“Average Hotel...Decent Customer Service”

Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Grantville
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Average Hotel...Decent Customer Service”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed at this Property for 2 nights, 3 days during the 4th of July holiday weekend with my family. Check in went great, rooms were ready early which was appreciated. The Hotel is an older property that has had some nice rennovations/upgrades. Beds were comfy, property was decent. My only complaint was the 2nd night the elevator broke and we were forced to walk 4 flights of stairs (Ok unless you have a disability). Also the patrons staying this particular weekend were inconsiderate and rude. Kids of all ages took over the Pool & Hot Tub area unsupervised of course by their parents who were too busy cooking out in the parking lot and drinking beer (ANNOYING!!!!!). It was almost as if they'd taken over the property. 2nd night the hotel also ran out of towels and we ended up having to wait 2 hours before we could take our showers--this however didn't bother me much.

Front Desk Staff was nice, but overall a sub-par stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dylan S, Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Monique A,

Thank you very much for offering us this feedback about your recent stay at our property. I am very glad to hear that our staff made your stay enjoyable and that you enjoyed our amenities. I do apologize that some of our other guests affected your stay negatively. Being a family friendly property close to Hershey Park, we tend to get a lot of families and children that stay with us. We also accommodate youth sports teams on a regular basis and sometimes the kids can get a little carried away in the fun. Again, I apologize if this affected your stay and I hope you will come back to stay with us again. Thank you very much.

Guest Experience Ambassador

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Basehor, Kansas
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night while traveling for business. Hotel is newly renovated and has a nice contemporary look. The room was nice and maintained the contemporary look. The only complaint i had for the room was the iron was broken.

The restaurant was good for hotel food. Bar was open late and had a good selection. Breakfast is served in the same restaurant. I didn't stay for the breakfast. I think a Holiday Inn Express type breakfast buffet is preferred for business travelers which this is not.

Not much around this hotel to do but it is quiet. Great place for one night (minus the small children who had an absent parent most of the night thus their running up and down the hall). I would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Midwester913
Dylan S, Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Midwester913,

Thank you so much for giving us this feedback about your recent stay. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed everything fully. I do apologize that your iron was not working and that there were children disrupting your sleep. If this ever happens again, please call the front desk so we can have security address the issue. In response to your comments about breakfast; some people may prefer a smaller continental breakfast in the morning, however we like to offer a full hot breakfast buffet with eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, and many other items. We find our guests really enjoy our breakfast and the variety of items offered. I am very happy to hear that you would stay with us again and we hope it is soon.
York Haven, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had a snafu with our reservation, totally my fault. Lindsay at the front desk was great! She worked everything out for us and even got us a king room with no reservation. After a late night at the casino we came back and the bar not only had a really good band and crowd, but they were able to rustle up some much needed food for us. The room was spotless, bed comfortable and the common areas beautiful. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erin S
Dylan S, Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Erin S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. I am so glad to hear that Lindsay was able to help you out and that you enjoyed your room! We will be sure to share these great comments with her. Being the closest hotel to the Hollywood Casino is definitely a great aspect to our hotel along with the live bands that we have in The Winner's Circle Saloon every week Wednesday through Saturday. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

this is by far the nastiest place I have ever stayed in. the lobby was nice but the rooms were absolutely disgusting. a motel 6 might have been nicer. I will never again be staying here and could barely make it through the night in the bug infested hotel. the roll away bed had grease on the sheets and I would not even put my feet on the carpet without shoes. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank meyersbritt
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear meyersbritt,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Albany, NY
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was supposed to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg, NE for two nights in order to visit the Manheim Central Penn Auto auction. The Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg, NE turned out to be a nightmare, so I cut short my visit there and headed here instead. The place looks nice from the outside, but upon entering I could see the place was worn. The front desk always seemed to have too few staff to handle the guests so I waited every time I had to deal with the front desk. I was assigned to the 3rd floor and the wait for the elevator was worse than the wait for the front desk service. People all made jokes on how slow it was with one man saying "they better feed the hamsters better so they keep the elevator going faster". Everyone on the elevator laughed, showing how painfully slow the elevator was to retrieve passengers.

My room was nice and the restaurant downstairs was nice with good food. Parking was just ok with the lot overcrowded at times. The location is great and unlike the Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg, NE, this place's internet actually worked reliably.

Even though I rated it as average, I would stay here again as there were no show-stoppers like at the Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg, NE.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dylan S, Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Amex Traveler,

Thank you very much for telling us about your recent experience at our property. I am very happy to hear that you found the room and restaurants to be nice and have good food. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary WiFi. I do apologize that you had to wait for service from the front desk and that the elevator was a little slow. For future reference, we do have 2 other elevators just a short ways down the hall from the single elevator. They are located on the first floor just inside from the parking lot. We also have parking available outside of every entrance to the building, so sometimes the parking lots may seem full when there is actually more space located on a different side of the building. We appreciate you taking the time to review our property and we are happy to hear that you will be staying with us again. We look forward to it. Thank you again.
Atlantic City
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My family of 5 had booked a two double bed room with a sofa bed at this property. Upon arriving at the room, it was small with no sofa bed. I called the front desk to ask about another room beign available and the phone rang and rang. A card on the dresser said if you are not satisfied, please call the manger on duty. I did and it just rang and rang and rang. I had to walk to the front desk and was told they had no more rooms with a sofa bed and a cot would be sent up. I'm wondering what the purpose of the card is, directing gusts to call a number that is not answered.

We had reserved this room for two nights but had to cancel the second night as 5 people in that room was not working.

We had stayed at this hotel several years ago when the kids were very young and had loved it. The kids eat free promotion was wonderful and we had fond memories of eating in the busy hotel dining room.

Now, the prices are so ridiculously high, it makes sense to pay full price for the kids and eat at, say, a Red Robin, which we did. They have to know that most consumers are educated and can do the math. And thus, the nearly empty dining room.

There were other problems including the air conditioner that freezes out the guests on the nearby bed, filthy pools with no towels and outdated bathrooms with that awkward knob to turn on the shower. There were also many dead bugs in the room/air conditioning unit.

The property and the guests staying here resembled a Motel 6. Call me a snob but I don't think parents should be drinking beer and smoking while watching their kids in the pool. I also felt out of place with no tattoos to display. Maybe it's just me. I wondered why this hotel was half the price of similar ones in the Hershey area and now I know.

Again, I tried to address these issues with the manager to give him a chance to discuss the issues we had at this property, but the phone was never answered. So, I'm left to wonder if management doesn't care, or if they are simply not able to solve the issues discussed in my review.

All I know is I won't be back to find out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KershKomments
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear KershKomments,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Nice clean renovated hotel with close proximity to Hersheys attractions. We stayed in room with pool access on the first floor. Good size room with modern touches. Lots of lighting and comfortable bedding. Curtains closed all the way so it made our room dark since the lights do not shut off in the pool area. We are breakfast in the hotels restaurant. Nothing to write home about but the had a nice hot and cold buffet with a few choices. All in all not a bad hotel and would stay here again if we can't back to the area.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dylan S, Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Jones80_98,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us this feedback about your recent stay. We are so happy that you enjoyed yourself and that you found our facilities to be clean and comfortable. After we finished our major remodeling of the property last year, everything has become very new and modern and we get great feedback from our guests about it. Thank you again for your review and we cannot wait to see you again in the future.

Guest Experience Ambassador
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantville
Hampton Inn Harrisburg / Grantville / Hershey
#5 of 9 in Grantville
Days Inn Grantville
Days Inn Grantville
#3 of 9 in Grantville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg Northeast (Hershey)
Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg

Been to Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey? Share your experiences!