“Great spa services but horrible rooms.”

Felicita Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #43 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great spa services but horrible rooms.”
Reviewed 6 July 2005

The sign to turn into the main facility is covered by a bush and you miss it if you do not drive slow. The spa services were fantastic although they automatically added a 20% gratuity onto the bill instead of allowing you to give one yourself. The air conditioning in the rooms were so loud they woke you up every time they kicked on. This was confirmed by another couple staying in another room. Initally there was a chair in front of it preventing proper cooling of the room. The temperature did not stay consistent to the point you would wake up from either being too cold or too warm. The bed linens were really nice but the bed itself was uncomfortable and I woke up with excruciating pain from tossing and turning all night. The amenities were the same as you would find in any hotel with nothing special. The Tavern, although advertised to be open when we were there, was closed. The second restaurant they recommended was also closed. We had to eat at the Grille unless we travelled off the grounds into Harrisburg. The only food offered were sandwiches and french fries. The sandwiches and fries were really good, but you can those just about anywhere. Who goes to a resort to have these items? Very disappointed that the resort was not a place to stay for comfort or rest. Enjoy the spa and the golfing, but do not stay overnight!!!

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 27 June 2005

Felicita gets a very mixed review.

First, the good: the gardens are beautiful, the rooms are spacious and nicely decorated, the food is tasty, and the reasonably-priced spa services are great. The staff is very nice, though not always as accomodating or competent as they should be.

Then, the bad: we could not use the pool (out of service) or the tennis court (mgmt. allowed a family to reserve it for the entire weekend). Restaurant service was s-l-o-w (45-minute wait for lunch and 90-minute wait for dinner). The tour of the private gardens (arranged weeks in advance) had to be rescheduled when the guide did not show up.

Finally, the ugly: there were infants and children in the spa lounge. We were relaxing in spa robes, awaiting services, while a large family with young kids was eating lunch. None of us has ever encountered kids in a spa. That was ridiculous and unacceptable.

Bottom line: If you really want to stay at a "premiere Pa. resort," go to Nemacolin.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank Innl0ve
Reviewed 31 October 2004

I second every good thing in the previous review, but we did enjoy The Tavern. My husband and I were given an extensive listing of nearby restaurants (and directions) at the registration desk. Although we had intended to explore the area and possibly eat elsewhere, we were so-o-o-o relaxed after our excellent massages that we simply didn't feel like going any further than The Tavern, where the soothing atmosphere only added to our feeling of serenity - and our food was delicious.

One very specific recommendation: When you're sitting in the common area waiting for your treatments, seek out and enjoy a copy of the beautiful book that explains the history of the property. It helps to put it into perspective.

We explored the Italian Garden the next morning and vowed to return for a guided tour of the other gardens "in season" next year - and we're definitely interested in a golfing package. Who knew such a fascinating place was so close to us? We were still relaxed when we returned home, and it felt like we had been away very far, and very long.

• Stayed October 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Colts Neck, NJ
Reviewed 28 October 2004

We just returned from a mother/daughter weekend getaway and had a wonderful time. The resort is located about 10 mins. from Harrisburg town center down a beautiful rural road. As noted by other guests, the grounds are impressive and views of the hills are stunning from your balcony.

The accommodations are 1 & 2 story buildings within an easy walk of the lodge which houses the spa, fitness center, hot tub, front desk and lounge. Tennis courts and an outdoor swimming pool are also nearby.

The rooms are pleasantly furnished and have a convenient extra sink/vanity in the bedroom. While the bed was comfortable, I had a real problem with the rock hard pillow. I requested something softer, but was told they didn't have anything else.

I can't say enough nice things about the spa. The staff is very professional, yet friendly. We got excellent restaurant recommendations from the various therapists and Donna the manager (much better than asking the front desk). I had a wonderful facial from Shereise and one of the best massages I've ever had from Veronica.

The lounge everyone is moaning about is one of the best features of the spa/lodge. It is a spacious room with a big stone fireplace and picture window overlooking the hills. There are comfy chairs and table + chair combinations, also outdoor deck seating for warm weather. On the buffet is a selection of flavored waters and juices, coffee, tea, yoghurt, fruit, granola and bagels.

I suggest you arrange for a spa lunch if you are going to be spending several hours at the spa. They offer delicious salads and wraps for a nominal fee. We really enjoyed the entire spa experience.

