“Clean, Decent Place to Sleep”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #46 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Stayed here for one night after leaving Gettysburg, PA. Price was $59. Room was clean, fresh linens, hot shower and working TV. They also offered coffee and donuts in the morning for free in the office. If you need a place to catch some sleep that won't break your budget, this is it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tourist383
elysaght, Public Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2013

Thank you very much for stay with us at the Rodeway Inn! I am glad you found it comfortable and cheap! Stop by anytime!

There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn

Reviewed 8 July 2012

My nephew and I booked a room online for the Roadway Inn. I read mixed reviews but gave the hotel the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes reviews can be unfairly harsh and I have been pretty lucky in terms of weeding out the good from the bad. We pulled in at around 10:00 PM and felt little hesitant as we pulled in to the driveway but looks can be deceiving. We checked in and the gentleman behind the desk was very pleasant and friendly. It was all downhill from there. As we opened the door we noticed a foul odor. It was a non-smoking room but it smelled very badly. As I walked through the room I glanced around to be sure that there wasn't a corpse rotting in a corner somewhere. The room was dated; the colors screamed 1970's and the room was dimly lit. Perhaps that was for the best as it made it more difficult to see the dirty mirror and the imperfections around the room. The bathroom was more than dated; it was covered by yellow tile that looked very much like my grandmother's house did in the 1970's. Some tiles were cracked and there were spots patched with concrete where a towel rack once was attached.

The bathtub was filthy; I ran a wash cloth along the bottom and it came out black. We also
found a hair that was around 12 or 13 inches long; since my nephew and I have hair that is perhaps a fraction of an inch, I know that it didn't come from us. There was a gap between the bathtub and the sink cabinet that was filled with hair, dust, and dirt. It's possible that the chunk that was missing from the wood cabinet was buried down there as well. The key feature of the bathroom was the rocking toilet. I figured that this must serve as a rocking chair/toilet combination; two fixtures in one.

I spoke with a lady in our neighboring room on the way out; she told me stories of her room that were hauntingly similar to ours. The people here are quite nice and the beds are comfortable; just don't expect anything more than a comfortable bed to sleep on and keep your expectations low... very low. I'm not all that picky but when it comes to Harrisburg, I'd say no to the Roadway Inn the next time around.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank RPCyclone
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My friends and I stayed here one night after spending the day in Hershey Park. The only thing that it is good for is that place to stay. My room had an old car freshener hanging on the light to mask a funky smell. The bathtub had hair in it. Luckily, no bed bugs. The picture that is shown up above is not what it looks like at all. That hotel is the Sleep Inn, which is right next door. We were so excited thinking we were going to be staying in that, instead we got a cheap motel. The price we booked the room for, was not what was on the bill. We had to argue into getting the price back to what was on the paper. I guess what can you expect for a cheap nights stay? You get what you pay for, although I don't think that it was even worth the nightly price to tell you the truth. The continental breakfast had stale food. The card entry didn't even work well. I had to go back to the office to get another key since I couldn't even get back into my own room! Not a good place to stay. There is no swimming pool.....

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I was driving back from Philadelphia on business, when I got tired. All I really needed was a bed, and didn't feel like paying a lot of money. So, Rodeway Inn did the job. The room was clean, but felt old. The faucet in the bathroom didn't directly aim into the drain. But I didn't have to pay much to get well-rested for the trip back to Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: This is one of those hotels where you don't have a hallway. Your room faces the outside. So if s...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
elysaght, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you so very much for pulling into our parking lot to get a decent room at a cheap rate. We do hope that we saved you some money so that you may use it for much more important things! Please don't hesitate to drop in at anytime!
Yours in hospitality,
Erin Lysaght

Reviewed 10 October 2011

I needed a place to sleep over-night for the Hershey Antique Car meet. This motel definitely filled the bill. They got all the basics right.. clean, comfortable bed, big room. My room overlooked the police parking lot, but it was reasonably quiet. Not the place I would recommend for a family vacation, but if you need just an overnight stop, this place will suffice. The bathroom was tiny, but the sink was outside the bathroom. The breakfast was also minimalist- some cereal, coffee, english muffin, danish, etc. Only two chairs and small table in breakfast area (but both mornings I got a seat). For the price, this was a good deal. Internet connection was iffy, worked OK one night, not the other. The place appeared to be full both nights I was there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 December 2010

First, get this straight - this is a cheap hotel. You remember, the kind you drive your car up to the sidewalk, and the door is a few feet from your car trunk. But, for $61 (including taxes) it is hard to beat. It was clean, the bed was soft, and we (luck of draw) had a room (142) on end that had only one bed in a room designed for two - so it looked spacious. Location is good - typical right off highway, but right next to places charging more. Go ahead, lower yourself and spend the savings on a nice dinner.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2010

First let me say the only thing good about this motel is the beds were comfortable and there were no bed bugs. Other than that you get what you pay for. (Rate was $59.95 a night) I had booked 2 rooms as I had my daughter, 3 grandchildren and niece with me on vacation to Hershey Park and booked it for 4 nights. I researched information on this motel before I booked it and found no reviews so being on a tight budget decided to take my chances. Upon arriving my daughter and I were regretting it already. We had no choice but to take it since there were no other motels within our budget. When we got to our room my ac hardly worked, dresser drawer would not close, toilet seat was broken and the carpet was moist and felt like it hadn't been cleaned since the place opened. It smelled like urine also. My daughter's room bathroom wall tiles were coming off the wall. Maid only came in and vacumned once. This I know because I noticed there was a potatoe chip under the table when we got back the the room the next day. The night before we were leaving we found bugs in my room and called the front desk. They were going to give us another room (what was the sense, we were leaving in the morning) but manager refused to do anything about getting rid of the bugs. Daughter said she saw cockaroaches outside the lobby. Did not complain about the rooms because I figured they were all this bad. I will NEVER stay at this motel again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family