“Interesting and well done museum”

State Museum of Pennsylvania
Ranked #7 of 55 things to do in Harrisburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum housing more than two million objects associated with or significant to the history and heritage of Pennsylvania.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We really enjoy the natural history sections of this museum which do a good job of presenting Pennsylvania's history and environment. The mechanical exhibits and old vehicles are also consistent favorites with my kids.

This time we also viewed several art exhibits. Those were frankly pretty bad all around, especially the one that was SUPPOSED TO BE about accessibility. The juried art show of new works had 10 bad pieces for every decent one.

My advice: stick to what this museum does well - history, and avoid the "art" as it isn't worth your time.

There are newer reviews for State Museum of Pennsylvania

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Very nice museum. Had a nice variety of everything throughout history from the civil war period to transportation, to animals, and other artifacts. I would definitely stop here again. They also had a separate area for children's education and learning.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Wow, I didnt even know this was in Harrisburg and what a surprise! It has modern art, antique cars, dinosaurs, animals, history and so much more all rolled into one package. Theres something for the kids and adults to enjoy. Absolutely worth it!

There are 3 floors to explore. There are elevators, and stairs so that the museum is accesible to all. The top floor is mostly dedicated to the history of the planet and this includes a very nice dinosaur display. Theres plenty of placards to read so you know what you are looking at.

Every floor has displays set up in a logical and understandable order. Easy to get to and plenty of room for everyone to actually read and enjoy the displays.

The first floor has a special area just for kids...I didnt go in but it looks like there is interactive toys/displays in the room to keep them occupied. There is a gift shop but I ddint get a chance to go in lookj around as I was pressed for time.

It was very reasonable to get in the museum. I think it was $7 a person. You could easily spend a few hours there.

Parking is an issue but the clerk at museum can direct you where to park for free if theres a spot available.

2  Thank geminigirlNewYork
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I visited with a friend and six of our combined children, ranging in age from 17 months to 18 years old. All of the kids had a great time, especially the four in the 7-12 range. We saw the planetarium show that is narrated by Liam Neeson and it was fabulous! It kept the childrens' interest the entire time. They really enjoyed taking pictures in front of all of the wildlife exhibits. We spent three hours and I think that was a good amount of time.

1  Thank JLZplus4
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Likes: Fascinating information about the people, geology, and former residents (dinosaurs) of Pennsylvania. Beautiful mural between the 2nd and 3rd floors. I visited on a Wednesday afternoon...and just about had the museum to myself.

The "Hall of Mammals" display is a little dated, but the dioramas are fun to look at.