“Ok but high priced”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Airport Hershey
Ranked #14 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I am a La Quinta loyalist and so because I travel for a living I do my best to go out of my way to stay there. This property is on the lower end as far as La Quinta Inns go. We have stayed at this property three times. We stayed here on vacation last year during Hurricane Sandy (long story! Lol) and it seems to have gone down a bit even since then. The property is in need of a renovation big time. If it had not been for me trying to reach my next level in their rewards program I would have kept going on our way to Connecticut. The carpets are old, the hallways dreary and it has that "cheap hotel smell" when you walk in the lobby.

The price ($98) did not match the value. When I asked about negotiating the price at check in they actually offered me $125. I understand the higher summer rates but the quality of this place did not match the price.

Front desk staff at check in were cordial but not overly friendly. More of a "ok I'll check you in if I have to". They did not ask me if I needed anything or offer any helpful information. There were no beyond the call of duty pleasantries of any kind.

I do pass thru this area several times a year but I probably will be looking for a different place to stay unless the rate at the time needed is what I paid last year ($60). The bottom line is this: the price I paid necessitated a critically low, unfavorable review.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Airport Hershey

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Clean and comfortable rooms. Small microwave and fridge. Door of A/C broken off, but did not affect operation. Monotonous breakfast selection, but stocked and attended well. (cereal, waffles, bagels, muffins, bread, fruit). Found best rate through La Quinta website that was considerably lower than other websites for the same room. Stayed a week, so they only cleaned the room three times. Not enough towels supplied for more than 2 people.

Room Tip: Had room on first floor at the end near a side door. Very quiet and convenient.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Gaston NC
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The rooms were extremely clean, and well organized. The beds were EXTREMELY comfortable. The staff were courteous and professional, and the food was well balanced in nutritional value. We would most definitely sleep there again because of the staff and their timely service.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We checked in and we reserved a king suite/apartment and were pleasantly surprised when we first got to the room. Large living room , mater bedroom, full kitchen, dining room. Then the fun started. The furniture was well worn including holes in the upholstery, carpet was soiled, no drapes in living room just vertical blinds that don't shut out any light. Went into the bathroom and the closet in the bathroom has bifold doors which was just hanging by one pivot pin and would not stay closed. The open end was no longer attached to its pin which was bent. Room needed a lot of repair. The kitchen was a health nightmare, stove had grease, food and other things all over the knobs handles and control plate. The wall had something black on it that had drip runs going down the wall. Using a wet paper towel I wiped a part of the wall and the paper towel turned black, my wife spilled some water on the floor and when I used paper towels to wipe it up it turned black so just to test I moved to another part of the kitchen and poured some water on the floor and wiped it up and found the same filth. The more we looked the worse it got. The continental breakfast left a lot to be desired compared to other LaQuinta's we have stayed at but was ok. Will not stay at this one again. Only reason we did was because it was the only one in the area that ad two rooms and there were three of us so we needed a two room suite.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2013

this hotel i must say was a disappointment. i am not strong opinionated so i will try my best to justify myself. my family traveled together and we rented 4 rooms. the cost per room was with tax $120, which i thought was very pricy compared to other hotels near by. the main entrance slide door was making a sqeaky noise when we were going in, and i knew this is not a good sign. then the lobby was dirty and dusty. we took the elevator, it makes noise and super slow. the stairs was worse, very dirty and smelly. we got to the room, the carpet was old and dirty. the pillow and bed sheet had stains. the safety lock inside the room didn't work. the shower head was rusty, the hanger for the hanging cloth in the bathroom was broken. the cleaning service refused to clean our room the next morning because one of us were in the room, its un heard of! so they did not clean our room. the breakfast was ok, they had coffee and apple juice and orange juice available at the lobby the whole time, which i was glad. i had high expectation of la quinta, but after staying in this hotel, i am definitely going to think twice before staying at another one.

Room Tip: we booked total 4 rooms when we traveled as a big family, 3 rooms on 2nd floor and 1 on the 3rd floo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The hotel staff was very courteous and noted all of our booking requests immediately upon check in. The room as clean and comfortable and located near several restaurants. Our only issue was the size of the breakfast area. It's rather small and was full when we went down to have breakfast at 8:00AM on a Tuesday morning. Because there was no room, we went to a restaurant instead of being able to take advantage of the free breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I didn't listen to the bad reviews on here and should have. I was in Harrisburg on business for 3 days.

I checked in and was almost done when I noticed a sign that said - no hot water from 9am to 3pm. No date on it. So I said to the desk clerk, when is that? Tomorrow. Great! But i was out most of the day so knew I could shower before 9 and be back after 3pm. Annoyed me that he didn't point this out and I had to ask.

Anyhow, I arrive back at 9:30 pm, still no hot water. And the next morning for my 6:30 am flight, still no hot water. As I checked out the girl at the desk didn't ask how my stay was, nothing. But I took the managers business card and sent him an email.

On the whole, I know this hotel is fairly cheap but I have a few expectations that weren't met - the halls smell like smoke, the carpets are original and the rooms are just plain dated - they need a reno or maybe knock the place down.

On the good side, the bed was comfortable and the maids cleaned nicely. I did make the mistake of looking at the carpet on the backside of the headboard....urg. Nasty.

There are so many nice chains in Harrisburg that I was disappointed by my choice for my short stay. I have stayed at other La Quintas with no issues. I wasn't expecting the Hilton just not expecting something so OLD. I won't recommend to my colleagues.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business