advice for what to do/see. We stayed in the Fireside room, and really enjoyed it. The room was clean, and had it's own industrial strength air conditioner that kept it nice and cool. If you're planning on staying during the winter time, there's a beautiful fireplace in the room. And, a really fantastic claw foot bathtub (unique to our room I think) in the bathroom. We didn't use the TV once, but there is one in the room.

One thing that really set this B and B apart from others we saw around Lancaster was the location. It's really far removed from the towns and tourist traps, and you're surrounded by pristine farmland. The whole time we were there, we could probably count the number of cars that I noticed going by on two hands; Amish buggies were much more frequent travelers... We often heard them clip-clopping by from our room. It was a great opportunity to enjoy the sights and sounds of the country, especially at night: there was almost zero light pollution: no street lights, and all the houses surrounding the property for many blocks are Amish and produce minimal artificial light. We did see some fabulous fireflies at night too!

Our hosts arranged for us to have dinner with a local Amish dairy farming family at their home. A few other couples from other B and B's arrived as well: they all had to drive, we only had to walk a few blocks to get to her farm house. It was an unforgettable experience. We ate one of the most amazing dinners I've ever had and learned first hand about Amish life. I bought a cookbook from our hostess containing all of her family recipes! After dinner, the girls of the family sang for us in three-part harmony. It was very moving and beautiful!

In short, the reason I picked this place was because on google maps satellite view, it looked the farthest out in the farmland and removed from the city . . . it did not disappoint. My husband and I had a great time just walking from the property through the Amish farming neighborhoods, seeing the farm animals and folks going about their evening.

There are also a number of kittens that populate the area that were abandoned by others and quasi-adopted (although they are not allowed in the house itself, so no need to worry about allergens). One or two would often come jump on our laps on the outside porch seat; the hosts will allow you to take one home if you want (they get them fixed the Humane Society), and you'll be sorely tempted if you like kittens (and who doesn't?).

I would recommend this to B and B to anyone. I guess if you wanted to be close to the city lights it might not be the place for you, but then I don't know why you'd vacation in Lancaster County anyway. We'll definitely be back someday.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaymanSings
Reviewed 27 May 2009

I stayed for two relaxing nights, despite weeklong rain. Ron & Pat were perfect hosts. The breakfasts were a welcome treat, including yogurt and home canned preserves. I was looking for Amish leather shops for my business, and Ron was most helpful in finding them, as well as dinner. When my Jeep's engine light came on, he recommended a dealer to go to. All in all a pleasant stay. My only regret is that I didn't go on a weekend. If I had, Ron could have arranged dinner at an Amish home. I'd gladly stay there again.
Karen Boston, MA

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank lederuntpferds
Reviewed 4 October 2008

The Osceola Mill House Bed and Breakfast is located in the heart of Amish country, a few minutes from the townships of Intercourse, Strasburg and Paradise. The house is about 250 years old and has been lovingly and lavishly decorated by hosts Pat and Ron, with each room individually themed and every consideration given to the needs of their guests. From the Mill house windows can be seen rolling green fields dotted with houses, barns and silos. Our bedroom window overlooked a quaint little stone bridge and the original mill. Throughout the day Amish buggies rumbled past the house and across the bridge. The gourmet breakfasts were spectacular. Courses were creatively and deliciously prepared, with dessert for breakfast a feature of the morning!
Pat and Ron are generous and involved community members, having close ties with their Amish neighbours. They were happy to share their knowledge of the area and its cottage industries, which helped us to feel a part of the community although we were only there for three days. The warmth and hospitality of Pat and Ron and their very special accommodation was a highlight of our visit to the United States. We recommend it most highly.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2sightseers
Reviewed 26 July 2008

This was our second stay at this b&b, and both stays were excellent. On our first visit we stayed in the carriage house, and this time we stayed in the main house. The carriage house and all the rooms in the main house are beautiful. After our first stay, Pat went out of her way to show us all the rooms in the main house when we said we would be back. Both her and Ron are two of the nicest people you could meet, and Ron goes out of his way to make sure you have a good experience in Lancaster County from arranging dinners with Amish families to introducing you to his neighbors to just offering recommendations for the area. The breakfasts are always different and always delicious. The atmosphere of being surrounded by working Amish farms can't be beat. Just beware you might leave with a cat if you're not careful.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crsdmale
Reviewed 26 May 2008

This B and B is in a perfect location to explore the flavor of the PA-Dutch area with our favorite towns of Intercourse, Paradise, Bird-in-Hand, and Ronks nearby! This beautiful b and b provided us with a tranquil spot away from the busy roadways....The house was nestled between lush, rolling farmland and was like a refreshing drink for the eyes as you looked out your bedroom window. We got in late the first day (darn NY traffic!) but Ron and Pat (friendly innkeepers) were still up at 10:30 pm to greet us! Ron also did a great job cooking breakfast for us each day. We immediately loved the decor and beauty of the inn inside and out. The rooms were SPOTLESS...and the layout of the rooms were great. The young couples took the two secluded rooms on the 3rd floor (fireside and burgundy---these were a bit larger) and mom and younger sister took the rose room on the 2nd floor (complete with a sofa too). All our rooms had private baths! All extremely tidy with the fireside having a beautiful old fashioned tub. I can only issue one minor complaint....the shower pressure in our room (burgundy) was poor and at times, nonexistent. However, this was minor and could be easily repaired/ dealt with. None of our party stayed in the carriage house, but it looked great for a young family...being set off from the main house.
We loved the 24/7 snack bar complete with homemade whoopie pies and cookies, tea, coffee, and hot/cold water cooler available to guests. This was just a small example of the hospitality to be expected at this establishment. Ron and Pat will fill you in on the history of the area as well as give you tips on where to find the best treasures of the "back roads." We bought some beautiful homemade rugs after his recommendation.
As we drove away, we all (all 6 of us!) agreed that we'd definitely come back :o)

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank deeizhere
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gordonville
Brownstone Colonial Inn
#1 of 5 in Gordonville
Motel 6 Gordonville
Motel 6 Gordonville
#1 of 1 in Gordonville

Been to Osceola Mill House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!