“poor value for cost”

Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Grantville
Reviewed 3 August 2014

stopped here after driving for seven hours/ chose this hotel over others due to onsight rest. almost changed mind when they quoted us $189 for the room with no breakfast included as there was a rest on sight. wouldn't you think that the room would have been a bit less because of this. room was less than average exterior door had old broken deadbolt chippingnpaint. I pushed chair against door as I did not feel secure. People running up and down halls till 1 am.
Thank goodness the rest food and service was excellent as the rest of this facility was mediocre at best. Will stay elsewhere next visit and drive to rest. We stayed at best Western for three nights for the same price as one night here and room was better.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dylan S, Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Patty H,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at our property. I apologize that you did not find our prices to be acceptable. Just for future reference, we do offer discounts for both AAA and AARP members and we also have lower rates when you book your room in advance. I am happy to hear that you found the restaurant service and food to be excellent and its great that you will return to eat with us again. We hope you reconsider your option to not stay with us again and give us another chance to live up to our service promise. Thank you again for your review.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Grantville for a weekend-long conference. Overall I would describe the stay and facilities as thoroughly average. Everything was clean and the staff was helpful, especially when accommodating us because of issues with our scheduled conference facilities.

This hotel makes its business on families visiting Hershey Park (about a 10 minutes drive) and hosting events, as there were several going on around ours. Some efforts have been made to modernize this hotel (my theory is in order to keep the Holiday Inn branding), though the upgrades never seemed quite complete anywhere.

Walking in, the lobby is up to date, as is the common hallway area outside all the conference rooms. However, to get to upstairs I had to take this elevator in a weird location that confused me as to whether it was some kind of service elevator. The hallway on my floor was a bit dim and worn.

Entering the room, I noticed that the door did not have an automatic door closer on it, requiring a double check every time I entered or left the room to make sure the door was latched. The furnishings were updated with newer carpet and modern linens. However the mattresses felt worn out and were only double sized. The room did feature a nice desk and chair, and armchair, modern television, and drawers for storage. It was not spacious but wasn't cramped either. The window of our second floor room overlooked a short span of roof that had an eight-foot-tall wall built on the opposite side. The window, which was about 2.5 feet from the floor, had no screen - if desired I could have easily climbed out onto the roof. The vanity was located outside the bathroom in the room and had an updated counter top, though it had no storage. The bathroom was small with a shower head that was about 5.5 feet from the floor and a tub that had no non-slip coating. The ceilings were also about 7 feet. On the positive side, everything was clean.

We were one of several events and conferences held at the hotel over that weekend that somehow resulted in some scheduling mix-ups. The staff was able to accommodate this and provide us any equipment we needed. Some of the equipment was worn our missing and the tables and chairs all felt old. We had a buffet-style banquet dinner one night. The food was decent, though the dinnerware was worn and looked old.

We ate at one of the restaurants for dinner the other night. The staff was friendly and easily sat our large group. The food was good and prices were good, though the restaurant was stuck in the past, both with decor and with some of the menu items.

Overall this hotel met our needs, but was not outstanding in anyway. It was great that the staff was helpful and everything was clean. it just seems like the bare minimum of effort was put in to modernize it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Dylan S, Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear atm91,

I appreciate you taking the time to review our property about your recent stay. I am happy to see that you enjoyed most of your stay and I apologize if you found some of the features of the hotel to still need some work. We are always trying to improve and grow and a lot of the issues you experienced are things that we are aware of and are in the process of addressing. I thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will return to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

All service was very friendly. The indoor and outdoor pools were nice and well maintained. Everything was generally clean. The two restaurants were pretty good. Beyond that, everything was just a little off. It's clear that they recently renovated, but not everything was updated. The old tubs were patched, the vanity and sink didn't fully line up with the bathroom mirror, outlets were in inconvenient locations, and the banquet food was mediocre.

