“Yucky mucky carpets and walls that need to be painted.”
Review of MainStay Suites

MainStay Suites
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Grantville
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Booked this hotel at the last minute on our way through Pennsylvania. The price wasn’t bad for a hotel in the Hershey area and the description on Trip Advisor says “We are brand new…” . I would like to know when the description was written.
I knew we were doomed getting into the elevator; there was muck all around the perimeter of the carpet and a giant industrial throw rug in the middle that needed to be cleaned. The halls had the same muck running down the sides. We had a handicapped room, the bathroom was very poorly designed. There was no place to put anything. There was less than 1/8 of a roll toilet paper on each of the rolls. The A/C didn’t work properly. The wall next to the bed was very filthy and marked up where the maids rub against it making the beds. The whole hotel needs a good scrubbing and a coat of paint. The breakfast was very basic, and ended at 9 am, which is early for people on vacation. I will give them credit for opening a conference room to accommodate all the people. Staff was indifferent at best. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank nowzer
GMPA547, General Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

I am sorry your visit with us was not as anticipated. W e are child friendly Hotel and are constantly followin the kids around. I also see you made your reservation on line at a government rate. I also noticed you made the reservation for a handicapped room.
Did you approach the front desk for any help?
Again I do apologize.

There are newer reviews for MainStay Suites

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights while visiting the Hershey, PA area with family. The hotel is approximately 6 miles from downtown Hershey. We found the commute to Hershey Park and downtown was very easy. There are a couple of nice restaurants near the hotel if you don't feel like traveling into Hershey. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and actually considered it one of the better stays during our two week road trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ked4300
GMPA547, General Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Our family of five stayed over for only one night and chose this place because it was relatively close to Hershey Park and their very reasonable rate. Two Queen beds and a pull out Queen was perfect for us. Room was clean. Kids LOVED the water slide and pool. (No lifeguard is stationed there so parents must be vigilant.) Minigolf, video arcade and half court was also a source of fun for the family. Staff at the front desk was fantastic! My son has food allergies so I had to inquire about the breakfast ingredients. The gentleman at the front desk went out of his way to look at the side panels of several boxes to make sure my son could eat something at the breakfast buffet. The reviews I read about this place ranged from dismal to glowing so I didn't know what to expect. To my surprise, it was a very comfortable, clean hotel with extra touches to make it stand out from the other establishments within their price range and even the higher priced ones!

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Chloe L
GMPA547, General Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

We thank you for your comments. Hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here for the Fourth of July so we could attend Hershey Park. When we arrived I noticed the coffee pot was still dirty from the previous guest, and there was a piece of trash stuck to the underside of our comforter. When I took my daughter to the pool, the restroom was out of toilet paper, and I had to ask for some at the desk.
The next morning I went down to the common area for the "hot breakfast" and found stale luke warm eggs. They had run out of sausage, waffles, donuts and bagels. Then I realized they had run out of silverware! When I asked if they were going to re-stock the buffet, the man at the desk told me their 7am shipment was late, and they didn't have any food left. He didn't even apologize.
I think it shows poor management to rely on that days shipment for your guests. The staff was consistently indifferent, the room wasn't clean, and the breakfast was a disappointment. Don't stay here unless all you care about is the pool.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Garvey1983
GMPA547, Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

I am sorry for the food being late. W e get deliveries twic a week Monday and friday.and due to the holiday , the delivery was late. Our pool is checked daily by the maintenance guy. I do apologize.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is an extremely popular hotel. They do a great business as observed firsthand this summer. I had a very hard time booking rooms here- it was that popular. That being said I found the hotel overpriced and overrated. There are no upgrades/discounts for people who spend longer periods of here for business other than being given a Hershey bar. A few of the guys at the front desk were pleasant and tried to be helpful. However, the rooms are fairly dirty, the pillows small, and the AC fluctuates depending on which room you are in. Lamps/lights can be missing from a room. One room I was in had no toilet cover and yes, I did accidentally drop stuff into it! The rooms are not cleaned thoroughly as they are packing in new guests one after the other here - there is no time to get the cleaning done. I only saw one bug so in that respect it was not bad. The kitchen is a plus - dishwasher and stove top worked great for me in all of the rooms I stayed in. However, there is no nearby grocery store to pick up food items. There are a lot of families that come here but I found some of the people to be "strange" for lack of a better word. Some had more of a seedy look to them - but then again the casino is nearby too. I would not stay here again unless I had to. The "great prices" has to be more in the off season.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank honestreviews83
GMPA547, General Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

I am confused that you entitle an honest review..We do a great busines and off this exit we are the best deal. It seems that you stayed in more than one room the same day.You do not mention the room number or generally not specific.
It would be fair if I was able to talk to you directly. Seedy is life in general.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights and I booked here based on price coupled with reviews. It was the best reviewed I found for less than 100 a night. Room was fine. Beds were comfortable, EXCEPT, the pull out sofa. It was the worst I have experienced. I felt bad even having my 2 year old and 4 year old sleep on it because it was so awful. I would not book depending on using it. Kitchenette was very nice and a great help. Bathroom was nice. Pool was nice. Water slide looked like a lot of fun. Business center was very helpful. Breakfast was good and was what you would expect from a continental breakfast- donuts, breads, bagels, sausage, cereal, yogurt, etc. Free coffee around the clock and I really appreciate that. Short easy drive to Hershey and very family friendly. Would stay again but would not depend on using the sofa bed. Friendly staff, especially Brian!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Carrie201
GMPA547, General Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was perfect for our 2 day stay. The common areas were clean and staff was friendly. My 14, 11, and 10 year olds liked the little activities/areas for kids. The pool had a small slide, there was a small game room, mini golf area, and an indoor basketball hoop. Our room had a small kitchenette so we were able to cook some meals. There is also a good little Italian restaurant right across the parking lot. Yummy!
We all slept really well. The hotel is close to Hershey Park too. Very easy to get to from here. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank leemary1

Kind Regards,

GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantville
Comfort Suites
#4 of 9 in Grantville
Hampton Inn Harrisburg / Grantville / Hershey
Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Hershey
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg Northeast (Hershey)

Been to MainStay Suites? Share your experiences!