“Very spacious, clean rooms”

Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Right off of I-81 east of Harrisburg and just a few miles north of Hershey, this HIE is in a great location. The room that we got (an ADA room) was one of the largest and cleanest that we've ever stayed in. The decor was very well done. For the price (<$100/night), it is a GREAT deal.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Akash P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. Wow! To see that one of our guests mentioned our rooms as one of the largest and cleanest that you ever stayed in is such a great feeling! We take great pride in our cleanliness and we are ecstatic to hear that it was appreciated!

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!

Thanks,

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have worked in the hotel industry as a GSR for a few years now and I know the ins and outs of hotel service. Although the room was very nice, I was disappointed in the front desk. I booked a pre-paid room online for my mother, who was in the Lancaster area, I picked a pre-paid Jacuzzi room as a birthday gift for her. I had an email confirmation from the hotel telling me the room was pre-paid, deposits were due at the time the reservation was made so I didn't expect any issues. Like always I called a few days prior to her arrival to confirm her reservation, room type, and that the room was pre-paid. The front desk seemed a bit confused and said it had not been pre-paid, he transferred me back to the manager. The general manager assured me it was booked as pre-paid, but the deposit hadn't been taken yet. I understood that because sometimes hotels don't take deposits until the day before or even the day of.

However when my mother went to check into the hotel they claimed the room was not pre-paid at all. I tried talking to Rick and even offered to forward him the email confirmation! Honestly they didn't know what they were doing at all, he claimed the room was not listed as pre-paid, obviously he didn't know what a rate code is. Same goes for Christine Harrison who my mother spoke to prior to Rick. My mother also complained that Christine Harrison was not customer friendly at all and seemed irritated and like she didn't want to be at work (even before this issue had come up) I was shocked when I found out that was the type of person they have as their front desk supervisor. She can't read rate codes apparently. There dissatisfied with the way the situation was handled. Teach your employees what a rate code is, and take deposits when they should be taken.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kate P
Akash P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I am glad to hear that you find our hotel beautiful as we take great pride in our recent renovations and our conversion to a Holiday Inn Express

I would like to sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction with our staff members. I have followed up with all of our staff and have strongly emphasized the importance of guest service. I truly do appreciate your feedback and would be more than happy to hear more if you would like to provide more information. Please feel free to call me at any time at 717.540.8400.

Again, I do sincerely apologize and I hope that you will give us another try.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Check-in was fast and easy. The pleasant room was well lit and had modern décor. It included two comfortable chairs, a desk, a small writing table, and a microwave. The mini-fridge was the best I've ever seen in a hotel: it had a separate door for the freezer compartment! The bed was comfortable. The bathroom contained the toilet and shower, with the sink outside. The sink area had towels underneath, but no towel rack! There was not much counter space. The shower head was good and we had plenty of hot water, but our smoke alarm was set off even though the door was shut during showering. We had the room next to the elevator. We heard a buzzing sound, but it didn't keep us awake at night. The breakfast was pretty good: processed scrambled eggs, sausage patties, biscuits and gravy, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, and the usual carbs. We ate a decent dinner at the Perkins across the street.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Akash P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review of the Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg NE. Our staff and management take great pride in our property and I'm glad it shows.

Should you be back in the area again, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg NE for your next visit to the Harrisburg/Hershey area!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

After driving for 9 hours my wife and I were looking for a good rest. The attendant was more interested in computer than help us find dinner accommodations. This is a newly converted Hotel, very modern style. Beds were very hard with mattress mount on frame. Breakfast was average. No waffles.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill S
Akash P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I would like to sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction with our staff member. I have followed up with all of our staff and have strongly emphasized the importance of guest service. I truly do appreciate your feedback and would be more than happy to hear more if you would like to provide more information. Please feel free to call me at any time at 717.540.8400.

Again, I do sincerely apologize and I hope that you will give us another try.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The hotel is huge close to Hershey park Rooms are nice and large so you can really shack in. But strangely one section of the hotel has some sort of a tin roof and when it started raining it made quite a racket so we did not get a good nights sleep

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Akash P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We are happy to hear that you were satisfied with our newly renovated, large rooms. However, we regret to hear that you were not able to sleep well. This is the first time that we have heard about noise from our roof due to rain. We will definitely check this out and make sure to fix any issues as soon as possible.

We thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope that you will give us another try if you ever come to the Hershey/Harrisburg area again.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

My wife and i stayed here August 26 after a day at Hershey Park. Everything was great !!!!!!! Nice location about 4 miles from Hershey.The desk staff was friendly and the room was HUGE. The next time I am in that area this would be my motel of choice. The free breakfast was very good and the staff made sure everything was kept full. There was plenty of computers for use also Enough said.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Akash P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We are happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay! We are glad that you were able to take advantage of our large business center. Furthermore, I am most pleased to hear that our staff was friendly and catered to your needs! We take great pride in our service!

We hope you and your wife will come back to visit us soon!

Thanks,

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We had high hopes for this hotel. Let's just say it was an OK stay. The rooms are OK, the lobby and breakfast are OK. But there seems to be a lack of attention to the details.

When we arrived, we were efficiently checked in. We took the elevator to the second floor and was surprised to see blue painter's tape holding done the carpet at the elevator threshold as we exited....and the tape was not new.

We then went to use the hot tub. It was a cold tub and there were no jets. We informed the manager who cycled the breaker in the maintenance room. The jets worked for 1 minute and quit again. We gave up, told the front desk, and retired for the night.

Evening two, the hot tub was hot...but still no jets. We also tried the pool...freezing!!!

Evening three, we arrived back to our room only to discover housekeeping had completely ignored us. Our initial reservation was for 2 nights and we extended it to a third and had told the front desk that morning. They re-did our key cards, etc., so they knew we would be there. Coming back to a pile of wet towels, etc. was not fun. We called the front desk and were told housekeeping was gone for the day. I gathered up the wet towels and the front desk brought up fresh towels. The kid on duty had no explanation.

By evening three, a sign had appeared that the hot tub was broken (duh!).

When checking out the next morning, I complained to the manager on duty about housekeeping. She credited us $20.

By the way, did I mention the bathtub in our room didn't drain? If hotel management sees this, it's room 220. And the mattresses are too hard for my liking.

So all in all, it seems to be a nice hotel. But someone is not paying attention to the details.when we return to the Hershey area, we'll try somewhere else first.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I sincerely apologize for all of the issues noted in your review. As of now, the jets in our hot tub are working, but not to full capacity - we have a pool & spa company coming next week to fix the issue. As for the housekeeping issue, we take full responsibility. This is not acceptable and I have already followed up with our housekeeping staff in order to make sure this does not happen again. Thank you for pointing out the bathtub issue in room 220. This has been fixed.

Again, I want to sincerely apologize. If there are any other issues that you would like to mention or discuss, please feel free to give me a call at any time. You can reach me at 717-540-8400. I would love to hear any other feedback that you may have as this would certainly benefit our hotel and future guests.