“Comfortable, friendly - don't believe all the negatives on here”

Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We booked on hotwire as well. We were greeted warmly, treated respectfully, and cheerfully accomodated my request for our two rooms to be close to one another. My wife had a queen and our two young 20's sons had a room with two doubles. I believe our queen room was designed for wheelchair access as the bathroom was very large and everything was designed to be reached from lower to the ground. No problem for us. The rooms and bathrooms were clean, beds very comfortable, furniture and carpet in good shape. So unless everyone is expecting the Beverly Hills Hotel for $600/night, i'm not sure what all the whining is about. Maybe we're just too common! We chose the hotel area because we needed to be in reasonable proximity to the airport.

As for the area of the city, it's just a block away from the river. We didn't have time to spend any time searching for restaurants or things to do as we were in the area for a wedding (not one of the three being hosted by the hotel). The area didn't appear scary to me. Just a typical street of a smallish american city. I guess anything can happen but I didn't see anything that would give me pause to walk around the area.

I'd stay again without any reservation (no pun intended! ).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thanks for your fun review! Typical Street in a Smallish American city was a great description! And, never consider yourself just common - I'd like to think of you as upbeat, positive experienced travelers who look for the happy aspects in life! Keep on having fun!

Safe Travels

Reviewed 7 October 2012

Maybe it's because we got this room at practically half price through Hotwire, or maybe it's due to the terrible reviews of the hotel on tripadvisor, but our expectations were seriously exceeded by this place. We have paid a lot more for a lot worse.

Yes, Hotwire customers do appear to get the short end of the stick with the cursory treatment by the front desk staff (although maybe they're like that to everyone?) and being located in the 'end' rooms looking out onto back streets and high rises, but the rooms are big enough and very clean. The bathroom wasn't half as bad as expected - yes, it's small, but had no problems with the water temperature in the shower.

The hotel is in a very central location, close to lots of restaurants (including the tripadvisor #1 rated Bricco), the hotel bar is pretty cool and has happy hour from 5:30 - 7:30 where 4 drinks cost less than one in other bars, and the internet was strong and fast.

We arrived on a motorcycle and they allowed us to park it ourselves although I'm pretty sure we're going to be charged the valet parking price. But for $18 a day in the capital city of Pennsylvania, that's not too bad a deal (the Hilton is more expensive).

Overall we were pleasantly surprised, but I probably wouldn't have felt so warm and fuzzy toward it if I'd paid full price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your personal experience in Harrisburg! I believe I saw your motorcycle in the morning after your night's stay...it's always fun to see a bike in our porte cochere!

Reviewed 6 October 2012

Ewe is what comes to mind first. Booked on Hotwire so maybe we got a crappy room because of that. Showers are not temp control someone flushed the toilet from another room and was scalded by shower. View from window was roof with air conditioners we could see in another room that was apparently a storage room and you can see a broken window and a pile of junk. Room had a funny smell to it. There were rust spots and water damage on the ceiling in bathroom a bright orange pipe sticking out of the ceiling. Very disappointed

• Stayed: October 2012

Thanks for your review as it allows me to preface that we are grateful for all guests that visit our hotel. Whatever the source of booking: Hotwire, Priceline, Employee Rates, AAA or any - we do not place guests into rooms based on their booking source or rate - we focus on the guests' needs. I apologize for the challenges you experienced and have addressed them with our Chief Engineer; as well as the view of the room under construction. We should have blinds on that room so you don't have to see the "work in progress". Thanks and I am always available for further discussion at 717-920-1781.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Super thin walls in this place. Starting at six am, i could hear at least four alarms and wake up calls around me.
The room smelled like someone chain smoked for days, even though it is a nonsmoking property.
The staff is friendly but cannot overcome the other shortcomings of this hotel.
The room was large but the bathroom is so small that you can barely get in to it and the toilet is about 12 inches off the ground like a grade school potty.
Parking is valet only and costs 18 bucks a day. The nearby Hilton is much nicer if not sold out.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Live2traveldaworld

Thanks for your review regarding your personal experience with the hotel. Please....Please contact me directly if you have time, so I may investigate the room you stayed in (for smell of smoke). I can be reached at 717-920-1781.

Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

I see that 7 months ago, someone wrote a review about the elevator and air conditioning not working. I'm sorry to report that nothing seems to have changed. There are very long waits for the one elevator (over 10 floors), no heat in my room (never got it over 69 degrees), and Internet was down more often than it was up. Also, the hotel ran out of the room type that I had booked, which I've never had happen before. They do have a very nice buffet, but I don't know how expensive it is - I received a free coupon due to the problems. The staff all seem very polite, but unable to do anything. When elevator lines got extremely long, the manager even offered rides on the service elevator to those unwilling to take the stairs to their room. I suspect upper management have given up on this building. Luckily I only had to stay for one night.

• Stayed: September 2012
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the challenges you experienced. I want to assure you, as upper management and on behalf of the entire team that we have not "given up" on the building. This is our home - we are here more than anywhere else - and we the utmost care and concern for the building, guests and employees that we work with. I have been blessed to work with the most caring, dedicated, hard working employees over the past 11 years. And, as this building is nearing 50 years, we all continue to find new and innovative ways to care for it. The ownership recently replaced our 5200 sq. ft. ballroom roof. The building chiller is slated to be replaced mid November of this year. There is always a building project on our plate - and we embrace it with excitement knowing that we are always improving. That's the joy of being 50!

Safe Travels

Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

I spent 2 nights at The Crowne-Plaza recently, and was very pleased that I chose this hotel over the regional options. Every element of our stay - from the room to the location to the parting to the service - it was all top-notch for a price that didn't break the bank.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for your review!

I am thrilled that you enjoyed every aspect of your Crowne Plaza Harrisburg experience.

Safe & Happy Travels!

Reviewed 21 September 2012

We were disappointed and expected more after looking at the website. Our room was ok, but nothing special. The maid did not replace the soap and glasses. It could have been cleaner. The "new" fitness room was just ok. My family and I walked around early evening looking for a place to eat. We saw alot of homeless/seedy people sitting on benches and begging for money. Also, the bus depot is right by the hotel. Beware, not a good place for kids!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Moe D

Thank you for your review. We will work hard to improve the housekeeping areas you noted. I am sorry that you had a challenging impression of the City. In actuality kids love the area - especially when families walk to City Island - along the Walnut Street walking bridge. It's beautiful at night, full of lights, with views of the Susquehanna River below your feet as you cross to the island. It is a city, and like all cities, has its ups and downs, but the joy of seeing kids smiling and laughing when they come visit Harrisburg and walk along the beautiful riverfront is one opportunity not to miss.

Thanks again!!!