“Clean & Friendly”

Hampton Inn Harrisburg East (Hershey Area)
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 20 July 2007

We stayed here and spent 2 nights. We went to Hershey Park for 2 days. The service was friendly, hotel was clean. We didn't go in the outdoor pool, we were too tired from the long day at Hershey Park. About 20 minute drive from Hershey Park, good location next to restaurants and shopping. Nothing fancy, rooms were a little small, but we were only sleeping there. Continental breakfast in the morning. Eat early, not tables left the morning we were checking out

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank Gmonty
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Harrisburg East (Hershey Area)

Reviewed 15 April 2007

Reserved a non smoking room with 2 double beds for a trip to a concert at The Whitaker Center in downtown Harrisburg and got just what I asked for and more. The desk staff was courteous and friendly on both check in and when we asked for dinner recommendations - provided typed individualized directions via back roads into the city when we mentioned the purpose of our trip, made helpful suggestions about parking and dinner plans while checking us in efficiently and cheerfully. The location is in a suburban area about 10 minutes from downtown and very easily accessed from I-78, safe and well lit with plenty of chain stores and restaurants nearby, adequate on site parking.

The room was clean, quiet and exceedingly comfortable with absolutely heavenly beds! We found it to be spacious and spotless with nice amenities like a lap desk, small refrigerator and microwave and plenty of good lighting. The bathroom was clean and well laid out with lots of clean towels and good water pressure. Wireless internet worked without a hitch in the room with the access code issued to us with our keys and the in room desk was well situated for working.

A sign at the front desk advertised new beds throughout and ours were fantastic, plush and thick with a down comforter and lots of pillows per bed. With the shades drawn, the room was nice and dark - we could have slept all day! My friend went down to the complimentary breakfast (while I was still lounging in the aforementioned wonderful bed LOL) and reports that offerings were plentiful and fresh. She had no trouble finding a place to sit although other reviewers mentioned this was a problem.

Our trip was off-season for Hershey Park and school vacations so I can't say how the hotel holds up under a barrage of tourists, but the parking lot was full and it seemed that the hotel was far from empty during our stay and we had no problems at all. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and I'll be staying there again if I need to travel to the Harrisburg Area.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank irishstjean
Reviewed 23 March 2007

We recently stayed at this hotel as part of a Hershey hockey tournament and during a strong winter nor'easter.

First comment, in a storm, it is real easy to miss the sign to the hotel; it is back on a hill. I would like to see a more visible sign right on the road.

It was clear the hotel was having staffing difficulties; Some staff could not make it to the hotel in the storm and others could not leave. Some staff were working multiple shifts. Food was slow but I thought given the pressure of the storm the staff did very well. High marks.

As a sports team, they had us sign a bunch of ridiculous forms. Some of the items on the form they tried to have me sign were inappropriate. But what was most frustrating is after signing all these forms, they then did not enforce anything in those forms. Specifically, while the form said that there was a curfew, they did not enforce it and there were kids running up and down the hallways late into the night. The hotel was noisy and it was difficult to get to sleep. I would like to see the hotel create a reasonable team form for sign in, and then enforce it. Know that this is a loud hotel and the hotel will not stop the other team from running up and down your hallway or doing ding-dong-ditch.

The hotel admits dogs. The pools is much nicer than pictured, with foosball, ping pong, and billiards. The outside (which was covered with snow) looked wonderful with hot tub, large pool, tennis courts, and a basketball court.

Bottom line - I would have given the hotel high marks but for the running up and down the hallways of kids.

• Stayed: March 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank GenSanFrancisco
Reviewed 16 August 2006

This is a busy hotel crammed with families vacationing in the Hershey area. But we had very few complaints--the room was spacious and clean, with a fridge and a microwave, and the outdoor pool was pleasant. The hotel's location is also fairly convenient, with a grocery store, several banks, and plenty of restaurants within a short drive.

My main complaint: dirty grout in the bathtub! There's not much of an excuse for it, and it makes an otherwise spotless room seem skanky.

Also, breakfast was all right, but the only hot item was a dubious-looking egg biscuit. We found food more to our liking at the Waffle House, a few minutes west on Union Deposit Road.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank DrGoldin
Reviewed 7 July 2006

The minute we entered the lobby, there was a line of people and many of our rooms were not ready even though it was 3pm, check in time. After a half hour, we were given a room which was... not ready. We lugged our stuff back down to the lobby and was given another room. Room was ok, not the cleanest, especially in the bathroom. Some of the towels were dirty. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were plentiful and decent. Breakfast the next morning was a complete zoo!! Not only was there VERY limited seating, you could not even get to the food. Eventually, we managed to get a few items but had to bring it back up to the room to eat. When checking out, I commented to the front desk how crowded it was and they remarked that it is always this way in the summer. I thought it was because we were there on a holdiday weekend but if its always like that, they should do something to alleviate the mess in the lobby. The staff was nice and did the best they could, but the management really needs to add staff and organize the seating area for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank SL_loves_travel
Reviewed 19 September 2005

great place to stay to visit hershey park - only a 15 minute drive. the breakfast was nice although there wasn't much seating. don't buy their discount tickets to hershey park. there is much more of a discount if you purchase your tickets through the giant foods supermarkets (there is one across the street). after buying our tickets for sunday, we were able to go to a free preview of hershey 2 1/2 hours before the park closed on saturday evening. parking was $8 at hershey but there was no need to pay again the next day. monday we went to the chocolate museum (free parking for 2hrs).

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank dhsn
Reviewed 8 August 2005

My impression of this hotel got off to a bad start. On checkin, I was told there were no cribs available when I had reserved one. My 8 month old had to sleep with me for several nights. During checkin, the A/C vent above the desk drips on you. Condensation leaking on ceiling in my room as well. Other guests had similar problem but I was on the top floor so I did not ask to change rooms. My room was clean. Looked like new carpet. Maid cleaned the room but forgot towels. Took several hours before towels arrive after problem was reported. Front desk was not too friendly. You have to ask to be put on a list or your request seems to be forgotten. Pool was outside. Breakfast buffet was good. The ladies had a tough time keeping it stocked. Microwave and fridge in room. Overall, the hotel was a good value. Lots of restaurant choices on street. Very easy and short drive to Hershey Park.

• Stayed: July 2005