All reviews restaurant row downtown hotel indoor pool toni capital conference
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We just returned from a weekend at Hershey. We decided to stay in Harrisburg so we could walk to bars and restaurants to unwind after a day at the park. The location was perfect, about 20 mins to Hershey with traffic and about 3 min walk to great nightlife and eats. Also very close to a CVS. The bed was comfortable, and the room was clean. The TV was nice as well. The shower filled like you were taking a bath, but we had no time to complain or switch rooms. When we came back to our room after being gone from 10AM and returning at 8PM, we walked in on the maid cleaning our room. Wonder why she was cleaning so late? She immediately jumped and said 'i didn't touch anything" which we found strange. We used the bathroom and left her to finish. We then went back out for dinner and drinks. When we returned, we found something missing. It was sometime insignificant- but now we know why she stated she "didn't touch anything." She didn't replace the bath mat towel she took, or the dirty towels, she didn't replace the shampoo which we were out of as well. Overall, had she cleaned properly and replaced our towels, and not taken anything- i would say it was a great stay minus the slow drain. Front desk staff and bar tender in lounge were AWESOME.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am deeply concerned and need to investigate. Please contact me directly at 717-920-1781 to assist me in gathering the information needed to follow up. I take guest safety and security very seriously, as do our employees.

I look foward to speaking with you,

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Crown Plaza Harrisburg in my opinion is quite good, my only regret the lack of cleanliness maintained. hotel is old and looks like a fly flying in the hallways and in elevators. rooms are not soundproof, we could hear the flash of water from the next room which is very annoying. free Wifi

2  Thank Albertus S
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

We spent a night at the Crowne Plaza as the finally leg of an exhausting bus trip and were very pleased with the hotel's amenities. Great friendly service, nice surprise to have complimentary ice cream and citrus infused water waiting for us as we checked in. Check in was fast and stress free. Room had everything we needed and we appreciated the free WiFi.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Many Thanks for your thoughts! So glad you felt welcomed and enjoyed our stress relieving services. Hope the rest of your journey was just as fun and inviting!

Reviewed 8 August 2012

upon arriving on thursday aug 2 we were greeted with a smile from the valet people and were very hospital. they went out of their way to see to it that our stay was memorable and it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all of the people that work at the crowne were very coutrious and friendly. they really made this a well rememberd stay and have sold myself and my husband on returning to the crowna at a later time. i can not say enough about the people. even the maid servers were very accomaditing to us and especially shannon in the restaurant went above and beyond their jobs to make us happy and satisfied. i would and will recommend the crowne hotel to all of my friends that travel to the harrisburg area to stay. i give them all a thumbs up and a score of 10 to boot.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts! I am thrilled that you enjoyed everything. Shannon was so pleased to see her name on TripAdvisor! Thanks for making her day!

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Visitors to Hersheypark looking for 4 star accommodations have a bit of a dilemma. The Hotel Hershey is the obvious choice – it’s luxurious, historic, and very close to the park. It’s also incredibly expensive. Other options near the park are only 3 stars or less and are generally pricy during the summer travel season. Harrisburg is only 15-20 minutes from the park, and while some sites list the hotels here as 4 stars, Trip Advisor has them more accurately at 3.5. Not perfect, but with more reasonable prices it seemed like out best choice.

We took our chances with Priceline (which, to its credit, only listed up to 3.5 stars in the area) and ended up at the Crowne Plaza. My first concern after researching the hotel is that we’d end up in a room with only one bed (we brought sleeping bags for the kids just in case). This is only an issue with Priceline – if you book through a regular website you can pick your room. The second thing I noticed was that parking was somewhat pricy – it’s valet only and it’s $18 per night. Given the area this is a bit overpriced but it’s a common technique to keep the list price of the rooms lower.

My first concern was allayed when we checked in. As suspected there were no rooms with two double beds available but they were able to get us into a room with a king sized bed and a pull out couch (those sleeping bags came in handy). The valet parking systems works OK; you can scan your claim ticket in the hotel lobby and watch a video monitor to see when your car arrives. Still, you’ll have to give yourself some extra time; it can take ten minutes or longer to have your car brought up (it’s probably worse when there’s an event at the hotel).

Our only major incident happened when we first tried to open the door to our room. It would unlock but not open. I headed back down to the front desk, which explained that some of the door locks work backwards – the handle needs to be pulled upwards to open the door. They said even their engineer couldn’t figure out why it worked that way. A hotel employee (I think he was a manager, and I should point out he was friendly and apologetic) came up to help us open the door, but once we knew how it worked it wasn’t difficult. The situation was handled well but there’s really no excuse to not fixing an issue like this, even if it means hiring a new engineer. At the least, there should be a list of rooms with this problem at the front desk so guests can be warned.

The room itself was OK. It was relatively large and looked new and clean (even if the decor seemed a bit generic and dated). It had a small kitchenette (sink, mini-fridge, and microwave). The bed was OK but not as comfortable or luxurious as in nicer hotels. On the downside, we found a leftover takeout container of soup in the fridge (gross), some fixtures were loose (the handle on the shower and the base on the flat panel TV) and the lighting fixture above the sink was titled a bit. None of these were terrible, but its details like this that will keep this play firmly at 3.5 stars.

An indoor pool is a welcome feature at any hotel, but here too we ran into some disappointments. The location is less than ideal – it’s surrounded by the hotel’s ballrooms. Fortunately there were no events at the time we visited but I’d rather not walk through a formal event in my swimsuit. The pool had the same shape as the one in the pictures but not the same water – it was much murkier. Not quite so bad that I wouldn’t swim in it, but certainly not the clear “see to the bottom” water in the picture either. On the plus side, there were plenty of towels left out and it wasn’t very crowded.

The lobby of the hotel was nice and service at the front desk was fast and friendly. One perk was a freezer with free ice cream bars which the kids really enjoyed, although I’m not sure if this is a regular thing.

Overall the Crowne Plaza is a good choice if you know what to expect. The staff is friendly, the rooms are (mostly) clean, and it’s not far from Hershey so it’s a good choice for families. For the price I paid I was quite happy.

Still, it seems as if it the hotel was built to be a 4 star property (and some sites still have it listed as such), and here it falls a bit short. Although the rooms seem to have been recently refreshed, the hotel will need to spend a bit more money on the next go around for higher quality bedding and fixtures to get that 4th star back. It will also need a staff that is not just friendly but obsessed with perfection. Fridges need to be cleaned out, pool water needs to be clear, fixtures need to be tightened, and door handles need to work normally. For our fun family stay these details didn’t matter much, but if these things are a big deal to you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: This hotel has a wide variety of room sizes, some with only a single queen sized bed. Make sure you book a room large enough for your needs.If you need the kitchenette that was in our room you'll probably need to call the hotel directly, as this feature isn't listed anywhere online that I can find and probably isn't standard in all the rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience! I appreciate your analysis and will strive to ensure that all of the areas you mentioned are corrected immediately. The pool is actually closed today for maintenance to rectify the cloudiness. No excuse for left over items in a refrigerator or door handle mishaps. These are trainable areas for our staff and will be rectified with urgency. The ice cream was a big hit all summer, glad you enjoyed it! Thanks again!