Sleep Inn & Suites(Harrisburg)
US$132
  • Pool
US$176
US$162
Homewood
Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey(Harrisburg)(Great Value!)
US$73
Hampton.com
Econo Lodge(Harrisburg)
US$89
US$176
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We spent a night at the Crowne Plaza as the finally leg of an exhausting bus trip and were very pleased with the hotel's amenities. Great friendly service, nice surprise to have complimentary ice cream and citrus infused water waiting for us as we checked in. Check in was fast and stress free. Room had everything we needed and we appreciated the free WiFi.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Many Thanks for your thoughts! So glad you felt welcomed and enjoyed our stress relieving services. Hope the rest of your journey was just as fun and inviting!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 8 August 2012

upon arriving on thursday aug 2 we were greeted with a smile from the valet people and were very hospital. they went out of their way to see to it that our stay was memorable and it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all of the people that work at the crowne were very coutrious and friendly. they really made this a well rememberd stay and have sold myself and my husband on returning to the crowna at a later time. i can not say enough about the people. even the maid servers were very accomaditing to us and especially shannon in the restaurant went above and beyond their jobs to make us happy and satisfied. i would and will recommend the crowne hotel to all of my friends that travel to the harrisburg area to stay. i give them all a thumbs up and a score of 10 to boot.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts! I am thrilled that you enjoyed everything. Shannon was so pleased to see her name on TripAdvisor! Thanks for making her day!

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Visitors to Hersheypark looking for 4 star accommodations have a bit of a dilemma. The Hotel Hershey is the obvious choice – it’s luxurious, historic, and very close to the park. It’s also incredibly expensive. Other options near the park are only 3 stars or less and are generally pricy during the summer travel season. Harrisburg is only 15-20 minutes from the park, and while some sites list the hotels here as 4 stars, Trip Advisor has them more accurately at 3.5. Not perfect, but with more reasonable prices it seemed like out best choice.

We took our chances with Priceline (which, to its credit, only listed up to 3.5 stars in the area) and ended up at the Crowne Plaza. My first concern after researching the hotel is that we’d end up in a room with only one bed (we brought sleeping bags for the kids just in case). This is only an issue with Priceline – if you book through a regular website you can pick your room. The second thing I noticed was that parking was somewhat pricy – it’s valet only and it’s $18 per night. Given the area this is a bit overpriced but it’s a common technique to keep the list price of the rooms lower.

My first concern was allayed when we checked in. As suspected there were no rooms with two double beds available but they were able to get us into a room with a king sized bed and a pull out couch (those sleeping bags came in handy). The valet parking systems works OK; you can scan your claim ticket in the hotel lobby and watch a video monitor to see when your car arrives. Still, you’ll have to give yourself some extra time; it can take ten minutes or longer to have your car brought up (it’s probably worse when there’s an event at the hotel).

Our only major incident happened when we first tried to open the door to our room. It would unlock but not open. I headed back down to the front desk, which explained that some of the door locks work backwards – the handle needs to be pulled upwards to open the door. They said even their engineer couldn’t figure out why it worked that way. A hotel employee (I think he was a manager, and I should point out he was friendly and apologetic) came up to help us open the door, but once we knew how it worked it wasn’t difficult. The situation was handled well but there’s really no excuse to not fixing an issue like this, even if it means hiring a new engineer. At the least, there should be a list of rooms with this problem at the front desk so guests can be warned.

The room itself was OK. It was relatively large and looked new and clean (even if the decor seemed a bit generic and dated). It had a small kitchenette (sink, mini-fridge, and microwave). The bed was OK but not as comfortable or luxurious as in nicer hotels. On the downside, we found a leftover takeout container of soup in the fridge (gross), some fixtures were loose (the handle on the shower and the base on the flat panel TV) and the lighting fixture above the sink was titled a bit. None of these were terrible, but its details like this that will keep this play firmly at 3.5 stars.

An indoor pool is a welcome feature at any hotel, but here too we ran into some disappointments. The location is less than ideal – it’s surrounded by the hotel’s ballrooms. Fortunately there were no events at the time we visited but I’d rather not walk through a formal event in my swimsuit. The pool had the same shape as the one in the pictures but not the same water – it was much murkier. Not quite so bad that I wouldn’t swim in it, but certainly not the clear “see to the bottom” water in the picture either. On the plus side, there were plenty of towels left out and it wasn’t very crowded.

