“Harrisburg/Hershey”

Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Susquehanna, United States
“Harrisburg/Hershey”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Not up to Best Western standards. Felt like everything was just surface clean. Strong pool smell through out the hotel. Hot and muggy hallways. Small noisy elevator. Less than enthusiastic staff. Location was more industrial than country setting. room air conditioning worked but was noisy. Refrigerator had a Freon leak. Never had a problem with any of the Best Westerns we stay in until now...Disappointing

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Michael E
hotelbwhbg, Front Office Manager at Best Western Harrisburg/Hershey Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Mr Michael,
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
i apologize about your overall bad experience i can assure that you will have a better experience next time,I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.
If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 7176520101.
BEST WESTERN Harrisburg/Hershey Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. My father in law booked the rooms, so I did not deal with the check in and check out. I can say though that he had issues at both the check in and check out and was pretty upset. There were issues with the bookings and then they wanted to charge him more even though he had prepaid. Things finally got settled, but he was not happy.

As for the room, it was big enough. However, the cleaning staff needs to be spoken to about things. My room for instance had toilet paper left in the toilet. It didn't appear to be used, but still, the last thing one wants to see when going to a room is toilet paper in the toilet. The toilet takes forever to flush. There were stains on the shower curtain. The bathroom overall just felt dirty.
The beds were comfortable. The carpet, for the most part, passed my white sock test. Dirty carpets tend to be my biggest pet peeve. The desk area seemed sticky, so I used baby wipes to wipe everything down. The WIFI was very spotty. Upon returning to our room on the second day, there was a nice USED facecloth sitting on the end table. It smelled like it had been used with cleaning materials to wipe things down. The mini fridge and microwave were nice to have.

The pool was a little small, but the hotel is small, so it wasn't that busy when we used it.

The breakfast area is tiny. Be prepared to take food up to your room. It was your typical free breakfast. Eggs, sausage, waffle, cereals, and some bread and pastries. Watch out for the juices, we got what was supposed to be orange juice one morning, but it was pretty much just water. Remember how I said the WIFI was spotty? Well, I tried to use the computers in the lobby, and it still seemed to take a while for some pages to load up. Not to mention that someone had messed up the printers, so it took forever for things to print.

The last night, my room key stopped working, so I had to go and get a new one.

Another thing to consider with this hotel is its location. Yes, it is close to Hersheypark. However, as others have stated, there is a barrier separating the road. So you have to go down and make uturns to get to the correct direction...not a problem, but it is annoying.

The staff was friendly. I think this hotel has the ability to be a really good hotel. I think the housekeeping needs to be improved.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
hotelbwhbg, Front Office Manager at Best Western Harrisburg/Hershey Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2014
Dear valued guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property your words are very important to us because they help us and tell us what we are not doing right, I am sorry to hear that you didn't catch us at our best with concern to the rooms being messy. That is not typical of this hotel as our housekeeping staff is trained to do exceptional cleaning. However, I apologize because its not acceptable at all and I am sorry you experienced that. Please consider staying with us so we can provide you with exceptional service hope to see you again in the future.
Front office manager
Best Western Harrisburg/Hershey Hotel
7176520101
State College, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Overall I had a very pleasant stay at the hotel, if I were going to go to Hershey Park for pleasure I would certainly stay here. However our stay was due to Medical reasons for a family member and I found leaving the hotel to go to the medical center was not convenient due to the divided highway issue and required going out of the way by a few extra minutes.

Dear Jill,
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 7176520101.
Harrisburg/Hershey, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I requested extra pillows on reservation. Front desk said they were out of pillows. With a few extra dollars, maid was able to find one more pillow. Very small pillows for king bed. Breakfast area is extremely small and unaccompanied children made it completely useless. Very little seating too. Appeared to be a great breakfast but we weren't able to take advantage of it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Massapequa, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel twice, while taking our kids to Hershey Park. It ihas been clean with ample parking. The beds were quite comfortable and there is free wifi which is great for down time. The breakfast included waffles, eggs, sausage, bread/bagels/toast, yogurt, cereal, etc. So there should be something for everyone for a quick bite before road trip or a day at the park. One night after the park, we even went in the indoor pool. It's about a 10 minute ride to the park. We would stay here again. I did think we paid more this year.

Dear Christine,
morristown, NJ
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just went to quilt show in hershey. Found this hotel which was half the price of hotels near hershey. Own about 15 minutes drive to Hershey. Room was clean and quiet and modern.
Room on second floor had great wi fi and a big television, Room seems recently renovated.
Loved that there was no bedspread just duvet covers. Many soft pillows on each bed.
2 negatives- Pool is too small, breakfast was so-so. Give it up and go next door to a real restaurant.

Room Tip: Dont take a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
Telford, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2014

the room was nice--clean..décor nice, but the breakfast had a lot to be desired. There was very little variety of offerings and what they did offer was lousy. The breakfast staff did not clean up spills or tables. There was not enough seating room in breakfast area. On our second day there, we went out to breakfast..the first days experience was awful. The desk clerks need to be trained as well; very matter of fact--not pleasant..didn't offer any good advice or advice at all for that matter. They were very "robotic".

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank Cesare A. R
Dear Cesare,
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. I apologize for not meeting your expectations and assure that you will have a better experience next time. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.