“I Love this Place”

Little Red School House
Ranked #46 of 132 Restaurants in Hanover
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The Schoolhouse is what it is, a great little country diner and bar. Down home food, ample salad bar and the best Sweet Tater Pie I have ever had. Beef Ribs were the special and slathered in BBQ sauce. Huge Prime Rib Ribs, meaty as heck. Fido would have had a fight on his paws for these ribs. Its homy, country and just right. The special, pie, iced tea all for $15 bucks. The service was more than adequate and enough for a single guy. I come to the area on business yearly and never miss the Schoolhouse. Last year it was Prime Rib and cooked to a turn. If you want fast, friendly, and tasty, go to the Schoolhouse.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

I would like to post a message on behalf of 4 family members that ate breakfast here on the morning of 6/30/12. After waiting for a table, waiting for their breakfast to be served, 2 of them with wrong orders, and only taking 20 minutes to eat, the waitress actually had the nerve to ask my family to leave so other people could have their table. They didn't even get to finish their coffee. Of course she didn't get one penny and you can bet my LARGE family will never ever step foot in their establishment again and everyone we know is being told what happened to them!

5  Thank lislin02
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I'm very surprised at the 3 reviews. I've been going to the Little Red School House for many, many years with family and friends on a regular basis. Wouldn't go anywhere else. It's an hour drive for us and well worth it! Great Place... Great Staff... Great Food... Great Price! Breakfast like mom use to make. Good Home Cookin'.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I'm really surprised by the previous entry and frankly, was intrigued enough to go to the Little Red Schoolhouse myself. I wanted to see what was so bad that it drove someone to write a review with the competitors information.

First, I was lost. Couldn't find the place so I called from the Square in Hanover. The woman who answered was very sweet and gave me turn by turn directions. Since I'm no good at verbal directions, I had to call a second time and she was just as polite this time. You could hear the place was hopping but she asked how many were coming and said that she would look out for us.

We did arrive, about 10 minutes later, and walked into a very cozy, friendly little cafe that smelled delicious. Someone greeted us right away and asked if we were the ones who had called. We had table within 5 minutes and really enjoyed the antiques all over the walls as well as reading the specials on the big chalk board in the back. Looking around, there was a mix of young familes with small children to senior citizens. You could tell that this was a favorite.

There were four of us and we each ordered some type of omelette. Each was served with 'meat' and we had everything from bacon to ham to sausage to scrapple. The coffee was hot and filled often (I think two of us had three cups while there). The jam and jelly were on the table and quite delicious. We found the food to be very good. As a matter of fact, the ONLY reason why I am not giving a 5 on food is because three of the four of us (not me) felt that the omelettes should have been served in a more traditional fashion: eggs folded over and the middle filled. Rather, the fillers were mixed in with the eggs - which I thought was just great because it meant a lot more vegetables in my vegetable omelette!

The prices are very reasonable: for four adults, four different omelettes, a couple of sides, coffee for three and milk for one, our entire bill was right around $30.

As we were paying, the women gave us a short cut for driving back home (I had a pen this time!) and we were back in half the time.

I really liked this place and will definately go again. My Mom is always wanting to go someplace new and I can't wait to go back again with her.

Forget the 'other' place recommended below -- this one was worth the personal attention and atmosphere.

4  Thank J E
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Just got back from my first trip to this place. Food is OK, but our waiter made us feel uncomfortable and just angry.

My boyfriend and I both walked in and I picked a small table near the wall. After sitting there for about 10 seconds my boyfriend wanted to sit by a more comfortable setting by the window. While our waitress was setting down our drinks we politely asked if we could move. She literally SLAMMED down our drinks, grunted, and just left our table.
We took our drinks and place settings and placed them on the new table ourselves. Less than a minute later she comes to our new table and asks us "are you ready yet?" ...
I told her it was our first time and she grunted and walked off. When she came back I had questions about the chip beef (sorry I've never had this before.) SHE ROLLED HER EYES and frankly said "its chip beef". um thanks?

Honestly by the time our eggs came I was beyond furious, mainly embarrassed because I just moved into this new area. I wanted to introduce my boyfriend to a friendly community with good country cooking but sadly he got the opposite impression.
*if you need to go to this restaurant avoid an 80 year old hag with gray short hair.*

GO TO COUNTRY DUTCH RESTAURANT, more options, tastier food, cheap, & friendly.
@ 946 Baltimore St, Hanover, PA.

3  Thank sailaway22