The lobby of the hotel was nice and service at the front desk was fast and friendly. One perk was a freezer with free ice cream bars which the kids really enjoyed, although I’m not sure if this is a regular thing.

Overall the Crowne Plaza is a good choice if you know what to expect. The staff is friendly, the rooms are (mostly) clean, and it’s not far from Hershey so it’s a good choice for families. For the price I paid I was quite happy.

Still, it seems as if it the hotel was built to be a 4 star property (and some sites still have it listed as such), and here it falls a bit short. Although the rooms seem to have been recently refreshed, the hotel will need to spend a bit more money on the next go around for higher quality bedding and fixtures to get that 4th star back. It will also need a staff that is not just friendly but obsessed with perfection. Fridges need to be cleaned out, pool water needs to be clear, fixtures need to be tightened, and door handles need to work normally. For our fun family stay these details didn’t matter much, but if these things are a big deal to you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: This hotel has a wide variety of room sizes, some with only a single queen sized bed. Make sure you book a room large enough for your needs.If you need the kitchenette that was in our room you'll probably need to call the hotel directly, as this feature isn't listed anywhere online that I can find and probably isn't standard in all the rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience! I appreciate your analysis and will strive to ensure that all of the areas you mentioned are corrected immediately. The pool is actually closed today for maintenance to rectify the cloudiness. No excuse for left over items in a refrigerator or door handle mishaps. These are trainable areas for our staff and will be rectified with urgency. The ice cream was a big hit all summer, glad you enjoyed it! Thanks again!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 4 August 2012

Jusf returned from a two night stay here, while attending a conference in Hershey. We received the Conference Rate of $99 a night and for that price it was worth it. I wouldn't stay for more than that though just because the rooms are older and small and the parking is valet only and $18 a day. The Hilton next door has a self-park option and the rooms are bigger and newer and, at regular rates, runs the same price. Also for a room this size and age, the Riverside Comfort Inn is free, self-park and much, much cheaper. That said the rooms were totally clean, the staff was excellent and friendly and the pool was awesome!

• Stayed: August 2012
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Thanks for sharing your experience! Hope you enjoyed your conference! Glad you enjoyed the cleanliness of the Hotel and had fun in the pool! Our staff enjoyed hosting visitors to the conference in Hershey this past weekend.

Safe Travels Always!

Reviewed 4 August 2012

I was assured a handicapped accessible room three times before arriving and was told at check in that none were available. I checked in for four nights. 1st room I was put in had no shower handle and hair dryer blew a fuse each time it was turned on, also was inaccessible for mobility issues. 2nd room was dirty and inaccessible for mobility issues. I asked for clean sheets and was shoved a pair of flat and fitted sheets by housekeeping to change myself. The housekeeping manager apologized, but never passed the info along. I was charged 2x for the room, as I had paid for it by priceline, then re-charged on my card.Each day I asked for the room to be cleaned and vacuumed, sheets changed and aside from changing them myself, never had it done. I did receive three new towels, but the floor had old hair elastics and food on it from someone else. When I asked to speak to the general manager, I was given the front desk manager who gave me breakfast and dinner for my "trouble". I was looking for a handicapped accessible room, which was never provided even though I asked repeatedly. Horrible experience. Horrible room. Completely inaccessible to anyone with any type of mobility issue. I am very disappointed that after 4 days I still could not speak with the general manager.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
2  Thank julie40827

Thank you for sharing your experience, please contact me at 717-920-1781. I truly need to better understand the challenges. I am concerned about the booking through priceline and the need for an accessible room. My understanding with Priceline is that they confirm one single bed. I am not aware that they have the ability to confirm accessible rooms. In order to help future guests that are in need of accessible rooms, I would love to speak with you to learn whether you called priceline three times to get an accessible room, or our Hotel. When a guest books an accessible room through normal reservation channels (not priceline or hotwire) specifically, they get an accessible room...that is a standard and guarantee without question. Please contact me so we can both assist future guests with special needs to get exactly what they require to enjoy their hotel experience.
Thanks,