While it is true a few lodge guests use the room, it is predominantly spa patrons, plus the room is plenty big for everyone to have their own space. The spa robes are oversized and I did not feel exposed or uncomfortable sitting there relaxing between treatments.

I also can not recommend the resort's restaurant. We ate there on Saturday evening and had an adequate, but not exceptional meal. There were definite staffing/timing problems. Much better to hop in the car and drive into town. Harrisburg has lots of wonderful eateries. For breakfast we went to the Cracker Barrel which is about 10 mins. in the opposite direction.

I would highly recommend this resort for either a romantic couple's getaway or for a group of girlfriends who want spa treatments but not spa food.

5 Thank scasci
Reviewed 13 October 2004

Everything is in place for this to be a great resort but they come up short in too many places. First the good. The rooms and bathrooms are very spacious and comfortable. If you get a top floor room at the lodge you will have a deck with a great view. The grounds are beautiful and you can spend all day wandering through the garden. One note about the grounds, their web site mentions that they have many different gardens however guests are only permitted access to the Italian garden. You have to be on a tour (only offered once on Wed and once on Sat.) to see the others. However, the Italian garden is huge and has lots of places to explore and hide away. In general just being there you feel far away and very relaxed.

Now for the not so good, such as the dining situation. There are 2 dining choices at the resort. The "Grille" which is actually the bar in the golf clubhouse, and the Tavern which is a nicer more upscale restaurant. You will have to drive to both. We ate dinner at the Tavern on a Friday and a Saturday (it is not open on Sunday). I would think that the management would expect that the Tavern would be busy given that most of the 50 or so rooms were occupied and it was the only real dining choice for the guests. However both nights the Tavern was grossly understaffed. The staff that was there did the best they could to keep up and we tried to be patient but the overall attitude of the staff was "we can't believe how busy we are tonight" and it just got really old. As for the Grille, they have a breakfast buffet on weekends and al a carte breakfast on weekdays. They are the only choice for breakfast. Saturday we arrived for breakfast at 9 (the buffet is from 8 - 11) to find most of the food gone and one confused looking server trying to explain to us that there was a big rush at 8 because there was a golf team and a wedding party that came all at one time. Again, 50 some full rooms and they are surprised that their guests might want food! For the record when we did manage to get food, it was very good.

The Spa, well again, close but... First the spa isn't that old, about 8 years I believe, but it looks out dated already. They need to remodel if they are going to be a first class spa. And we had a similar experience at a previous reviewer. You change into your robe wearing little if anything under it only to be led to the lounge that is open to all lodge guests. It is very uncomfortable and just shouldn't be. The spa services were fantastic and I will admit after a treatment or two you tend to not care about the other people in the lounge.

And finally the staff. For the most part they were very friendly and as helpful as I think they are trained to be. Here's what I mean. We went to the front desk on Saturday morning and asked for suggestions for things to do in the area. Instead of pre-printed list or map like most hotels would offer we were only offered directions to the mall (on the complete opposite side of Harrisburg) or the movie theater. We ignored both and just got in the car, turned left out of the parking lot and found nothing. When we checked out on Monday we decided to take a different route. We ended up passing a nice park on the river about 5 minutes from the lodge, driving through several nice towns, past nice restaurants and finally at St. Thomas coffee shop in Linglestown (a must for any coffee drinker). This is exactly what we were looking for when we asked the front desk clerk/manager for things to do.

Again, the pieces are there, they just need to get it together and get some good management in place.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 September 2004

I stayed at the resort, but was unable to use the spa. I toured the Gardens which I found was very peaceful. I loved the rooms which reminded me of little cottages. The rooms was wonderful and I loved the big fluffing beds, which I jumped in immediately upon entering the room. This was a great experience because it was nothing compared to what I usually do. The Gardens made me feel like I was in a world of my own. They were completely beautiful. I will be visiting again and planning on using the spa.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 July 2004

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at Felicita, and were totally refreshed. The gardens are amazing- I can't wait to see them in 10 years when they've had time to grow some more. Everyone at the spa was professional and curteous. The manager of the gold club was extremely friendly. We had an amazing, relaxing time, and we can't wait to go back. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrisburg
Red Carpet Inn Duncannon / Harrisburg
Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisburg
#19 of 50 in Harrisburg

Been to Felicita Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!