“Just an ok place”

Best Western Harrisburg/Hershey Hotel
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed at this hotel on the first leg of a 10 day Pennsylvania vacation. The room was clean and of acceptable size. The pool is small and does not present well. The water was neither warm, nor what I would consider "crystal clear". Our outdoor, inground pool at home is cleaner by far.

The free breakfast was unusable to us. The breakfast area is small and in the lobby. It was packed and inaccessible every morning. Instead, I drove to McDonald's and brought breakfast back to eat in the room.

By comparison, this was the better part of my trip. The next leg of our stay took us to a Best Western in Dunmore , PA. That hotel had a massive carbon monoxide leak that caused an evacuation and subsequent closure. It remains close over a week later. Although we were poisoned by monoxide and evacuated, the Dunmore Best Western billed us for our stay.

I am done with Best Western hotels. There have been far too many incidents with carbon monoxide deaths (See Boone NC three deaths and Allentown Pa).

1  Thank John M

Reviewed 2 September 2014

This hotel is clean and comfortable, and only 10 minutes from Hershey Park. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the early breakfast is a great way to start the day! This hotel is not huge, 3 floors with maybe 20 rooms on each floor..? which is great. There is ample parking, and quick elevators. Breakfast is from 730 til 930 am, self serve and a nice array of choices. We requested 2 rooms together, and they accommodated us in our reservation. Will definitely stay here again!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
hotelbwhbg, Front Office Manager at Best Western Harrisburg/Hershey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Dear Guest,

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My family and I recently took a vacation to Hershey Park. We decided to stay at the Hershey/Harrisburg Best Western. What a bad decision that was. As soon as we checked in we were responsible for paying our stay up front. Our stay started out well, the room was cleaned and we went about our day. After a long day at the park we came back to our hotel room. I noticed that the bathroom floor and shower was covered with hair. I also noticed stains on the carpet. The room did not look like it was cleaned just looked like the bed was made. I then noticed that the toilet was not flushing. I then went to use the phone to call the front desk and it was broken. My son approached the front desk to ask if someone could look at the toilet. The gentleman handed my son a plunger. I didn’t know when you went to hotels we had to fix the bathroom ourselves. After I fixed the toilet it continued to clog and make a whirlpool noise the entire stay. This kept me up all night. I then would turn the air conditioner on and it would constantly turn off, making the room hot and musty. The next morning I decided to confront the manager about the cleanliness of the hotel room. He then sent the maid over to me at breakfast. She said “you don’t like the way I cleaned your room.” I said there was hair on the floor and it didn’t look like you vacuumed. Of course she is going to say she cleaned the room, her job is on the line. I then approached the manager how unprofessional that was. He should have handled the situation by not getting me involved. The manager did absolutely nothing for me throughout my stay. Then everything I put in the refrigerator became frozen, the manager told me I touched the knob. My daughter looked through the refrigerator, there was no thermostat. I also recommend not using the pool my son left the pool with black stuff all over his skin. This hotel was horrible. I now know why it was previously was a Super 8. It was dirty and the staff was extremely unprofessional. Please do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

6  Thank Dr B
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Very clean hotel and everything was great, except for the free breakfast. It may be better if you get there first thing, I didn't get there until 0830 and everything was gone. The pool was nice and I must say that the room was very clean. All in all a great room for the price.

Dear Mr Charles,
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 7176520101.Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

my gps didn;t have this hotel listed. used the address. told the clerk and he said it was a super 8 before. been a best western for a year and a half. loved our room. prettiest bathroom ever. only downfall was the breakfast area was too small. couldn't find room to sit so we went to the diner next door.

1  Thank Marcia S

Dear Marcia,

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I booked here thinking it would be a nice place. It wasn't - the staff was rude and very difficult to understand. Then to top it off I get a knock on my door at 12:30 am asking if I left something vibrating in my bathroom. REALLY???? Then when i confronted the management the next day he was very passive and not willing to explain any further why someone would knock on my door at 12:30. The breakfast was horrible - if you didn't get their before 7am it was picked over and they were not willing to put out any extras when asked. The lobby wreaked of pool chlorine and they had all the A/C's off in the hallways making it very uncomfortable to walk the hallways. would not stay here again

2  Thank kriscat1

Dear Kris,
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. I apologize for the inconvenience but it was an unexpected problem and had be resolved and since you were next to room which had a problem our staff needed to make sure you that you were not having any problems and whether or not the vibrating sound was coming from your room? I apologize and wish you would understand the situation.
Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. I appreciate your loyalty to our brand and hope you would visit us again and give us the chance to serve you better.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have stayed at this hotel in the past as part of a trip to Hersheypark that is less than 15 minutes away. The hotel is clean, has an indoor pool and offers a standard continental breakfast. The hotel staff are VERY nice and helpful and the rooms, while not exceptional, are very good. We will absolutely stay here again.

Dear Tom,