“Horrid smell would keep me away next time.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Airport Hershey
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Just stayed 2 nights in the this La Quinta hotel. First the good, the beds were very comfortable. The air conditioner worked great. The front desk allowed us early check in at no additional charge. Our rooms were ready about 1 1/2 hours early. The bad........the smell. This hotel is pet friendly. I am not sure if this is the cause of the smell or not, but the hallways have a horrible cat urine stench. This is a very, very strong odor. I notified the front desk when we were leaving that other than the smell we were happy with the room. They advised they knew about the smell and that they had a leak a few weeks ago, and they believed maybe it was seeping through the rugs. Not exactly what kind of a leak they experienced, but the smell was absolutely cat urine smell. The front desk clerk advised that others were also complaining about the smell and that she herself could smell it and unfortunately so could the diners who were trying to enjoy the complementary breakfast. One of my fellow travelers had a mouse in her room while we were in the hotel. And another friend complained about the coffee being extremely poor in the complementary breakfast buffet. I would have to say, I won't be returning to this La Quinta ever again.

Room Tip: There are plenty of other hotels in the area, my advice would be to look elsewhere. Unless of cours...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 August 2013

We like to stay at the LaQuinta properties due to their liberal pet policy (no charge), free breakfast and comfy beds. We do find, however, that the quality and value varies quite a lot from property to property. On our recent trip from New England to Florida, we stayed at this hotel. (The newer LaQuinta Hershey had no vacancies when I made the reservation a few days prior.) The room was clean but there was a bit of mold around the tub grout, and the rug felt very sticky. They have grassy areas, which we appreciate for dog-walking, and provide clean-up bags for pet waste - Thank you! The bed was super comfy, nice linens, and the AC was quiet and cooled the room well. The room seemed quite small to us. We were only provided with two bath towels, rather than four. The breakfast offereings were the bare minimum I've seen at any LaQuinta, but adequate to get us going in the morning. As a whole, it was ok. For $100+ we would stay at the newer LaQuinta if available.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sippican
Reviewed 6 August 2013

To start with check in is at 3:00 pm, we checked in after 6:30 pm and after being given the keys to our room we open the door to see that the room had not been cleaned at all after the previous people left. Gross! The staff member at the front desk was very apologetic and gave us another room immediately and at least this one was clean (although it did smell a little funky -- most likely the air conditioning unit). The next morning we wake up only to start killing bugs in the room. Several spiders and a large centipede. When we returned to the room late that night we see that it had not been cleaned at all! Bed was not made, garbage not taken out, no new towels, did not remove the old towels, etc. After talking to the front desk housekeeping came by the next day to clean but not without the housekeeper giving me attitude and rolling her eyes that we were still in the room at 9 am. Thankfully the room was cleaned and she took all the towels and didn't leave us with any new! The breakfast was mediocre and is ok if you are content with corn flakes and apple juice. I also noticed that there is a cigarette smoke smell in the hallways (perhaps from smoking rooms or from staff that smoke outside of the side entrances). The manager was accommodating when I explained our experience and did offer a way to make it right.

When I had booked the hotel several months in advance I had looked at the reviews and seen some bad ones but the majority were positive. I should have listened to the bad reviews. I much rather would have spent the extra money to stay elsewhere. After this experience with La Quinta I will be very hesitant to stay at another.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2013

my wife and i stayed at this la quinta inn on august 2nd of this year. looks ok from outside but its a little run down when your inside. check in was at 3 but they had no king rooms done yet so we had to wait. got our room at 3-30. room was made up nice . my wife liked it at the beginning but a few things made her change her mind. stains on the rugs and on a chair. shower had mildew stains around it. thought price was alittle steep for condition of motel. to close to hershey pa. we have stayed at alot of la quinta inns on the east coast and by far this one doesn"t rate at the top. we probably won"t be coming back to this one again. bed was kind of hard. we both didn"t get a good nights sleep. room where they serve breakfast is kind of small. we are gold card holders and we like the the extra services that go with it. so one bad apple won"t spoil the rest.

Room Tip: don"t bring ur bathing suit . this one doesn"t have a pool
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2013

For starters, check in is at 3:00 p.m. We needed an earlier check in as we were flying in to attend a large family function and wanted to check in and freshen up first. I called the day prior to our arrival and was told to call back the next a.m. which I did to be told to call back around 11:30, which I did. I was told a room might be ready at 12:30. So, we headed on over and now the story is that a room might be ready at 1:30. Well, we had to get to our family gathering and couldn't wait around. We could see down both ends of the ground floor hall that rooms were being cleaned. Was not one room available? We (three of us) took turns using the lobby bathroom to change clothes. Two other groups came in while we were there also requesting an early check in and were told the same thing we were. So.....they got in line to change clothing in the lobby bathroom.
The lamp bases in our room were thick with dust and there were hairs on the bathroom floor.
Don't be mislead by the word "Airport" in the name of this hotel. They are not close to the airport as one might think. And.....no shuttle to and from airport.
Also, breakfast is served beginning at 6 a.m. M-F and 7 a.m. Sat and Sunday's. What good is that if you have an early flight which we did both times we stayed there.
Other than the above mentioned, the room was fine. They were very busy and there was a wait to get checked in.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at this facility for four nights with our dog. We were greeted by the staff and the general manager. They could not have been more helpful! we were here to do some research on the family. The staff gave us directions to where we needed to go. The breakfasts were great. The room and bed were very comfortable. We can only give this facility the best recommendation. Congratulations to the management and total staff. We will return again as we continue our study. Dr. Jim, Lynne, and Angel

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta