“Great for a simple brunch!”

Little Red School House
Ranked #52 of 131 Restaurants in Hanover
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Great for a simple brunch!”
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

This quaint little school house setting serves what one would expect. I had a very simple, satisfying brunch with friends here- Eggs, toast, coffee, some fruit. It is above par of what you'll get at a diner. Service was good, but if you're expecting some elegant gourmet meal here, dine elsewhere. Sorry, but I was surprised at some of the bad reviews. I've eaten here three times & it was consistently good. Service & food in Adams/York/Franklin County is different from Paris, France.

Pa
“I Love this Place”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The Schoolhouse is what it is, a great little country diner and bar. Down home food, ample salad bar and the best Sweet Tater Pie I have ever had. Beef Ribs were the special and slathered in BBQ sauce. Huge Prime Rib Ribs, meaty as heck. Fido would have had a fight on his paws for these ribs. Its homy, country and just right. The special, pie, iced tea all for $15 bucks. The service was more than adequate and enough for a single guy. I come to the area on business yearly and never miss the Schoolhouse. Last year it was Prime Rib and cooked to a turn. If you want fast, friendly, and tasty, go to the Schoolhouse.

• Visited August 2012
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
“Waitress asked family to leave!”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I would like to post a message on behalf of 4 family members that ate breakfast here on the morning of 6/30/12. After waiting for a table, waiting for their breakfast to be served, 2 of them with wrong orders, and only taking 20 minutes to eat, the waitress actually had the nerve to ask my family to leave so other people could have their table. They didn't even get to finish their coffee. Of course she didn't get one penny and you can bet my LARGE family will never ever step foot in their establishment again and everyone we know is being told what happened to them!

• Visited June 2012
4 Thank lislin02
Ellicott City, Maryland
“What a Unique Treasure...”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I'm very surprised at the 3 reviews. I've been going to the Little Red School House for many, many years with family and friends on a regular basis. Wouldn't go anywhere else. It's an hour drive for us and well worth it! Great Place... Great Staff... Great Food... Great Price! Breakfast like mom use to make. Good Home Cookin'.

• Visited May 2012
Westminster, Maryland
“Don't know what YOU experienced, but ....”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I'm really surprised by the previous entry and frankly, was intrigued enough to go to the Little Red Schoolhouse myself. I wanted to see what was so bad that it drove someone to write a review with the competitors information.

First, I was lost. Couldn't find the place so I called from the Square in Hanover. The woman who answered was very sweet and gave me turn by turn directions. Since I'm no good at verbal directions, I had to call a second time and she was just as polite this time. You could hear the place was hopping but she asked how many were coming and said that she would look out for us.

We did arrive, about 10 minutes later, and walked into a very cozy, friendly little cafe that smelled delicious. Someone greeted us right away and asked if we were the ones who had called. We had table within 5 minutes and really enjoyed the antiques all over the walls as well as reading the specials on the big chalk board in the back. Looking around, there was a mix of young familes with small children to senior citizens. You could tell that this was a favorite.

There were four of us and we each ordered some type of omelette. Each was served with 'meat' and we had everything from bacon to ham to sausage to scrapple. The coffee was hot and filled often (I think two of us had three cups while there). The jam and jelly were on the table and quite delicious. We found the food to be very good. As a matter of fact, the ONLY reason why I am not giving a 5 on food is because three of the four of us (not me) felt that the omelettes should have been served in a more traditional fashion: eggs folded over and the middle filled. Rather, the fillers were mixed in with the eggs - which I thought was just great because it meant a lot more vegetables in my vegetable omelette!

The prices are very reasonable: for four adults, four different omelettes, a couple of sides, coffee for three and milk for one, our entire bill was right around $30.

As we were paying, the women gave us a short cut for driving back home (I had a pen this time!) and we were back in half the time.

I really liked this place and will definately go again. My Mom is always wanting to go someplace new and I can't wait to go back again with her.

Forget the 'other' place recommended below -- this one was worth the personal attention and atmosphere.

• Visited April 2012