This hotel is fine for a family but maybe not for a higher end business traveler. Price was too high for what you get, likely as a result of lack of competition in the immediate area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Dylan S, Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Jessica L,

Thank you for giving us this feedback about your stay with us. It is great to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and that you enjoyed the food. I do apologize that the layout of the guest room was not to your liking. We are continuously trying to improve and update our property and we appreciate any feedback from our guests in order to continue to grow and develop as a hotel. When it comes to the price, I am sorry if you found it to be a little high. During the summer months, with our close proximity to Hershey Park, our prices do tend to go up a little. Again I thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed at this Property for 2 nights, 3 days during the 4th of July holiday weekend with my family. Check in went great, rooms were ready early which was appreciated. The Hotel is an older property that has had some nice rennovations/upgrades. Beds were comfy, property was decent. My only complaint was the 2nd night the elevator broke and we were forced to walk 4 flights of stairs (Ok unless you have a disability). Also the patrons staying this particular weekend were inconsiderate and rude. Kids of all ages took over the Pool & Hot Tub area unsupervised of course by their parents who were too busy cooking out in the parking lot and drinking beer (ANNOYING!!!!!). It was almost as if they'd taken over the property. 2nd night the hotel also ran out of towels and we ended up having to wait 2 hours before we could take our showers--this however didn't bother me much.

Front Desk Staff was nice, but overall a sub-par stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Dylan S, Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Monique A,

Thank you very much for offering us this feedback about your recent stay at our property. I am very glad to hear that our staff made your stay enjoyable and that you enjoyed our amenities. I do apologize that some of our other guests affected your stay negatively. Being a family friendly property close to Hershey Park, we tend to get a lot of families and children that stay with us. We also accommodate youth sports teams on a regular basis and sometimes the kids can get a little carried away in the fun. Again, I apologize if this affected your stay and I hope you will come back to stay with us again. Thank you very much.

Dylan Sykes
Guest Experience Ambassador

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night while traveling for business. Hotel is newly renovated and has a nice contemporary look. The room was nice and maintained the contemporary look. The only complaint i had for the room was the iron was broken.

The restaurant was good for hotel food. Bar was open late and had a good selection. Breakfast is served in the same restaurant. I didn't stay for the breakfast. I think a Holiday Inn Express type breakfast buffet is preferred for business travelers which this is not.

Not much around this hotel to do but it is quiet. Great place for one night (minus the small children who had an absent parent most of the night thus their running up and down the hall). I would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Midwester913
Dylan S, Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Midwester913,

Thank you so much for giving us this feedback about your recent stay. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed everything fully. I do apologize that your iron was not working and that there were children disrupting your sleep. If this ever happens again, please call the front desk so we can have security address the issue. In response to your comments about breakfast; some people may prefer a smaller continental breakfast in the morning, however we like to offer a full hot breakfast buffet with eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, and many other items. We find our guests really enjoy our breakfast and the variety of items offered. I am very happy to hear that you would stay with us again and we hope it is soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had a snafu with our reservation, totally my fault. Lindsay at the front desk was great! She worked everything out for us and even got us a king room with no reservation. After a late night at the casino we came back and the bar not only had a really good band and crowd, but they were able to rustle up some much needed food for us. The room was spotless, bed comfortable and the common areas beautiful. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erin S
Dylan S, Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Erin S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. I am so glad to hear that Lindsay was able to help you out and that you enjoyed your room! We will be sure to share these great comments with her. Being the closest hotel to the Hollywood Casino is definitely a great aspect to our hotel along with the live bands that we have in The Winner's Circle Saloon every week Wednesday through Saturday. We hope to see you again soon!

Dylan Sykes
Guest Experience Ambassador

Reviewed 7 July 2014

this is by far the nastiest place I have ever stayed in. the lobby was nice but the rooms were absolutely disgusting. a motel 6 might have been nicer. I will never again be staying here and could barely make it through the night in the bug infested hotel. the roll away bed had grease on the sheets and I would not even put my feet on the carpet without shoes. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank meyersbritt
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear meyersbritt,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantville
Hampton Inn Harrisburg / Grantville / Hershey
Comfort Suites
#6 of 9 in Grantville
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Hershey
Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg

Been to Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey? Share your experiences!