“Never Again.......”

Hanover Hotel & Banquet Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Hanover
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here and we will NEVER stay again. The musty smell mentioned in so many of the previous posts also greeted us when we entered the room. Normally, I would have left THEN, but after traveling all day we were exhausted. We had been unable to find a hotel with a vacancy and we were so relieved to find this one. Our relief was short lived!! We had NO WATER in the shower and the sink wouldn't drain. The musty odor permeated the bed, carpet, towels and curtains. Fortunately I had a can of LYSOL, so I sprayed everything, and after running the AC for a couple of hours the smell went away. We also had our own blankets and pillows, so that made sleeping on the bed slightly more bearable. The next morning my husband went into the office to check out and he told the staff about our issues with the room. Her reply??........"Oh, sorry"......that was it!! I don't mind old or rundown, but UNCLEAN and UNUSABLE are a different story. On a scale of 1 to 10, Red Carpet Inn gets about a negative 4.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angela-N-George

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Myself a number of Vermont members of the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association stayed at the inn for the duration of our annual meeting in Gettysburg. Chuck, the owner was very accommodating and very friendly. I understand that when he purchased the inn a few years ago, it was practically uninhabitable. He has done a super job in setting it right. Rooms were clean and my bed was very comfortable.

The restaurant and tavern is a gem in the rough, feature a Bourbon St. Cajun menu. Good service and very good food, although ya'll northerners who never lived in the deep south beware some of the sauces.

While we were there work continued on improvements, including a new patio for the outside bar.

On motorcycle trips I will stay there again, as I am sure the next time, things will be continuing to improve.

Room Tip: Two story motel and I would recommend ground level for better access.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank guey15
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We hosted a retirement party at the Red Carpet Inn's bar, A Taste of Bourbon, last Saturday. The hall was very clean and the bar service was wonderful. Many of our guests spent the night at the hotel and were very impressed. The rooms were clean and well-maintained. It was a great bonus to be able to stay at the site of the party and to see our guests off in the morning. We wish the pool would have been open, but it looks like they are in the process of making some changes. Overall, a very good experience and we would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The room was clean ( did have a stale odor), but definitely needed updating!
If you're expecting a pool, don't stay here! The pool is being filled in with gravel. We were told that PA has changed the laws for public pools, and it would be too costly to meet all of the disabilities requirements
The staff was friendly, and the breakfast was adequate.
For the price, I'd stay there again. We weren't there very long, and it did meet our needs.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the newer section!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kwcounty
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We arrived at the Inn on the night of May 17. Our reservation went well until we went to the room. A smoker had been the previous occupant. Neither my wife or myself are smokers, plus I have heart & breathing problem. We informed the desk. To our surprise, the owner showed about an hour later. We discussed the problem with him and he refunded our money. He said it was a staff problem and he would take care of it. They worked some magic and removed the odor. We were very pleased with the care and attention they gave. It was first class.

Room Tip: Non-smokers advise them before hand that it needs to be a non-smoking room and why.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Entire facility was dated, but clean and comfortable. Very, very nice staff. Restaurant/bar on site and plenty of food and shop within walking distance. Was only there for 10 hours. Fit my overnight needs well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Metsluvrnj
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The first room I was given was sub-par, but the second was okay. The rooms need renovation - badly - but the motel overall isn't bad. The staff is super friendly. There's a bar/nightclub on site and a pool with a deck that seems like a nice place to chill on a summer afternoon. There was a fireplace in the lobby, which was nice for this time of year*.

The owner's a local, having graduated from New Oxford or one of Hanover's other satellite towns back in the 1980s. You can tell he's putting his sweat into the place. When I was here he was working on renovating the bar. I look forward to staying here again in the future and seeing progress being made on the rooms.

The location of this hotel is pretty sweet. Local walkable shopping includes Kleffels (an all-time-favorite local clothing store with great American brands) as well as Dicks, Sears, JCPenney, Tractor Supply Co., and the shops of North Hanover Mall. Plus, it's on the RabbitTransit 20N and 22N bus routes, which you can take to even more nearby shopping opportunities at the other North Hanover shopping plazas and even Hanover's historic downtown - Hanover Square.

I found this property on a dog-friendly hotel finder and found it to indeed be dog friendly.

*This review refers to winter holiday travel 2013.

Room Tip: Look at more than one room before accepting the key to whichever room they give you.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo