“Great place to stay!”

Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We've stayed at this hotel many times, and always have a pleasant stay! The staff are always friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. It's close to Hershey and shopping is around the corner. We highly recommend this property!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
BCarey, General Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor! We are always happy to have you stay with us! travel safe, can't wait to welcome you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough good stuff about this. Well designed and appointed room. First day there we had guests in for dinner. Easily accommodated!
One if the shelves in the kitchen had a sticky substance on it. It was addressed and fixed in a very timely, thorough manner.
I had difficulty using Wi-fi and was kindly, courteously and effectively assisted by staff.
Breakfast was well stocked and presented. Only minor weak spot in my perspective was having the coffee in a seperate area.
Totally impressed with this facility.

• Stayed September 2013
BCarey, General Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Hello!

Thank you for the lovely review! We are happy that you chose to stay with us! I'm sorry you had some challenges with the internet but it sounds like we helped you through it!

Travel safe and please visit us again!
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The stay including the room, the staff, central location, everything! !!! Excellent
The lighting, the bed comfort and room amenities make you feel at home . There was a beautiful pool i didnt get a chance to access! The breakfast was huge and fresh.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello!

wow, we love the tag line! thank you! no better thing to read early in the week! please let us know if you return so that we can say hello in person!

travel safe!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We took a mini-weekend vacation, August 23-25th, and met up with another family member to share the weekend together to have some fun in the area. We were in Room 226, and the pictures that I share on this site are from our room, so be sure to see my photos. We had a Studio, 2 Queen, Sofabed Room Type, and there were 5 of us in the Room.

The best part of this Hotel is that you get a really nice full kitchen that is stocked with dishes and pots & flatware & full size refrigerator, dishwasher, garbage disposal, stove & microwave, but with all this convenience in a fully supplied kitchen, there was no dining area for a person to truly sit as a family and have a meal in the room.

The Room did have plenty of drawers & shelving for storing your things, as well as a nice work desk area. The Bathroom was very "odd" in having two ways to get into it by way of the bedroom or the kitchen closet, and although that is fine, it was not fine that only one door could be locked, which was from the bedroom to the bathroom. The other door in the bathroom from the kitchen closet, which were the broom & luggage closet, did not have any locks on them at all, and so anyone in your suite could just walk into the bathroom while you were using it, because it did not lock, which is not good if you have a family with both genders and want privacy in the bathroom.

The beds were okay in comfort, but the sofa had a nice look to it, but was in desperate need of being seriously cleaned (very dirty sofa), or in fact I feel that the sofa needs to be completely replaced because the sofa bed itself was awful, springs plunging out and very dirty mattress. Thank goodness that we came prepared with our own foam mattress cover, which made sleeping on the sofa bearable for our stay. Also, the space to pull out the sofa was very awkward because it was right on top of one of the beds in the room, and there is "zero" space between the bed and the sofa when you pull it out to use. We had to be on top of the sofa bed to make it up with the sheets because there was no space to stand to dress the bed when it is pulled out for use. The room needs to be readjusted with the sofa bed, it is not appropriate in the spot that it is in when it is pulled out and used.

This Hotel does offer breakfast, but not a very good one, but the housekeeping staff and the breakfast staff, which come in the morning, for the free breakfast were very nice people, its not their fault that the Hotel offers so very very little in choices for you to eat. The only "hot" item is a boiled egg. They have only a few muffins, some yogurt, juice & milk & cereal, but again, I've seen much better free breakfast than what they give you here. The seating for the free breakfast is okay, not terrific, but just okay.

The Hotel has a small area out back of the breakfast area, where you can use a grill and it has two sets of patio chairs & umbrellas, but the space is really tight, we did not use this area, and the grill was covered and so I don't know the condition of the grill to give a review on its condition.

The Hotel does have an indoor pool (small) and small fitness center, but we didn't use it. I did take pictures and it looked decent, but again, I didn't have the chance to use these two areas and so my review is not extensive for the pool and fitness center.

The Lobby area is very small. They have a nice self coin operated laundry room, which is a nice feature to have. They do give out free coffee/tea in the lobby area, and they have a very small mini mart, to purchase chips, cookies, juice, etc. (its not cheap prices), at the front desk area.

I did notice that this Hotel had a "Trip Advisor" sticker at the front desk as being "Excellent", and I would assume that it is an "old sticker" or perhaps someone who had a better experience than we had with the Hotel because I don't feel it deserves the rating of "Excellent", but it is not bad either. I would have said that the Hotel was just "okay" (average) in the rating, but I gave it a higher rating as "very good" because the kitchen is a nice full kitchen, although it has no dining area. The carpet Hallways in this Hotel are filthy, as well as the carpet in the elevators, and need to be replaced or have a deep shampoo, if possible. Also, in my Room, there was left from a previous resident, a pair of dirty underwear that was on the floor in the closet area. We arrived at night, and the staff was not very friendly at the front desk, and if you needed anything, like an extra sheet or towels, which we did, you had to go and get it yourself at the front desk, the Hotel does not seem to do any type of delivery for the guests for anything. Check out was fast, and they asked us if everything good, but I didn't get the feel that they really ask because they want to change anything, but just asking to be courteous when you are leaving to ask.

We went to the Hershey Zoo, which was a 15-20 minute drive from this Hotel, and we also went to Bird-In-Hand, to eat at Plain & Fancy Restaurant & the Historic Strasburg Railroad, which was about an Hour to drive from this Hotel.

This Hotel is almost across the street from a Mall that has a big name set of stores to shop. There are also some restaurants right across the street from this Hotel. This Hotel is not in a Country setting, like it is in Lancaster, but this Hotel is off the Highway area, and is an area that is for small business and shopping at a Mall, but again you can drive to Lancaster (1 hour) and see other sites near this area. I took photos, I labelled my photos in error as being Townhill Suites, but I meant to label them as Towneplace Suites, I have attached them to this review, so be sure to see them. Would we stay at this Hotel again? Yes, we would, but we would first look for another place to stay that may be a bit better, but if we couldn't find another place better then "yes" we would stay here again, it was just okay, not bad, but not fantastic as we would have liked it to be.

Room Tip: I would not recommend that a person stay on the ground floor, it is noisy with guests coming in and...
Green Features: I did not notice the practices of the environmentally friendly techniques, we did have our towels changed, but the bed sheets were not changed during our stay.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DeoniaNeveu
BCarey, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Hello!

Thank you for the detailed feedback! We appreciate the time it took. I recall you and the other guests that you travelled with and thank you for staying with us! I apologize for the garments that you said were left in your room and that we were unable to deliver items to your room at the time you arrived. We will happily bring items to our guests rooms, unfortunatley during the overnight shift this is not always possible. I will also be sharing your feedback with our carpet care vendor. We have them professionally cleaned monthly using an outside service.

Travel safe!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel simply because we had points we had to use and decided to take a quick overnight to Hershey Park. Thrilled with the front desk staff, and the accommodations were clean and quiet. Location is another plus as it's next to Bass Pro shops and some good restaurants as well. Drawbacks were the huge crowd at breakfast and not enough room to sit, as well as the limited selection. Loved the fully stocked(amenities, not food) in the kitchen in the room, dishes, silverware, wine opener, etc. Made it nice! Would totally stay here again, even without points!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
BCarey, General Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Hello!

Wow! Sounds like things went as well as they could! We hear you about breakfast... it definitely gets crowded in our space. Our breakfast is designed to allow guests to grab and go, not always what the Hersheypark travelers desire! Thank you for the great feedback! We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Central NJ
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for a family Hershey Park trip Memorial Day Weekend. I was provided a handicap accessible room, which we didn't need or ask for. Although we didn't realize we were provided this type of room until we took showers. We were NOT happy with the bathroom. There was only a small lip separating the shower stall floor to the rest of the bathroom floor; and the whole bathroom got drenched. Also, the shower stall was very moldy. I complained to the hotel manager the very next morning; and was provided 2 bedroom upgrade for the 2nd night for no additional charge. The manager made us very happy with the upgrade. The 2 bedroom was very nice and clean (including the bathroom) and had no complaints. Additionally, the free continental breakfast offers a very limited selection. Lastly, the TownePlace Suites is a good choice for the Harrisburg / Hershey area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
BCarey, General Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Hello!

I'm glad that we were able to upgrade you, I just wish it had been for a better reason! We don't typically have mold issues at this hotel so I am really concerned that this existed. I am glad we were able to move you promptly.

If you visit us again please reach out to me so I can ensure your stay is 100% ! Thank you!
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My family and I enjoyed a last minute getaway in Harrisburg, PA. My husband is a Marriott Rewards member and had reserved a one-bedroom suite for our family of four. When we arrived to check in, the very nice gentleman at the front desk (I apologize for not getting his name, but we arrived around 9:30pm on 8/29/13) pleasantly surprised us by informing us that we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. That was a great thing since our 15 year old twins enjoy their own space! It was a lovely suite with a full kitchen, 2 bedrooms with very comfortable beds and a pull out couch in the living area. My only criticism would be this; the only mirror in the entire suite was located in the only bathroom. That just is not sufficient for a family that has 2 females! I would suggest putting mirrors in the bedrooms. Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hello!

We are so glad you chose us for your visit to Central PA! I'm glad we could upgrade you! You are so right... we need another mirror in all of the rooms. The good news is that our guest rooms are getting refreshed in the beginning of 2014 and guess what was in the top 3 of our requests?? Yes, a full length mirror. While Marriott didn't design us to have one we have heard loud and clear (and I agree) that we need them so we have requested that they work them in. Thank you for your support!

Travel safe, we hope to welcome you back!