“After Eight is a nice romantic getaway!”

After Eight Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Gordonville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed at the After Eight for three nights in the Balcony room. It was very private sitting out on the balcony drinking coffee and not to mention a beautiful view of the garden, and an Amish farm. Robert was a great host and went out of his way to make us feel at home and to inform us of all the local attractions and restaurants. We would definitely recommend the After Eight for any couples wanting to get away for a relaxing romantic time!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 June 2012

As long-term B & B travelers (75+), we understand the importance of the innkeeper to the overall experience. All I can say is that we must have caught Robert on a bad day. We were only staying one night during Memorial Day weekend (on the way home after a 15 day trip), and although he appeared to have a good relationship with other longer term guests, he made very little effort to be friendly to us. We got off to a bad start when we checked in. He came over from the adjacent house where he lived, walked up, didn't say hello, didn't introduce himself and proceeded in to get our payment squared away---perhaps the unfriendliest greeting we've ever had in a B & B. I had booked the room 2-3 weeks before and didn't remember his name, so I asked him his name and his response was "it was in the e-mail I sent you". What kind of response was that??? He did give us a good tour of the house, but in general, for the entire time we were there we felt a coldness from Robert. We went out of our way to be friendly, but with little reciprocation. Robert has a rather laconic personality, and perhaps we misread this to be that he didn't care for us. My wife even bought one of his cookbooks without even a thank you from him. He gave us a restaurant recommendation (Thai place), but when we got there we found it to be gone. I realize that the inn was full on this busy weekend and he may have been tired, but there's no excuse for being downright unfriendly.

The good news is that the house is very nice, our Sunrise Bay Window Room was large and had all the amenities you would expect in a luxury B & B, and for a very reasonable price. There's a nice porch and our room faced out on a pretty Amish farm. Parking is plentiful. The house is located on a major highway, and you do get some truck noise at night, but this was not a big issue. The breakfast was fine, not outstanding but no complaints.

Based on other reviews, Robert seems to do a good job with his guests, so maybe our experience was just very unusual. But we always seem to get along fine with B & B innkeepers, and just couldn't figure out what happened here. I started to ask him what the problem was as we left in the morning (without even a parting good-bye from him), but figured that it just wasn't worth it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lchjr
After8bnb, Owner at After Eight Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

This is quite an interesting review from these guests. I am very sorry that they did not feel a warm welcome, but most people do understand and enjoy my wry sense of humor, apparently these guests did not. I tried to give them suggestions on places to go and see, but they were there for only one night and expressed they really did not intend to stay the next day, that they were just passing through. When I tried to give them suggestions on restaurants, their first statement was, they were on the 12th day of a 14 day vacation and they had already experienced ‘world class’ restaurants. They were sure that Lancaster could not compare to anywhere they had already been in their travels, but maybe there was a decent restaurant that I could recommend. After making their statement, I was insulted, yet continued to ask them what sort of food that they enjoyed, mentioning several different cuisines, from buffets and home cooking to steak and seafood restaurants. It was Sunday evening and many restaurants are closed, but when I mentioned Thai food they said that would be fine. I gave them a map with the location. They never told me that the restaurant was closed. The shopping center is being remodeled and unfortunately I was not aware the restaurant was no longer in business. I tell all my guests to call me if they have any questions, and they should have called to ask for an alternate suggestion.

I am sorry for their perception on my personality, I try to treat all my guests with the same relaxed attitude and pleasant nature, which can be revealed from all my other reviews. I am sorry they had such a bad experience, but this is not an area to stay just one night, there is far too much to see and do and enjoy, including our food.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

My husband and I stay at After Eight (usually 3 nights) every year when we go to Sight & Sound. We simply LOVE it! The rooms are nice, quiet, cozy and comfortable. The food is always great and Robert is the best Innkeeper ever! ;-) It would be nice if there were a few King size beds, but we love it so much, we stay anyway! Keep up the good work, Robert! See you next year.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the Inn are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robyn C
Reviewed 5 June 2012

A big Thumbs up to After Eight. We loved everything about it and plan to stay their again when in the Lancaster area. One thing to keep in mind...it is on a main road and if you're a light sleeper ask for a room towards the back of the house. Everything else about it was Fantastic...Comfortable, Clean Rooms, Tasty Breakfast, Peaceful Gardens, Beautifully Decorated with an "At Home Feel." You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brenda H
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This was the first time my husband and I stayed at a bed & breakfast and it was a wonderful experience. We stayed in the porch room which was nice because it has it's own private exit. The window in the porch room looks out on a beautiful garden. Robert is a wonderful host. We were so pleased that before we left we made a reservation to come again and bring our family. I highly recommend After Eight Bed & Breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Just a lovely, cozy, a relaxed bed & breakfast. Went there with three of my friends to see a play and do some shopping. We stayed in the east cottage, felt as though we were at our home away from home. It was roomy, clean and very comfortable. I so enjoyed the beautiful gardens, and the tranquil atmosphere. Robert, the inn keeper was most personable and entertaining, also a great cook. The breakfast he served us was a lovely and absolutely delicious. I have already reccomended it to one of my co workers who makes it a family tradition to go christmas shopping in Lancaster. Hope to return one day soon.

Room Tip: East cottage was awesome, roomy and very economical if you plan on going away with a group I highly...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Our second stay was as enchanting as the first. This time we stayed in the Sunrise Bay Window Room. We had a beautiful view of the gazebo, garden and the Amish field being worked by the neighboring farmer (horses and all). The first was the Balcony Room with the same views that we enjoyed on our own private balcony. The breakfast is something you have to experience. Not just the fine food as I'm sure is mentioned in most reviews but also the entertainment Robert supplies with this delicious meal. Robert is also a host that knows all the right places to go no matter what your interests are. He is a truely enchanting personality. Relaxing, spotless and decorated with fine taste are words that come to mind in describing After Eight. My wife and I will be returning later this year as we do not hesitate to visit After Eight again and again. Pam & Kevin - Monson, Ma.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gordonville
2 mi away
Osceola Mill House Bed and Breakfast
Greystone Manor
Greystone Manor
#4 of 4 in Bird in Hand

Been to After Eight Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!