“One of my best camping experiences ever”

Promised Land State Park
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Greentown
Wilmington, Delaware
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“One of my best camping experiences ever”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My 8yo son and I spent three nights here in August 2013...and we both cried a little to leave. It was a beautiful, magical time that we'll both treasure. The gorgeous weather helped (I think the temperature topped out at 80 degrees, which is a godsend in mid-Atlantic August), but the park itself is just lovely. The lake is clear and cool. The hiking trails are well marked and great for young and/or inexperienced hikers. We enjoyed it all.

Every tent site is lakeside, so I sipped my morning coffee by the peaceful water's edge, then we watched the sunset each evening reflecting off the lake. We took a blanket down to the swimming beach one night, too, to star gaze. We rented a kayak for the first time, which was just awesome, paddling around in the reedy marshy part of the lake with the ducks, then gliding across the center of the lake with the sun on our backs. We hiked along a gentle stream and my son seam in the little pool at the base of a small waterfall; I will never forget the look of sheer joy on his face there.

All the tent sites are walk-in sites, so pack accordingly. Our particular site was quite roomy, but not all were as big. As they get closer to the end of the peninsula (toward the swimming beach), the sites seem to get smaller. I did notice the tent sites are way nicer than the camper/rv sites, more secluded and of course closer to the water. When we visited it was not crowded, but there were families in the adjacent sites yet they were far enough away that we couldn't really hear them. (I kind of like knowing people are nearby, but I don't want to be close enough to hear them breathing at night...this has happened in other campgrounds.)

There is a camp store not far outside the campground where we found the few items we'd left behind...and then some. But the firewood was not well seasoned and we had trouble getting a good fire going.

I have to say, one of the best features of this campground, though, is the bathhouses. They are pristine and modern. When we visited, they were cleaner than my bathroom at home. Hot water, motion sensored lights to save power, and plenty of stalls. There's a wash basin outside the bathhouse for dishes. I don't recall a water spigot in the site, so be sure to bring a container to lug to your site.

Overall, this was a fantastic campground and a beautiful park. I can't wait to go back, although I have a feeling we'll never again have such a perfect combination of weather and wonder. It will be fun to share t with the rest of our family.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Tori B

Cathedral City, California, United States
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“A Woodland Oasis”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The Promised Land State Park is located in North Eastern Pennsylvania. This is the first Pennsylvania State Park and campgrounds that we have visited. We found this park and campgrounds to be a gem. If large, wooded private, camp sites, fire rings, quiet, clean facilities that include hot showers are appealing then you will love this camping area. Camp sites have a secluded feel with tenting areas separate from RVs, pet campers separate from no pet campers. It seems that Pennsylvania has thought of everything. We are tent campers so I can only address that aspect of the park. We found drinking water as well as water for clean up available. The park is beautiful with lakes, waterfalls, hiking trails and opportunities for day hiking, swimming, photography and breathing fresh air. The woods are full of birds including wild turkeys. This is bear country so campsites need to be secure at night with all food put in the car. The registration office is staffed by friendly, enthusiastic and helpful park staff. We will camp here again on our next cross country trip.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Marcia S
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Memorial Day Weekend 2014”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I visited the Promised Land State Park during the Memorial Day weekend.
The area was quiet and peaceful even for holiday weekend.
We discovered that this place is a breath of fresh air especially for us, city dwellers that we are.
We enjoyed a leisurely walk around the Conservation Island at the heart of the park. The island is a great place to just sit and enjoy the view and observe the wildlife.
We rented a row boat for fishing and toured the lake for a few hours.
Another park’s attraction is the little falls trail which was very serene. The sound of the rushing water is a great source of calm and pleasure.
I want to stress that all trails are very well marked and you feel confident walking through the woods.
For our trip to the Promised Land State Park we rented house. It was beautiful, airy and clean one with the fully equipped kitchen and back deck where we had BBQ at night time. Our host Rafal provided us with lovely accommodations, great advice and a delicious breakfast.
As soon as we returned to the city we started to dream about another escape to such wonderful place.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank kolobkiyan
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Beautiful State Park”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My family has enjoyed camping here for many many years. We normally choose the lower lake tent sites but all the other areas are nice as well. Lower lake is further away from the lake beach so you have to ride your bike or drive to go swimming at the lake. The bathrooms are large, modern and clean. The trails we have hiked are very nice although some areas are a little overgrown and trail markers can be hard to find. There is a small camp store with an attached ice cream shop. It feels remote just hiking, biking, boating, camping...very nice change of pace.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank PMplus4
Tenafly, New Jersey
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A beautiful park with trails for everyone”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The Promised Land part is a beautiful park which boasts many activities. We came because we wanted to hike and with an infant were looking for shorter trails. We went for two of these which were very beautiful and provided fun for the whole family (well, the kid who spotted a snake was not amused by that experience but other than that it was a great day)

Visited May 2014